Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Is Harbaugh in denial?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
    read Filmstudy's post or PFF. For the most part (2/3) of dropbacks Flacco had plenty of time and he missed open receivers time and time again.
    He was definitely very inaccurate on Sunday. Not sure why or how he can be so dead on sometimes and so wildly inaccurate at other times?!?!?!?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It sounds like the times there would be considered "pressure", the Browns did a good job of actually getting sacks on those plays instead of simply "hurries" or "knock downs". I assume Film also counts ATS even if Joe gets sacked if he's just holding the ball too long which let's be honest, Joe does from time to time because our guys have trouble getting open.

People also need to realize that a smart offensive system wants your QB to get rid of the ball in 3 seconds. Your QB should be making good reads BEFORE the snap and have a good idea of what will be open based on pre snap reads...while also having an idea of what it may morph to after the snap and be able to have those thoughts in his head before the snap. Expecting a QB to go through 3-4 progressions on any type of regular basis is just going to result in holding the ball too long.

That's what makes guys like Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees so freaking good...they have freedom and confidence to continue making adjustments and calls at the LOS based on how the defense is lined up...they've got probably 85% of the information from looking at the defense, making adjustments, making some dummy calls to see how the defense reacts etc. That's why I've been happy to see Joe starting to really have more control at the LOS...it really started 2 weeks ago in Pittsburgh and you saw the offense look so much better. Last Sunday, on the second drive, you saw a lot of it and they moved the ball pretty easily, yet they got away from it again until the 4th quarter.

Give Joe full authority...you paid him all this money, don't act like you can't trust him now lol.
    I notice the same thing, it starts and end with Harbaugh he needs to let Joe do Joe, this is why we paid him we all know there is no doubt he can get it done he is as good as the rest of them on that list, we need better offensive and defensive coaches on this coaching staff wit some creativity and guys who are going to take risks and let players play to their strengths on this unit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    He was definitely very inaccurate on Sunday. Not sure why or how he can be so dead on sometimes and so wildly inaccurate at other times?!?!?!?
    That's been an issue for Flacco since day 1. He's frustratingly streaky. In his post game interview Flacco was very hard on himself. He knows that he didn't play well for much of that game.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

But, I think that was part of what Harbaugh was alluding to. He said something to the effect of "they did as well as they could given some of the situations they were forced to block into". Basically, I took some of what he said to mean that Flacco has got to do a better job of reading the defenses and making the proper adjustments at the LOS.

Edit: Here's the quote:
    I gotcha, and it's all part of the growing process.

It begs the question though...why are we waiting 6 years to actually give Joe autonomy at the LOS?

Did we really have to hit rock bottom to put it all in Joe's hands?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

It begs the question though...why are we waiting 6 years to actually give Joe autonomy at the LOS?

yea basically Harbaugh and company outcoached and out think themselves, the FO gambled by not bringing in any talent and depth on the offense with Pitta hurt they gambled, letting Boldin go they gambled, Gino they gambled. Spending money on just defensive guys in FA they gambled and cut 2 of them already, so basically now Joe is gonna be given full control to see where we are headed for the future after 6 fucking years..smh..

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Because Flacco had Ample Time and Space on 67% of drop backs. The grades are also a little confusing to me...Yanda, AQ, and Gradkowski were all at around .73-.79, but the grades were C+ (AQ, .79), D- (.73, Gradkowski), C (.75, Yanda). How does 0.02 points from from a C to a D-? I guess because Centers are expected to have a much higher grade?

Oher had a deplorable game, Monroe had a good game, and I'd say the interior OL had a mostly decent game, save for a couple plays. So on the majority of dropbacks, the OL held up well enough to give Flacco time and space to make the throw. On a few plays, they collapsed and it quickly showed in a QH, sack, or other.
    Well...as you pointed out in the seeming subjectivity of the grades themselves, isn't there some subjectivity as far as "ATS" goes as well? It usually looks like Joe is trying to throw out of a phone booth, with inadequate room to step into his throws. Does that factor in? Just asking, not arguing. And is 67% a good thing? What sort of ATS do QBs like Manning get?

At the halfway point in the season Harbaugh is not in denial. He knows the issues inside out and never has been one to throw people under the bus. It's clear there are no immediate fixes to the problems so he'll just have to ride it out with the current personnel and only hope they performed better and that includes him and all of his coaches too.

Personally, I think he has plenty of autonomy at the LOS, he just either doesn't use it or sometimes just doesn't use it very well (hence what I think Harbaugh was alluding to). Or, in this case, perhaps he knew he couldn't hit to broad side of a barn early and when with the run.

He most certainly is - like all QBs - stuck with the formations and personnel that the coaches send/leave in and the limitations that come with that, but within that, I do believe he has plenty of autonomy to call pass versus run and decide on which WR he feels is primary based on the defense.

The biggest difference - or correction needed - IMO is that I think Joe would prefer a more wide open set - more shotgun, less FB or 2-TEs (especially when it's Dickson and Clark), more 3-wide, etc. He most definitely seems more comfortable in those sets.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 11-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    yea basically Harbaugh and company outcoached and out think themselves, the FO gambled by not bringing in any talent and depth on the offense with Pitta hurt they gambled, letting Boldin go they gambled, Gino they gambled. Spending money on just defensive guys in FA they gambled and cut 2 of them already.........
    Every team is forced to take those kinds of gambles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

It worked when it was Mason, Heap, Gregg and McGahee being released. It worked when it was letting Hartwell, AD, Scott, Landry, Kemo, etc go via FA. It didn't work other times.

Unfortunately, it certainly appears that it didn't work this time.

Blog Entries

Every team is forced to take those kinds of gambles. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

It worked when it was Mason, Heap, Gregg and McGahee being released. It worked when it was letting Hartwell, AD, Scott, Landry, Kemo, etc go via FA. It didn't work other times.

Unfortunately, it certainly appears that it didn't work this time.
    the thing is on the defense we always had guys waiting in the wings so it was easy to gamble then, on offense we never had that consistency up until last season so why gamble when the unit that has struggles forever in the history of Ravens football is finally starting to turn that corner we had all hoped for?

It cuts too strongly against John Harbaugh's coaching culture. To him, coaching means getting your guys motivated and ready on Sunday, sticking to your "identity," and watching your guys execute your plan so well that they just beat the other team one on one. That doesn't really jive with handing over the reins to your QB, because as Harbaugh has said many times, "players play and coaches coach."

Why do you think Harbaugh stresses execution so much? Because to him, a game of football played well is like watching marionettes. The coaches hold the strings and the players do their jobs. There's not much room for flexibility, versatility, and adapting on the fly there. I'm not saying it's good or bad, because obviously Harbaugh has been very successful using that philosophy and so have many other similar "harsh" style coaches like Tom Coughlin.

But when it's done poorly it looks like what Greg Schiano has going on down in Tampa right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    It cuts too strongly against John Harbaugh's coaching culture. To him, coaching means getting your guys motivated and ready on Sunday, sticking to your "identity," and watching your guys execute your plan so well that they just beat the other team one on one. That doesn't really jive with handing over the reins to your QB, because as Harbaugh has said many times, "players play and coaches coach."

Why do you think Harbaugh stresses execution so much? Because to him, a game of football played well is like watching marionettes. The coaches hold the strings and the players do their jobs. There's not much room for flexibility, versatility, and adapting on the fly there. I'm not saying it's good or bad, because obviously Harbaugh has been very successful using that philosophy and so have many other similar "harsh" style coaches like Tom Coughlin.

But when it's done poorly it looks like what Greg Schiano has going on down in Tampa right now.
    man this the best post I have seen on this..spot on! like I said it starts and ends with Harbaugh, but the ship is sinking fast real fast, so he might be backed in corner now to just let guys do what they do.