Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 95
  1. #73

    Re: Government Shutdown



    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Obama's poll numbers are slipping.

    RCP poll average has Obama's disapproval rating at 50%, approval at 43%.
    He certainly isn't doing himself any favors talking down the markets just to try to score political points. First time in history I think that has happened.

    And just like with the sequester, his administration is trying to hurt as many people as possible during the shutdown, going so far as to spend more money and man-hours to close stuff than is needed to keep them open (even attempting to close some stuff that runs on donations, not federal funds).

    Petty and embarrassing (or it should be). But despite these despicable tactics, the press will not hold him accountable, and therefore the damage will be limited.

    The Republicans will still cave though, for all intents and purposes, you can count on it. They don't know how to deal with the hostile press, and there are too many factions trying to position themselves for the future. Spells eventual capitulation for sure.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 10-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.




  2. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    And just like with the sequester, his administration is trying to hurt as many people as possible during the shutdown, going so far as to spend more money and man-hours to close stuff than is needed to keep them open (even attempting to close some stuff that runs on donations, not federal funds).
    Which programs are those? Hard to keep up with everything...tons of homework to do!
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  3. #75

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Which programs are those? Hard to keep up with everything...tons of homework to do!
    Not sure what you mean when you say "programs."

    I am referring to the current shutdown and the national parks (primarily), but also the edict that went out to military chaplains saying they "risk arrest" if they volunteer to hold religious services during the shutdown. There are other examples popping up as well, which I can find and will add links over time.

    http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/se...-the-shutdown/

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...t-out-mistake/

    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/310030322


    As for the sequester, it was much more egregious, with memos being discovered demanding that departments do not make any adjustments to minimize effects. The examples from the sequester are easy to find, the FAA being the most obvious, where 4% budget cut turned into 10% cuts to air traffic controllers (who could have had no cuts easily if the goal was not to maximize public pain).

    I can find tons of articles on this, but it is easy to Google.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 10-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.




  4. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,693
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Over 10,000 federal workers returned to work at my old stomping grounds - APG today as Pentagon recalls workers. My agency was
    shut down for two days pr week all summer and then went back to work in Sep only to be furloughed again.

    Some of my friends were losing $500 pr month over the summer.


    http://aberdeen.patch.com/groups/pol...ison-employees
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  5. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,693
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Republicans are winning this one as House voted to pay all furloughed
    workers. The Senate is expected to pass it and Prez will sign it.

    Same thing happened in 90s when we were furloughed but still got
    paid. It amounted to a few days extra paid vacation.


    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...aws_of_victory
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  6. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Republicans are winning this one as House voted to pay all furloughed
    workers. The Senate is expected to pass it and Prez will sign it.

    Same thing happened in 90s when we were furloughed but still got
    paid. It amounted to a few days extra paid vacation.


    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...aws_of_victory
    I read a poll on CNN saying that most Americans felt Republicans were to blame for the shut down.

    Frankly, I don't give a shit who "wins"...I just want to go back to work.

    No one is really going to win in this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #79

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I read a poll on CNN saying that most Americans felt Republicans were to blame for the shut down.

    Frankly, I don't give a shit who "wins"...I just want to go back to work.

    No one is really going to win in this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    This.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  8. #80

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I read a poll on CNN saying that most Americans felt Republicans were to blame for the shut down.

    Frankly, I don't give a shit who "wins"...I just want to go back to work.

    No one is really going to win in this one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    63% "angry" at Republicans, 57% "angry" at Democrats, 53% "angry" at Obama according to that poll.

    Which is actually closer than I thought it would be considering the massive media bias on the issue.

    Democrats have been shooting themselves in the foot along the way as well. Reid's dumb response to the question on (Democrats' refusal of) funding the NIH didn't help. Nor do the stories of the administration absolutely, undeniably trying to maximize the pain of the shutdown even in unprecedented and petty ways.

    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...heater-editors

    I always thought the Republicans would "effectively" cave by declaring victory after getting a no-brainer concession from Democrats, like a walk back of the medical device tax and/or an amendment that removes the Congressional health care subsidies. But it appears Democrats/Obama may not even agree to any kind of concession, even faux concessions like those, which may be a case of Democrats overplaying their hand. At some point, despite the favorable media spin, the Democrats might start to get a larger share of the blame for being completely unwilling to do anything at all, no matter how small, to solve the problem.




  9. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Well, whenever they all decide to put down their respective rulers, there are lots of us who would like to go back to work...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,693
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Government Shutdown

    LOL - No wonder you've been all over this message board but you don't get it especially with the liberal biased
    CNN poll. You sound like Galen now.

    It's not the polls but the Pentagon is recalling workers and House voted to pay everyone and Senate is
    expected to vote for it while the govt is
    still shut down. APG saw 10,000 employees come back Mon. Federal workers always get reimbursed like we
    did in the 90s.

    The liberal media always ensure Republicans get the blame for this when they try to cut the budget and the DEMs shut the gov't down
    but it's not working out for them this time. By the time you're my age there won't be a govt as you know it.
    More than the govt will go down - like t he entire country because of this debt and you'll be poor paying
    for O BUMMER CARE which is why we call it O BUMMER CARE.

    Just relax and enjoy the vacation. Take up a hobby. Try another board-lol. Scout is a good one.

    You'll still get paid.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-08-2013 at 03:29 AM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  11. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    LOL - No wonder you've been all over this message board but you don't get it especially with the liberal biased
    CNN poll. You sound like Galen now.

    It's not the polls but the Pentagon is recalling workers and House voted to pay everyone and Senate is
    expected to vote for it while the govt is
    still shut down. APG saw 10,000 employees come back Mon. Federal workers always get reimbursed like we
    did in the 90s.

    The liberal media always ensure Republicans get the blame for this when they try to cut the budget and the DEMs shut the gov't down
    but it's not working out for them this time. By the time you're my age there won't be a govt as you know it.
    More than the govt will go down - like t he entire country because of this debt and you'll be poor paying
    for O BUMMER CARE which is why we call it O BUMMER CARE.

    Just relax and enjoy the vacation. Take up a hobby. Try another board-lol. Scout is a good one.

    You'll still get paid.
    Actually, I was just tossing that poll out there as an "oh look! The media continues to try and blame the Republicans while the Democrats remain innocent in this."

    Frankly, the Republicans are just as much to blame in this as the Democrats. Both parties are a joke and just interested in stroking their own egos . None of them give a shit about the country.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #84

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    63% "angry" at Republicans, 57% "angry" at Democrats, 53% "angry" at Obama according to that poll.

    Which is actually closer than I thought it would be considering the massive media bias on the issue.

    Democrats have been shooting themselves in the foot along the way as well. Reid's dumb response to the question on (Democrats' refusal of) funding the NIH didn't help. Nor do the stories of the administration absolutely, undeniably trying to maximize the pain of the shutdown even in unprecedented and petty ways.

    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...heater-editors

    I always thought the Republicans would "effectively" cave by declaring victory after getting a no-brainer concession from Democrats, like a walk back of the medical device tax and/or an amendment that removes the Congressional health care subsidies. But it appears Democrats/Obama may not even agree to any kind of concession, even faux concessions like those, which may be a case of Democrats overplaying their hand. At some point, despite the favorable media spin, the Democrats might start to get a larger share of the blame for being completely unwilling to do anything at all, no matter how small, to solve the problem.
    I think people are angry at everybody in the government right now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland