Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 49
  1. #1

    Ray's Grammar Intervention



    Ray Lewis is a perfectionist with high standards, at least when it came to football. Given the embarrassing way he butchers syntax, is it possible he'd seek help in this area by seeking out a grammar coach? Or would it even help at this point in his life?




  2. #2

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    I can remember watching him recently on ESPN and he repeated a sentence to correct his grammar. That showed me he was cognizant of it and must be working on it.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,493

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    I was skeptical of Ray's entrance into the sports analyst arena but I thought he's been doing quite well given his level of experience.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    14,392
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    woah boy... here it comes
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  5. #5

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    To be fair, all of these ex-athletes stumble over their words or say things that are grammatically incorrect. I've heard Steve Young say things that made me shake my head. My issue is that Ray has apparently been slotted as the pimp for the defensive side in contrast to the takes that Dilfer and Young have. It's all very formulaic and so typical of ESPN. In other words, barely watchable. Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.




  6. #6

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    I think Ray's doing fine. In fact, he's better when he just speaks what's on his mind, without worrying about syntax. His problems come when he tries to sound polished. He's not polished, and he's better that way.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,329

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post
    To be fair, all of these ex-athletes stumble over their words or say things that are grammatically incorrect. I've heard Steve Young say things that made me shake my head. My issue is that Ray has apparently been slotted as the pimp for the defensive side in contrast to the takes that Dilfer and Young have. It's all very formulaic and so typical of ESPN. In other words, barely watchable. Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.
    Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I think Ray's doing fine. In fact, he's better when he just speaks what's on his mind, without worrying about syntax. His problems come when he tries to sound polished. He's not polished, and he's better that way.
    x2
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #8

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    Given his inexperience in the field and the common knowledge that Ray probably didn't ace his English papers, he is doing pretty well. Irvin has come a good way as well. Emmitt was worse than both of them combined. Irvin didn't necessarily do anything special, but slow down his pace so that he complete the sentence more efficiently.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  9. #9

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I think Ray's doing fine. In fact, he's better when he just speaks what's on his mind, without worrying about syntax. His problems come when he tries to sound polished. He's not polished, and he's better that way.
    This raises an interesting question: Do football fans not mind if their gridiron heroes sound like dumb jocks? Not saying Ray necessarily sounds like a dumb jock, but he sure doesn't sound "educated" in the traditional sense. I picture lots of viewers cringing when Ray offers non sequiturs, double negatives and incoherent syntax. Is this an intelligence issue or an education issue?




  10. #10

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post
    . Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.
    I always thought Schlereth was quite good. Trent Dilfer also speaks quite well. I wince when he starts evaluating quarterback play, though, especially that of Flacco.

    As I'm sure most here believe, Jaworski is a cut above every one else at ESPN. He's knowledgeable, level-headed, not willing to go against the grain, and overall quite articulate with his comments. The fact that he gets less prime airtime than someone like Keyshawn Johnson shows how far that network has fallen.




  11. #11

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    My thoughts are this. He is a good communicator and he is smart. Some of his grammar will probably need cleaned up a little bit for mainstream mass appeal and some of it is fine. To an extent, it IS his personality and part of what is appealing to a lot of the viewers. As long as his content and info is good I don't think it is that big of deal... It's his style.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    2,104

    Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

    Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Ray Lewis is a perfectionist with high standards, at least when it came to football. Given the embarrassing way he butchers syntax, is it possible he'd seek help in this area by seeking out a grammar coach? Or would it even help at this point in his life?
    It's a terrible reflection on our learning institutions in this country. Having said that, Ray is no worse then some, and better then many.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland