Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
Results 145 to 156 of 411

Thread: Marlon Brown

  1. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,054
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marlon Brown



    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Against the Jets in 2011. And after really struggling, he never got back on the field with the O. Maybe it shows a willingness on the part of the coaches to give a guy like that a shot, or maybe the will remember that experience and be a little more reluctant to try it again. We shall see.
    He had targets vs Rams and Jets, and one other game later in the year. My point is, if they see a guy who has promise and might make an impact, they are likely to give him a shot.

    Not saying Marlon would start, but could get a sizeable role if no one else is stepping up.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  2. #146

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    We know this coaching staff likes to bring rookies along slowly. Couple that with the fact that WR is one of the hardest positions to learn at the NFL level, and I would he be shocked if Brown is lining up in 2 WR sets at all this season. Derrick Mason, for example, was in the league 4 years before he got his first start.

    Brown has definitely shown flashes. But you think the coaches will trust him to know the entire playbook, all the hot reads, the entire route tree, all the audibles and terminology, down field blocking, etc, etc? I think a lot of people are putting some pretty lofty hopes on this undrafted rookie.

    I think its going to be Jones getting the majority of those snaps, esp first half of the season. And I wouldn't put it past Ozzie to pick up or trade for a vet to fill that role.
    Just bear in mind that Mason was here, and then Boldin. Without those two, there's a sizable gap. (And there's no Pitta either.) And frankly, I think it's a gap that's just too big for Jones to fill. That's the opening that makes this year different than other years. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. There are risks any way you slice it.




  3. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    3,011
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Marlon Brown

    We have started rookies, but they usually were high draft picks and at times circumstances played into it.

    Injury and toncilitis for Flacco to start
    We really wondered about zero Torrey until his 3 TD breakout game.
    Justin Tucker, undrafted and handed the keys to the ranch (so to speak)
    Ray Rice in 2008 was in 13 games, 9of those were single digit carries
    Heap basically sat the first year (Shannon)
    David Reed returned until fumbling surfaced.

    So with Marlon, gotta flip a coin to guess how much of a chance he is given, especially early.
    He should get a chance upcoming to show, and I'm sure the coaches want to see....
    come regular season it is going to depend in part on Deonte, and how much Marlon lights it up this week, with an interim QB or 2.
    Heinz Field Ketchup official ketchup of the Ravens?




  4. #148

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Pump the brakes on Marlon. He has had a nice camp but it's still way early. He had at best an ok( Georgia fans would say disappointing ) career at Georgia and is coming off an injury. If you look at post a few years ago, most were saying how Doss was better than Torrey. Let the season play out. I'm hoping Doss and Brown play great.




  5. #149

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Pump the brakes on Marlon. He has had a nice camp but it's still way early. He had at best an ok( Georgia fans would say disappointing ) career at Georgia and is coming off an injury. If you look at post a few years ago, most were saying how Doss was better than Torrey. Let the season play out. I'm hoping Doss and Brown play great.
    thats my biggest issue with Brown is that knee. he looked good one game (4/4), not good another (2/5) and sat out because that knee was swollen, yet people are jumping on his bandwagon like hes our #2. Im happy with what I see out of him so far, but i think that knee and missing time is worrisome if he can only go 1 game or a few practices before needing to rest it. hopefully he plays as well as he did last game this one which makes the call a lot easier. If he plays like he did the first game, we may be looking at finding a way to put him on IR because of that knee. If im not mistaken i believe thats what Dallas wanted to do with him from the start which is why he came here.
    -JAB




  6. #150
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,372
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Marlon Brown's injury history is certainly concerning.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #151

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    thats my biggest issue with Brown is that knee. he looked good one game (4/4), not good another (2/5) and sat out because that knee was swollen, yet people are jumping on his bandwagon like hes our #2. Im happy with what I see out of him so far, but i think that knee and missing time is worrisome if he can only go 1 game or a few practices before needing to rest it. hopefully he plays as well as he did last game this one which makes the call a lot easier. If he plays like he did the first game, we may be looking at finding a way to put him on IR because of that knee. If im not mistaken i believe thats what Dallas wanted to do with him from the start which is why he came here.
    It was the Texans, but your point is still valid. They had concerns about his knee and wanted to take a "wait and see" approach before they actually signed him.




  8. #152

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    It was the Texans, but your point is still valid. They had concerns about his knee and wanted to take a "wait and see" approach before they actually signed him.
    Thanks for the correction, got the texas teams mixed up. Texans look like they missed out on a future 1-2 punch of Nuk and Brown... good for us.

    if Brown is destined for contributing snaps its worth the gamble but if hes buried on the depth chart and inactive all year anyway, id prefer him to be on IR and come back next year 100%. Coaches have to figure that one out.
    -JAB




  9. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,471
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Marlon Brown

    For Brown it depends on what Caldwell does to modify the offense. It we're talking Cam's nonsense offense, yeah, it'll take him 40 years to learn it.

    You look at New England, and what a lot of college teams do (Boise in particular) is that the playbook itself isn't so complex, the routes aren't novel. It's the looks and the tendencies are what throws off the defenses. You can run very simple routes with minimal reads. The QB's job is to read the D and hit what's open, instead of making it the WRs job to figure it all out on the fly.

    The WR just runs his route on most plays, and on others, the looks are very simple. Typically it's going to be the "rub" or the play action, or the motion, or the bunch formation is what's getting you open on a simple out or dig route a lot of the time. How many times did you get sick of seeing Wes Welker or Hernandez wide the hell open because they ran a bunch or rub? How many times did you scream at the TV and say "why the hell can our guys never be that open?" If Cam had ever had any damn sense, he'd have made use of some of this. But luckily for us all, he is now history.

    If Caldwell does more of this, (and I think he will), it takes the burden off our unaccomplished WR corps by using the above techniques, then you only need to worry about who can block down field, who has the speed and wiggle to get YAC, etc. Hell, if we did that, Doss might even be useful. But as long as we have slow developing routes out of easy to read formations, with predictable play calls, then none of our other WRs can step up. We saw wrinkles from Caldwell and they worked great. Hopefully he's had enough time in now to install more of what we need in the way of deception to our offense, and he's just got it in the holster until Game One. No need to get all "new look" during the preseason. But I do hope its there. These WRs have talent; it's just not suited to Cam's offense where you seem to need guys with 15 years in the league to run it to the degree of precision it seemed to require.

    Bisciotti, BTW, wants these young guys productive while they're on their rookie contracts. That's been made clear. The offense needs to use deception and motion in order to make better use of the younger WRs; instead of constantly looking for WR's with Usain Bolt measurables and Steve Largent precision and wondering why they can't find any.
    No one likes us, and we don't care.




  10. #154

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Watching other teams the two things I've noticed that are consistently effective in getting separation are the 3 WR bunch formations and the pick/rub plays (when done properly so that OPI isn't called). Sometimes the Ravens have done it, and IIRC, it has been effective. They just don't seem to run those formations as much as other teams.




  11. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    14,363
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Watching other teams the two things I've noticed that are consistently effective in getting separation are the 3 WR bunch formations and the pick/rub plays (when done properly so that OPI isn't called). Sometimes the Ravens have done it, and IIRC, it has been effective. They just don't seem to run those formations as much as other teams.
    Gotta have 3 receivers to run it....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #156

    Re: Marlon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Gotta have 3 receivers to run it....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I know.

    (Well...Smith...Stokley...Brown...)

    And that's also a time when Rice could be used as a WR, and Pierce could be in the backfield. There are a lot of pieces that the Ravens have if they use them creatively.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland