Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 15
  1. #1

    How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??



    This one is a little late, I've been busy with college, but this has been on my mind since the Packers game. How in the world do you stop the 49ers offense? The Packers studied hard on stopping the zone read plays, yet Colin Kaepernick still had a huge day, by going through the air and avoiding the run as much as possible. Is there any way to slow this locomotive offense down? You stop the run, they'll just carve you up all day through the air. You stop the pass, Kaep goes crazy in the run game. With a year and an offseason of starting reps behind Kaepernick, along with the clutch aspect that Boldin gives them, and what looks like chemistry between Kaep/Davis, what gives?? Do you just hope to outscore them, or is there a way to actually stop them?




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,910
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    The Seahawks will try to answer that question in a couple of days. They've got the horses to do it
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    421

    Cool Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    This one is a little late, I've been busy with college, but this has been on my mind since the Packers game. How in the world do you stop the 49ers offense? The Packers studied hard on stopping the zone read plays, yet Colin Kaepernick still had a huge day, by going through the air and avoiding the run as much as possible. Is there any way to slow this locomotive offense down? You stop the run, they'll just carve you up all day through the air. You stop the pass, Kaep goes crazy in the run game. With a year and an offseason of starting reps behind Kaepernick, along with the clutch aspect that Boldin gives them, and what looks like chemistry between Kaep/Davis, what gives?? Do you just hope to outscore them, or is there a way to actually stop them?
    You try to make Kaepernick hold the ball and run with it as much as you can and you beat the s**t out of him every chance you can. No QB will hold up for a full season that way. It's one of the reasons the wishbone never took off in the NFL. RGIII is already damaged goods from his knee injury last year and once Russell Wilson and Kaepernick get injured, teams will stop using the zone read so much.




  4. #4

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    You try to make Kaepernick hold the ball and run with it as much as you can and you beat the s**t out of him every chance you can. No QB will hold up for a full season that way. It's one of the reasons the wishbone never took off in the NFL. RGIII is already damaged goods from his knee injury last year and once Russell Wilson and Kaepernick get injured, teams will stop using the zone read so much.
    In theory, this is a very good strategy. However, as witnessed against the Pack, they tried to do the same thing, and shut down the run, but Kaep went through the air and had a HUGE game of doing so. Now, I know the Packers don't have the best defense in the NFL by any means, but they didn't even look like they ever truly had a chance of even containing them.




  5. #5

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The Seahawks will try to answer that question in a couple of days. They've got the horses to do it
    True, it'll be interesting to watch for sure.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,045

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    In theory, this is a very good strategy. However, as witnessed against the Pack, they tried to do the same thing, and shut down the run, but Kaep went through the air and had a HUGE game of doing so. Now, I know the Packers don't have the best defense in the NFL by any means, but they didn't even look like they ever truly had a chance of even containing them.
    Actually I think he's suggesting you do the opposite of what the Packers did. They sold out to stop the run, played constant zone and kept everything in front of them. As a result, the underneath stuff that Boldin is built for was wide open. Actually wide open doesn't really cover it. Uncontested comes closer.

    I would do what Baltimore did in the first half of the Super Bowl before Ngata went out. Play man up on his receivers and make him hold the ball. No easy quick releases. You will surrender yards in the run game, and risk a big play from a guy like Davis, but if and when Kaep takes off, someone will be there to belt him for his troubles. Also, any time they run an option play, belt him. Hard.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  7. #7

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Actually I think he's suggesting you do the opposite of what the Packers did. They sold out to stop the run, played constant zone and kept everything in front of them. As a result, the underneath stuff that Boldin is built for was wide open. Actually wide open doesn't really cover it. Uncontested comes closer.

    I would do what Baltimore did in the first half of the Super Bowl before Ngata went out. Play man up on his receivers and make him hold the ball. No easy quick releases. You will surrender yards in the run game, and risk a big play from a guy like Davis, but if and when Kaep takes off, someone will be there to belt him for his troubles. Also, any time they run an option play, belt him. Hard.
    Love this plan. Make him think out there, rather than just letting him do his thing. However, man to man will still be pretty hard to play against them. As you said, Davis would break free of the coverage and go for a big day, and they'd still be unstoppable in that manner. Another option is still Boldin... while he's not the fastest by any means, and has a tough time of getting separation against man, he still loves those contested passes, and is more than capable of making man to man look pretty silly against him. The end result would still be that Kaep has a pretty huge day through the air.




  8. #8

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    And that, my friends, is exactly how you stop the 49ers D.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,571
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    All it takes is some big physical Corners and Safeties. Hopefully Jimmy Smith ends up close enough to Richard Sherman to do the same thing
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,910
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    You guys love Cosell, he breaks down what happened although IMO he did a lazy job at it

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6301--nfl.html
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    Uh, better add the Colts to the list.....lol

    Jim Harbaugh must be having a baby in the locker room. Wonder what he is going to whine about at the presser.




  12. #12

    Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

    He's going to wine about his WRs not getting open, penalties and how once Indy sealed the leaks off the edge in their run defense San Fran was no match.

    Both QBs were forced to throw. Luck was more accurate and he had better WRs to throw to.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland