Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: State of the Terps Hoops Program

As an Indiana alum and die-hard, first of all, I'd like to say welcome to the B1G to all the Terps fans out there.

I think the current situation at Maryland is similar to what Indiana is going through this season.. A lot of it has to do with highly rated recruits not living up to the hype and a mediocre coach who is consistantly out-coached by the Coach K's and Izzo's of the world.

Turgeon is bringing in another really solid class, so I at least want to see what he will do with some experienced seniors mixed with these talented freshmen before saying he needs to kick rocks. He's got guys who can hit from 3 and some bangers underneath, so I think the foundation is there. Add a stud PG in Tremble and a scorer and shooter like Wiley, and this team just gets deeper and more athletic. I'd say they're back in the tourney next season and possibly even competing for the ACC.

Anyone know when Terps Bball single game tickets go on sale usually? They are home and home with IU in 2014-2015.

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Keep in mind, Gary had them in the tournament infrequently following the great consecutive run of tournament appearances.
    ...for the last two full classes at Maryland he was far from the coach and a shadow of the recruiter he had been.
    You mean like in 2010, when Maryland was the co-reg season ACC champs with a 13-3 record?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You mean like in 2010, when Maryland was the co-reg season ACC champs with a 13-3 record?
    And had Michigan State not hit that buzzer beater they would have had a real shot at the title, considering they already beat every team they would have played after that game.

EDIT: Every team was a bit of an overstatement, but they had a shot after that game is the point.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, Shaq is a huge disappointment. I mean he really gives nothing other than someone to give 5 fouls.

I actually like Peters and think he has a bright future if he can regain his confidence...we don't have anybody that can penetrate and create for others like he can. Allen can penetrate, but more often than not, he's going up with his shot. Oh, and he needs to spend the summer shooting jumpshots...his jumper is really broken.

I don't really expect Reed to contribute much in year one, but expectations for Trimble are going to be through the roof. I think Nickens can be what we thought Layman would be (not year 1) and Wiley will be a nice complementary guy.

We'll see...guys are going to need to do work in the weightroom because the B1G is going to be a very physical wake up call IMHO.
    I disagree with you on Reed and Nickens. Reed, while he needs to add weight, should contribute off the bench next year. The B1G is known for its big men, so Reed could match-up against some of the bigger teams like Wisconsin and Michigan State, among others. As for Nickens, he's the lowest-rated of the incoming class. I can see Allen possibly moving to the two-spot next year with Wiley backing him up, so that could leave Nickens scraping for minutes. I do think Nickens has a future, but not right away.
    Last edited by JoeCool5; 03-18-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if Seth Allen is coming back, because if he is then I think we can be quite successful next year. I still think that in the NBA and NCAA your team starts with a big man. All the great teams have very good big men and our centers and forwards this year sucked.

Peters was a turnover machine this year, and when he drove to the basket, he had his shot blocked most of the time. Layman has tools but mostly hangs out around the 3 point line, waiting for a wide open shot that he usually misses. Both Shaq and Mitchell have bricks for hands and can't handle the in tight passes.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    He said "infrequently", so...

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    He said "infrequently", so...
    He also said, the last two seasons....
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin

When they dumped Fridge, I dumped them.