Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Matt Elam calls Calvin Johnson old

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Yeah, but can't you see a thought bubble of him thinking "I'll show you OLD, junior". It's an ending waiting to be written.
    Yeah, I can see that but I just don't believe that kind of thing turns players into super human beings (with a nickname like MEGATRON who needs motivation anyway). If anything, it gets in their head and creates anxiety. My whole problem with the comment is that it's just stupid. Elam should be giving Johnson the respect that he has earned.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Blog Entries

I bet Elam regretted saying this the second it left his mouth. There is no way he can possibly believe it.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I bet Elam regretted saying this the second it left his mouth. There is no way he can possibly believe it.
    My guess is Calvin chuckled and then filed it somewhere in his "Game Brain". Guy's a monster but also a great human being. I'm sure he'll have fun with it. Hell for all we know he paid him to say it.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5

Ive only heard him talk a few times... Ive gotten the impression elam isnt the brightest crayon in the box every single time. This was idiotic.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Probably when told of the comments, Calvin Johnson said "Matt who"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You know reporters--one of them probably kept goading him with "so how are you going to stop Megatron?" & he fumbled around for something more plausible than "carry a shiv" & the best thing he could come up with on the spur of the moment was the age angle. Shoulda just lifted a leaf from Tricky Dick's playbook & said "We have a secret plan for ending the war, uh, I mean Megatron's success, but I can't tell you what, or it wouldn't be secret any more." But I guess Matt wasn't majoring in 20th century American history...

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Man, I really hate people on this board sometimes. I swear you guys don't even read the article, just the thread title. Matt Elam gave him plenty of respect, he just noted older receivers tend to be less physical as they get older. Now everyone on this board is going to flip their shit as usual calling him dumb and whatnot. I see nothing wrong with what he said. When you say a guy has to be double and triple covered, you're giving them a lot of respect.

I know reading comprehension is hard, but seriously?
    So calling him old is a sign of respect? And yes I read the article

8. Re: Matt Elam calls Calvin Johnson old

Quote Originally Posted by CptJesus View Post
    Man, I really hate people on this board sometimes. I swear you guys don't even read the article, just the thread title. Matt Elam gave him plenty of respect, he just noted older receivers tend to be less physical as they get older. Now everyone on this board is going to flip their shit as usual calling him dumb and whatnot. I see nothing wrong with what he said. When you say a guy has to be double and triple covered, you're giving them a lot of respect.

I know reading comprehension is hard, but seriously?
    The problem here is that the media is running with the "Megatron is old crap"! This is classic bulletin board for the Lions. Elam needs to shut up and play...What he said may have been meant as respectful, but if skewed like the media is doing, it's fuel for Johnson's fire...They already need this win to stay atop their division.

Rookie lesson. He's aware now that one regrettable line among many is enough to cause a stir. I bet he'll be more careful now.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    Yeah, but can't you see a thought bubble of him thinking "I'll show you OLD, junior". It's an ending waiting to be written.
    I created this before I read your post... This is indeed "tackling fuel" for Megatron...

Attachment 1964

This type of overreaction is exactly why the media runs with these stupid stories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NJRaven View Post
    This type of overreaction is exactly why the media runs with these stupid stories.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"