Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Blog Entries

Re: Aaron Mellette to IR

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    losing a month or two as a rookie who is already a fringe player is even more unlikely to make an impact. Pretty simple logic going into that one. Hopefully he comes back strong and healthy for next year.
    I have to wonder though...if Pitta wasn't IR/Return, would we have used it on Mellette? Probably not, but you wonder...after Week 8 or 9, almost no point to use it.
    FOR REED, BIRK, BOLDIN, RAY, ART, TEVIN, OJ, and BALTIMORE...
    SUPER BOWL 47 CHAMPION RAVENS!!!!!!

"We don't make it easy, but that's the way the city of Baltimore is, and that's the way we are. We did this for them back home." - Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Aaron Mellette to IR

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I have to wonder though...if Pitta wasn't IR/Return, would we have used it on Mellette? Probably not, but you wonder...after Week 8 or 9, almost no point to use it.
    I doubt very much they'd have used IR/Return on Mellete even if Pitta wasn't already using it. No way to know what injuries might crop up Weeks 2 thru 8 to a more valuable player, so I suspect they'd have kept it in their back pocket.

I often think about how IR-designated-to-return was brand new in 2012, the first time teams were allowed to do that. And it allowed Ray Lewis to come back for his dramatic "Last Ride". Had it not been for that new rule, I wonder if things might not have turned out much differently. I mean, the Ravens could in theory have left Lewis on the 53 in the hopes he'd come back in January. But the possibility he could come back so soon seemed remote at the time and that roster spot was badly needed.