Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 96
  1. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,102
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe



    Yea, and Grubbs was drafted and developed here and he bolted.

    Monroe has no allegiance here and when has Ozzie locked anyone up early? It would be great to do it now but it just ain't Ozzie's style, one of his major weaknesses.

    He could have signed Joe for a fraction of what he did had he locked him up before the contract expired and that's what Joe's agent said.

    If someone like NO, NE or GB wants him and makes an offer Monroe can't refuse, he'll leave.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  2. #50

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Assuming Eugene Monroe is worth the money and can protect Flacco for years, they HAVE to sign him. Otherwise, they completely threw 4th and 5th round picks out the window. Compensatory picks at the end of both rounds won't make up for what could up be early mid round picks based on the Ravens record.
    Exactly this.


    Fast-forward to March. Monroe has just signed with CLE (who has $25M in cap and is very likely going to kick Schwartz inside from RT) and there Ozzie sits in his office with Eric and Harbs.

    "Damn. Not only did I not get a deal done for Eugene, not only did he sign within the division, but I can't believe that I pissed away a 4th and 5th to boot!"


    C'mon now guys. Monroe is going to be a Raven for a quite awhile.
    Back to the AFCCG we go. So get ready!

    Having fun talking football on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  3. #51

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    I think they have every intention of re-signing him, have expressed that to him and will do so when they can. It's just that right now, the Cap really doesn't allow it.

    That said, if they have to, I also think they will use the franchise tag to not let him get away.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  4. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Arbutus
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    It should be noted that Monroe's wife is from here and that made coming here a plus for them.




  5. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yanda was also drafted by the Ravens and was here for many years before he had the chance to go elsewhere. That's not the case with Monroe
    That was more aimed at someone suggesting that the reason Grubbs left wasn't really to do with money and more to do with us being a defense first team, yet Yanda stayed with us.

    Who knows what will happen with Monroe, but I will say that Ozzie has never given up picks for a one year rental.




  6. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,982
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was more aimed at someone suggesting that the reason Grubbs left wasn't really to do with money and more to do with us being a defense first team, yet Yanda stayed with us.

    Who knows what will happen with Monroe, but I will say that Ozzie has never given up picks for a one year rental.
    That's not true.

    Josh Wilson.


    However, he had no desire to sign with the Ravens at all when he got the opportunity to play with his boyhood favorite team.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,328
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    It should be noted that Monroe's wife is from here and that made coming here a plus for them.
    That may be a slight advantage for Baltimore, but if a west coast team offers him a million bucks more a year to play there, then IMO the Monroes will be singing "California Here I Come" ... Bc




  8. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,102
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Exactly, she'll have some influence but money still talks as far as Monroe is concerned.

    Good point by Ravor that Oz can't sign him now because of the cap. I forgot about the cap. Ravor's point really ends the discussion. Ozzie can't sign him now. Ravens are always close to the cap ceiling which is how they win Super Bowls.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 11-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  9. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's not true.

    Josh Wilson.


    However, he had no desire to sign with the Ravens at all when he got the opportunity to play with his boyhood favorite team.
    Yeah but wasn't it for like a 7th rd pick?




  10. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,982
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah but wasn't it for like a 7th rd pick?
    Conditional 5th that IIRC bumped up to a 4th because Wilson started pretty much every game at corner after that first week.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  11. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Conditional 5th that IIRC bumped up to a 4th because Wilson started pretty much every game at corner after that first week.
    Wow, I'm surprised we gave up that high a pick for an average corner.




  12. #60

    Re: The time is NOW to re-sign Eugene Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised we gave up that high a pick for an average corner.
    Not the first time.

    Who can forget Kevin Johnson. Or Fabian Washington. Or Lee Evans. All for 4th round picks. It's happened before and it is what it is...those players sans Evans still helped out at least a little though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland