Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Bengals Punter's Jaw Broken by Steelers Blind Side Hit

If I were Tomlin, I'd have been a bit concerned by that play, not because of legality or morality, but simple practicality - a hit like that is an open invitation to the Bengals to retaliate later in the game.

On the other hand, Steelers might be able to look to the Rooneys to have their backs if they get fined. Bengals, not so much. Knowing that, both sides must have recognized that the Steelers had, to dust off an old Cold War expression, "escalation dominance."

BS

Yeah,a fine is sure to be coming.

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 42m
    Bengals punter Kevin Huber not only suffered broken jaw but also a cracked vertebrae in his neck on block by Steelers' Gavin. Headed to IR.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    In my crystal ball, made of plastic, I can see the future of the NFL. All teams will have to wear the same uniforms :
    (1) Offensive players wearing BLACK shirts can be tackled from above the knees to the shoulders.
    (2) If they're wearing RED, then tackles can only be made from the waist to the letters.
    (3) Wearing PINK, then the defensive player has to ask, "May I tackle you in any manner you see fit?"
    (4) Naked players (Punters, Kickers,QBs) are not allowed to be tackled... Bc
    Effects on the viewing demographic of the NFL left as an exercise for the reader.

BS

Quote Originally Posted by JCroUSAF View Post
    When your doing it to the punter is when it's questionable. The punter wasn't even looking at him. He just wanted to deck somebody and found an easy target. Kickers and punters are deemed defenseless players.
    Not when they're trying to make a tackle. And he decked the last guy who had a shot at stopping the return.

If kickers want to be considered "defenseless" AFTER they've completed the kick, they need to run off the field. You're either in the game, or you're not.
    I've upped my standards. Up yours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    Effects on the viewing demographic of the NFL left as an exercise for the reader. BS
    Not sure what you're saying here ? But, here is Darksouleyez :

We should include #5 as Injured players can return to the field naked too because they cant be touched since they are hurt. "now returning to the game, Terrence Cody" 'Sh*T wheres the remote!'

LOL (I think) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here ? But, here is Darksouleyez :

We should include #5 as Injured players can return to the field naked too because they cant be touched since they are hurt. "now returning to the game, Terrence Cody" 'Sh*T wheres the remote!'

LOL (I think) ... Bc
    That would turn ugly real quick. suddenly more fans show up for LFL praying for the same rules.

Idiots like this are what are making the game watered down in terms of contact. There was no reason to "Blow him up" like that, he could have easily blocked him without going for the killshot. Now he's hurt and a new rule is being written right now in New York as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Idiots like this are what are making the game watered down in terms of contact. There was no reason to "Blow him up" like that, he could have easily blocked him without going for the killshot. Now he's hurt and a new rule is being written right now in New York as we speak.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

I tend to agree with this.

From my take on the play.........

The punter IS tracking the return runner when he gets hammered. The block came from outside his field of vision so i don't think he saw it coming but i don't really consider it "blind side".

The blocker (again from my perspective) lowers his mass to lay as brutal a hit as possible. The crown of his helmet clearly makes contact to the underside of the punters jawline.

I don't see the need for a hit like that TBH. He could have been just as effective with a less violent hit.

I don't know if it should be legal or not but you can guarantee it will be looked at with serious scrutiny. The new NFL is supposed to be all about player safety and if that is a fact i don't see how they can ignore this.

Exactly!

Is it bad I want to see Elam hit Johnson like that tonight?

Relax, relax I'm kidding. Kinda

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Refresh my memory; didn't one of our guys block a punter a couple games ago and a penalty was called? Wasn't even a hard block IIRC
    Sav Rocca punted for the Eagles and jogged down the field taking it nice and easy

Got absolutely levelled by Antwan Barnes on a blind side hit which knocked Rocca's helmet right off. I don't think there was a penalty though there was a fine a few days later

Fair dues to the punter, he got up and left the field. Aussie toughness

Edit, I misread couple of games ago as couple of years ago
    Last edited by Irish Raven; 12-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.