Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 118
  1. #49

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?



    Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    It wouldn't matter for those teams anyway since they don't share parking lots with their football teams.
    It would matter in Seattle. The stadiums there are closer together than M&T and Camden Yards.




  2. #50

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSunday View Post
    By my count, there are eight cities that would have a tough time hosting an MLB and NFL game in one day due to shared parking/facilities - Baltimore, Cincinnatti, Oakland, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, and Seattle. Only one of those eight baseball teams has a home game on 9/4. Coincidence?? I think not. SMH!
    Dun dun dun duuuuuunnnn.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  3. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    One league is growing, the other is dying. The trend is not good for baseball.

    The marque games of the world series had less than half the viewership that the Ravens/Broncos opening game. Heck, even the NFL combine managed 7.25m viewers compares to the WS at 7.6m. While Baseball is becoming more irrelevant each year the NFL is surging and isn't going to be bothered by their silliness. MLB is a nuisance, not competition.
    So? Your point would be? Navy football doesn't have a huge following either. I guess if the Ravens want to have their preseason M&T scrimmage the same day Navy has booked, they should just kick them out because no one cares about anything but the almighty NFL?

    Look, I get it. You don't like baseball. You don't like the Orioles. It doesn't change the FACT the the uber-popular NFL could easily have had this past year's game in Baltimore IF IT HAD WANTED TO.

    It also doesn't change the FACT that neither the Orioles, nor the White Sox, nor MLB are under any obligation to inconvenience themselves because the uber-popular NFL failed to plan for the possibility of the Ravens winning the Super Bowl. As they have apparently done again this year.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  4. #52

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Oh you mean that the Orioles should have taken into consideration that the Ravens may have won the Super Bowl ? ... Bc



    YES, call out the National Guard and let's get armed troops to deny the O's a baseball game so that the Ravens can (if they repeat as Super Bowl champions) play on that Thursday night... Bc



    YES again, let's forget about crime, poverty, and eroding infrastructure, but put all our municipal eggs in the "Orioles / Ravens" basket... Bc
    Glad we agree on a few things :-)

    Look, I'm sorry if I hurt any Oriole fans' feelings with my opinion, but the simple fact is that one NFL game is more important to the population of the city than one MLB game from an attendance standpoint. When the Orioles start selling out a 75,000+ seat ballpark I will change my tune. Until then, the 29k people that still care enough to actually attend an Oriole game (average attendance for 2013, per ESPN) can do so in an alternate venue or at an alternate time if MLB insists on continuing to schedule games that create potential conflicts with the NFL schedule.

    Also, I fail to see how creating one municipal code to arbitrate between conflicting civic events precludes the city from addressing more important societal issues. If you watch Dick Cass's lecture on the business of running an NFL team (available for free on iTunes U) he spells out the monetary benefit to the city and state of hosting a professional sports team such as the Ravens or Orioles or major concert (M&T hosted at least 2 this year). These events are of clear benefit to the residents of the city and as such, the city should arbitrate between what event gets what resources in the event of a schedule conflict.




  5. #53

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Form this weeks SI Power Rankings:

    Baltimore Ravens (0-1)
    The Ravens should take the tape from the second half of their game in Denver, light it on fire, then throw it into Camden Yards as a reminder to never make the defending Super Bowl champs adjust their schedule for a random Thursday night baseball game.

    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2ebqT8MZI

    Maybe they could have both games, with the O's early and simply not sell tickets to the O's game, but instead allow the first 40,000ish people that show up Raven's tix to see the O's play as well. hell, they give enough tix away anyway, and sometimes they can't even giv'em away cause no one will take them.
    This is actually a good idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bisciotti and the league would offer some sort of compensation, but it's hard to make a deal when one side doesn't return phone calls.




  6. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    Glad we agree on a few things :-)

    Look, I'm sorry if I hurt any Oriole fans' feelings with my opinion, but the simple fact is that one NFL game is more important to the population of the city than one MLB game from an attendance standpoint. When the Orioles start selling out a 75,000+ seat ballpark I will change my tune. Until then, the 29k people that still care enough to actually attend an Oriole game (average attendance for 2013, per ESPN) can do so in an alternate venue or at an alternate time if MLB insists on continuing to schedule games that create potential conflicts with the NFL schedule.
    But the attendance for this game is completely unaffected. Whatever game they were going to put there (let's say the Pats) was going to have the same attendance last Thursday that it's going to have in December. Which is the same attendance as every other Ravens game -- ~100%.

    The NFL also schedules games with potential conflicts. If the Orioles happen to make the playoffs, you s'pose the Ravens will move their home game against Green Bay? I mean, the playoffs are more important than a regular season game, right?

    The NFL could have made requests of MLB before the schedule came out. We don't need a municipal code. It's first come, first served. As it should be. I don't care if it's a Girl Scout convention at Camden Yards. If they have the place booked, they are under no obligation to change it just because the NFL decides it doesn't feel like playing a game on Wednesday instead of Thursday. It's called a contract.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  7. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,646

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    But the attendance for this game is completely unaffected. Whatever game they were going to put there (let's say the Pats) was going to have the same attendance last Thursday that it's going to have in December. Which is the same attendance as every other Ravens game -- ~100%.

    The NFL also schedules games with potential conflicts. If the Orioles happen to make the playoffs, you s'pose the Ravens will move their home game against Green Bay? I mean, the playoffs are more important than a regular season game, right?

    The NFL could have made requests of MLB before the schedule came out. We don't need a municipal code. It's first come, first served. As it should be. I don't care if it's a Girl Scout convention at Camden Yards. If they have the place booked, they are under no obligation to change it just because the NFL decides it doesn't feel like playing a game on Wednesday instead of Thursday. It's called a contract.
    That's all well and good, but explain why they didn't make it a point to keep the orioles away when navy is playing at m and t and also the first thurs next season, just so there is no issue? Like they did with every other baseball team who shares parking with the NFL team?




  8. #56

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    So? Your point would be?
    My point is the NFL will just play the game somewhere else rather than whine about it. The city of Baltimore loses a chance at an opening game celebration. Pretty simple scenario, history repeats itself.




  9. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post

    That's all well and good, but explain why they didn't make it a point to keep the orioles away when navy is playing at m and t and also the first thurs next season, just so there is no issue? Like they did with every other baseball team who shares parking with the NFL team?
    Because they haven't sold parking for the Navy game. They have sold parking to Oriole season ticket holders, and to Ravens season ticket holders. The exact same spaces sold to two different people.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  10. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    My point is the NFL will just play the game somewhere else rather than whine about it. The city of Baltimore loses a chance at an opening game celebration. Pretty simple scenario, history repeats itself.
    Then we agree. The NFL does not care about the game being in Baltimore. Not only will they not whine about it, they won't move it to Wednesday. Cuz they don't care. Isn't that where this discussion started?
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  11. #59

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Then we agree. The NFL does not care about the game being in Baltimore. Not only will they not whine about it, they won't move it to Wednesday. Cuz they don't care. Isn't that where this discussion started?
    Lol, correct. Want them to whine, stop their money.




  12. #60

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Then we agree. The NFL does not care about the game being in Baltimore. Not only will they not whine about it, they won't move it to Wednesday. Cuz they don't care. Isn't that where this discussion started?
    The point is that the NFL and Baltimore would prefer the game be played on Thursday night in Baltimore if the Ravens so happen to repeat. This is common knowledge to all.

    And the O's and MLB can easily make a schedule that leaves that night free. No hardship whatsoever to leave the night free. And yet.....they don't.

    The question is why.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland