Page 219 of 251 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 2,617 to 2,628 of 3005
  1. #2617
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    2,894
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Jags checking out Teddy Bridgewater.


    Personally, I think the draft is going to go one of two ways.

    1) A run on QB's in the top-10.

    2) Maybe 1 QB taken in the top-10 causing a ripple effect and lots of trading around in rounds 1 and 2.
    I can see that.
    We have had similar position runs in the past
    CB 2005 Pacman at #6, Antrel Rolle #8, Carlos Rogers #9
    It really does seem like people hold off but as soon as one jumps then the run starts. (Fabian Washington #23, Marlon Jackson #29 were the other 2 first rounders that year)

    Last year was Tackles Fisher #1, Joeckel #2, Johnson #4, Then Fluker #11, Pugh #19

    I can see what you are picturing a run of QBs similar to Newton #1, Locker #8, Gabbert #10, Ponder #12, ... Dalton stayed around till #35 but as soon as he went, Kapernick went #36 in 2011

    It is a copycat league and when one jumps, a couple of others will feel they have to jump also or they will be left behind.... and they could be, we have Ozzie who plugs holes so he can stick to the board.... really be nice to see a big run on QBs early
    Heinz Field Ketchup official ketchup of the Ravens?




  2. #2618

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Jags checking out Teddy Bridgewater.


    Personally, I think the draft is going to go one of two ways.

    1) A run on QB's in the top-10.

    2) Maybe 1 QB taken in the top-10 causing a ripple effect and lots of trading around in rounds 1 and 2.
    Either way, I think the Ravens are in good position. Your first selection would, without question, lead to a high quality prospect either falling to the Ravens or close enough for them to move up and get him. Your second option could lead to high value in a trade down situation, by way of a team looking to move back up and get their QB.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  3. #2619
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,011
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Either way, I think the Ravens are in good position. Your first selection would, without question, lead to a high quality prospect either falling to the Ravens or close enough for them to move up and get him. Your second option could lead to high value in a trade down situation, by way of a team looking to move back up and get their QB.
    Yep!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #2620

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    I am really starting to warm up to WR Allen Robinson.




  5. #2621

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I like the positions but not the players. Would take Zack Martin over Lewan and Jimmie Ward over Joyner if those players were available at those spots.

    WRT to Lewan, I will defer to the Ravens past history of preferring high character players with clean backgrounds--"red star" players in their parlance. Lewan is not a red star player and although his athletic upside is through the roof, his 2013 tape was not as good as Martin's. I think Martin is a better fit for Kubiak's ZBS as well.

    Joyner is a good jack of all trades player but Ward is a better player with similar versatility but superior upside as a true FS prospect. The only question is will Ward be available at #48 overall?
    With the signing of Monroe drafting Martin gives you more flexibility. He could play LT in a pinch and has pro bowl potential at G and RT. Lewan is a LT and probably would not be happy at RT for the duration of Monroe's contract.




  6. #2622
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,210

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Tidbit from Peter King:

    "If Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan gets past Detroit (picking 10th in the first round), the Giants (12th) and the Steelers (15th), I doubt sincerely Baltimore would pass on him."

    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-n...quarterback/5/


    It's Peter King so doubt it.

    I do however think I'm coming around to the idea that at most one QB will be taken before the Ravens pick at 17.

    So, for grins, what would the Ravens be looking at at 17 if no QBs are taken before them?

    - These seven players will get taken before the Ravens pick in some order even if there's a QB run: Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Evans, Gilbert

    - With no QB run these four players also get taken before the Ravens pick: Clinton-Dix, Dennard, Ebron, Donald

    - With no QB run these five players stand a pretty good chance to get taken before the Ravens pick: Lewan, Martin (who is rising above Lewan), Pryor, Jerrigan, Beckham

    That's 16 players for 16 slots. Probably one or two of the last group falls who will join Mosley, Barr (he's sliding), Benjamin, Cooks, Fuller, Ealy, Ford and maybe Shazier, and Moses as the next group of draftable players for the Ravens to pick from.
    Last edited by ursula; 04-21-2014 at 09:33 AM.




  7. #2623
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,281
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I do however think I'm coming around to the idea that at most one QB will be taken before the Ravens pick at 17.
    That's bad news for us. The reality is that only 1 QB really should be taken in the top half of the draft. In the past that hasn't stopped teams but when you are drafting for the Vikings, Jaguars and Browns and you see how your team has been burned by feeling you have to draft a QB in the high 1st you might think twice.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  8. #2624
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,691
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's bad news for us. The reality is that only 1 QB really should be taken in the top half of the draft. In the past that hasn't stopped teams but when you are drafting for the Vikings, Jaguars and Browns and you see how your team has been burned by feeling you have to draft a QB in the high 1st you might think twice.
    there's no way in hell that at least 3 aren't taken before the Ravens pick. Likely Bortles, Manzel go first then ?

    Teams have taken a lot shakier guys than this early.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  9. #2625
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,281
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Bortles to me is the only lock for the top 10. I never saw Carr as a 1st round pick and believe that Bridgewater will fall to the bottom of round 1 or maybe the top of round 2.

    Manziel is very tough to figure out. Gil Brandt thinks he's the best player in the draft. He's completely in love with him and said the Texans would be crazy to pass him up. Jaworski thinks he's a 4th round pick. These are very smart analysts with completely opposite opinions.

    If there is a team that is in love with Manziel the way Brandt is they aren't going to wait and will take him early just in case they aren't alone. However, is there really a team that feels that way? I still can't figure where Manziel is going to go in round 1.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #2626

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Tidbit from Peter King:

    "If Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan gets past Detroit (picking 10th in the first round), the Giants (12th) and the Steelers (15th), I doubt sincerely Baltimore would pass on him."

    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/21/2014-n...quarterback/5/


    It's Peter King so doubt it.

    I do however think I'm coming around to the idea that at most one QB will be taken before the Ravens pick at 17.

    So, for grins, what would the Ravens be looking at at 17 if no QBs are taken before them?

    - These seven players will get taken before the Ravens pick in some order even if there's a QB run: Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Evans, Gilbert

    - With no QB run these four players also get taken before the Ravens pick: Clinton-Dix, Dennard, Ebron, Donald

    - With no QB run these five players stand a pretty good chance to get taken before the Ravens pick: Lewan, Martin (who is rising above Lewan), Pryor, Jerrigan, Beckham

    That's 16 players for 16 slots. Probably one or two of the last group falls who will join Mosley, Barr (he's sliding), Benjamin, Cooks, Fuller, Ealy, Ford and maybe Shazier, and Moses as the next group of draftable players for the Ravens to pick from.
    I've seen a lot of comments about Moses Malone in the 1st rd lately.




  11. #2627

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've seen a lot of comments about Moses Malone in the 1st rd lately.
    Nice...Big Mo!!!




  12. #2628
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,210

    Re: The 2014 Ravens Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    there's no way in hell that at least 3 aren't taken before the Ravens pick. Likely Bortles, Manzel go first then ?

    Teams have taken a lot shakier guys than this early.

    I used to think that too, but where do these QB's,go since none of them are lead pipe locks?

    - Jags are giving every indication that they want someone like Mack or Clowney in round 1 and will take their chances at the top of 2 since they have Henne back. They were recently burned and bad by Gabbert; they won't do the same this year by reaching.

    - Clowns may pick a QB, particularly if Watkins is gone, but Watkins may be there and besides they have a late in the 1st round pick. They can wait as say Watkins or Mack and a late QB trumps an early QB and...Barr or Benjamin or Nix or something like that.

    - Vikings...Peter King does a good job framing the Vikes though processes re: QB. They have a decent stop-gap with Cassel and they now have Norm Turner both evaluating him and guiding him. If they take a QB it will be for developmental purposes and they don't need to do that in round 1 where they have other needs.

    - Arizona? Possible but again they have Palmer who will start again for at least next year and possibly a couple years after that so developmental QB = round 2.

    - Houston? Possible but it will be a big big gamble to take a QB with the first pick with the other players all on the board and they pick at the top of round 2.


    To sum up I now am seeing teams having very good reasons not to use their first pick on a QB. I'm guessing one team still will and I nominate the Clowns since they are the Clowns. But that's it.
    Last edited by ursula; 04-21-2014 at 10:43 AM.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland