Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Why didn't any report ask about Jim Caldwell?

Looks like Moeller is headed to LSU to join Cam

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...-heading-south
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They're not exactly rushing to re-sign him.

Though I'm not ruling out the possibility he will be back either.

Very odd times for this team right now.
    I don't know how the Raven's do it, or the NFL for that matter, but the in my corporate experience, changes start at the top so new managers are given the opportunity to build their own staff. I saw the Montgomery termination, however it evolved as that's it, otherwise the changes would have started at the highest level impacted. My money based on that is Caldwell and Pees stay. Seems too the sooner they start planning for 2014 the better and they need all of the lead time they can get.

One thing I think we are all losing sight of is that Caldwell didn't really want the OC job last year. He was asked to do it, so he did, reluctantly. Someone on here mentioned "The Peter Principle" the other day, which I think applies to Caldwell's time as OC. He was honest about it up front, so I respect him for that.

I would love to see him back as QB coach if he does not get a HC job. And I think there is some chance that might happen. But as some have mentioned, they should be actively looking for a replacement if they were thinking about this at all.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    I don't know how the Raven's do it, or the NFL for that matter, but the in my corporate experience, changes start at the top so new managers are given the opportunity to build their own staff. I saw the Montgomery termination, however it evolved as that's it, otherwise the changes would have started at the highest level impacted. My money based on that is Caldwell and Pees stay. Seems too the sooner they start planning for 2014 the better and they need all of the lead time they can get.
    There were other reasons Montgomery was let go, IMO. I think that's the exception, not the rule.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Looks like Moeller is headed to LSU to join Cam

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...-heading-south
    It makes sense. LSU is trying to become a more pass oriented team than in years past. Cam took the first steps towards that last year and it worked until the QB tore his knee up.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Caldwell isn't under contract.

So, really isn't much to ask IMO.

Harbs kind of laid it out there anyway saying that other than Castillo as the OL coach next year, every other coaching spot on offense was up in the air.

I took that as a clear sign that they're going to see what their options are elsewhere.
    This is the point -- there is no point in asking the question until they have the OC position settled. There are reports that whether the Ravens want him back or not, and it's not clear if they do, Caldwall probably doesn't want to come back to the OC job in Baltimore, even if he fails to land a head coaching job.

So until you've hired your coordinator, it's pointless to talk about what schemes they'll run.

BTW, it's a mistake to think Castillo barely tweaked the scheme. There are definite reports that he change a lot when he came in.

Jerry Coleman was on the radio yesterday saying that yesterday was the first time Kevin Byrne came out prior to the beginning of the press conference and assigned reporters numbers. He was #12 in line to ask a question. He thought that was odd. Perhaps behind the scenes the questions about Jim Caldwell was intentionally avoided?

In any case this is the front office MO to allow coaches to explore other opportunities before they let them go "involuntarily".

iggyman555 Guest

its completely retarded to wait for camwell and see where he ends up and not be interviewing anyone in the meantime...what if it takes camwll 3 months to find a job and he just decided to retire??? who is going to be available in 3 months.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    This is the point -- there is no point in asking the question until they have the OC position settled. There are reports that whether the Ravens want him back or not, and it's not clear if they do, Caldwall probably doesn't want to come back to the OC job in Baltimore, even if he fails to land a head coaching job.

So until you've hired your coordinator, it's pointless to talk about what schemes they'll run.

BTW, it's a mistake to think Castillo barely tweaked the scheme. There are definite reports that he change a lot when he came in.
    Do you think it was a mistake to make Castillo 2014 Oline coach prior to hiring an Ocoordinator? Shouldn't the new guy, assuming Caldwell is gone, hire his own staff for the most part? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Do you think it was a mistake to make Castillo 2014 Oline coach prior to hiring an Ocoordinator? Shouldn't the new guy, assuming Caldwell is gone, hire his own staff for the most part? ... Bc
    Absolutely.

Harbs decides that stuff, not the OC.

The dynamic for staff building isn't the same for OC's as it is for HC's.

HC's typically build their staffs the way they see fit.

If Harbs was gone and the gave Castillo the O line coach spot then it would be odd.

I also think Caldwell will most likely be back next season after reading between the lines of the presser yesterday.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

I think it would be nice to have the OC set in place in an ideal world, but they are a bit handcuffed until things shake out.

I was disappointed to see that Jay Gruden got hired by the Redskins, because the Bengals will now probably promote Hue Jackson to OC, and he's the guy I had hoped would be coming back to the Ravens as their next OC. This could take a while.

Back to your question. I actually think people are way too hung up on Castillo. I won't go as far as saying he's become a scapegoat, because the negativity pales compared to the way fans treated Ravens head coaches and OCs in the past. While he certainly failed to improve the line, it's not all on him.

Harbaugh is getting off way too easy in all this. Perhaps he earned that luxury. But the root problem was his decision to bring in Castillo in an ill-defined role, and allow him to start making changes that didn't seem to align with how Caldwell and Montgomery were doing in the running game. Harbaugh failed to get his staff on the same page. Worse, he created a fictional job for Castillo when in fact Juan took Moeller's job without Moeller leaving, and fact Harbaugh admitted in the presser. I credit John for fixing that larger issue at least.

People talk about Castillo being John's buddy, but it was actually Moeller who is the guy John's known since they were kids, through his dad's connections. I am happy that Moeller is going back to Michigan. Forgetting last year, if you asked me who I'd rather have as an o-line coach, Castillo or Moeller, I'd say Castillo hands down, so I'm fine with what John is doing to correct it. I'll be more fine once I hear who the OC is, which is a much bigger deal to me.

John's made this mistake before when had too many guys on his staff with overlapping functions. I'm referring to how Al Saunders, Hue Jackson, Cam Cameron, and Jim Zorn all seemed to be in Flacco's ear in one way or the other.

It's been correctly noted that the team seems to lack an offensive identity. I think Harbaugh fueled the problem by his tendency to throw coaches on the fire. My hope is that they hire a strong OC with clear responsibilities and a clear vision, and keep the staff cleanly delineated. If Harbaugh fixes the structure, and has a clearer vision of what they want to do, then I'm fine with Castillo staying. I'm not hung up on Castillo and the whole ZBS thing as the boogie man in all this.