Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Jarvis Landry Photo

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He probably has the best pure hands in the draft. There are other concerns to his game.

Right now, he'd be a solid 3rd rd pick. Sit behind Steve Smith for a year or two, and contribute where he can. He's actually similar to Steve Smith as a player in a lot of ways.
    Great pick in the 3rd round. I see him going higher than that though. Early to mid 2nd round would be my guess.

Steve Smith is also the perfect guy for Landry to try and learn from. That's the ultimate upside comparison for Jarvis Landry
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Have we ever drafted a player out of LSU? I don't think we have.
    Currently the Clowns have 2 Chris Faulk OT, and Barkevious Mingo LB and none from Alabama
    The Squeelers have 2 Brad Wing P, and Al Woods DE and none from Alabama
    The CincyCat have one Andrew Whitworth G and 4 from Alabama McElroy QB, Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Wallace Gilberry DE, and Andre Smith OT
    Ravens have nobody from LSU and currently only Upshaw on the roster from Alabama (sorry Cody)

means nothing, just sounded interesting

edit
    I did find one player from LSU that played ONE game for the Ravens, and that is all
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Green

Nose Tackle Howard Green, drafted in 2002 by Houston, apparently cut, played one game for Ravens (no stats) then returned to Houston.
    He started 5 games last year for G.B.
    Last edited by Rxdoxx; 03-18-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    Heinz Field Ketchup official ketchup of the Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    My impression is that players arrange loans through their agents that are essentially advances on their signing bonuses.

Recall that Aaron Wilson had a story from about a month ago that Landry had a meeting/workout with the Ravens and John Harbaugh was at that meeting.
    This is my understanding as well.

According to Greg Peshak, Landry has the best hands among many of the top prospects.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...out-of-the-box
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...p-4-wr-metrics
    Some evaluators appear to be tough and some lenient on what constitutes a drop for college guys.

With the obvious need, and Cam there to personally vouch, we have as good a chance to draft Landry or OBJ as anyone.
    I like him quite a bit...not quite as much as I like Quinton Patton in 2013, but he's up there.
    With his reliability and slipperiness after the catch, he fits The Profile 100%.
    Back to the AFCCG we go. So get ready!

Having fun talking football on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver

Landry has the best hands in the draft. 2 drops in all of 2013 IIRC... by far the best drop % of any of the top 15 receivers in this class.

But he's a bit of a one year wonder and he is neither fast nor quick, neither big nor physical, and so he doesn't really have any special aspect to his game other than hands. A lot of the catches he made in college with DBs draped all over him (because of lack of separation) might not fly in the NFL.

I would absolutely draft him in the 3rd though. I think that's probably where he'll go at this point. Several WRs who might have ranked lower than him before the Combine have probably leapfrogged him on a lot of team's boards.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    But he's a bit of a one year wonder and he is neither fast nor quick, neither big nor physical, and so he doesn't really have any special aspect to his game other than hands. A lot of the catches he made in college with DBs draped all over him (because of lack of separation) might not fly in the NFL.
    I kind of see this as a strength. The fact hes used to catching contested catches. Kind of reminds me of what i saw and liked in Alshon Jeffery. I think if you show that ability that it translates to the NFL where space will be minimal regardless. ability to sheild with the body and catch passes away from his body I like a lot. i dont ever see him as a guy thats going to get a ton of separation on a consistent basis or use speed he doesnt really have (i think hell run 4.55 if healthy). Ward and Boldin are exactly how i expect him to turn out as a pro. Willing blocker, sure handed 3rd down wr where hes open even when he isnt.

I dont see us spending multiple picks on WR anymore, now that Jones is back, so if we go WR early, I dont see us taking Landry later.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I kind of see this as a strength. The fact hes used to catching contested catches. Kind of reminds me of what i saw and liked in Alshon Jeffery. I think if you show that ability that it translates to the NFL where space will be minimal regardless. ability to sheild with the body and catch passes away from his body I like a lot. i dont ever see him as a guy thats going to get a ton of separation on a consistent basis or use speed he doesnt really have (i think hell run 4.55 if healthy). Ward and Boldin are exactly how i expect him to turn out as a pro. Willing blocker, sure handed 3rd down wr where hes open even when he isnt.

I dont see us spending multiple picks on WR anymore, now that Jones is back, so if we go WR early, I dont see us taking Landry later.
    I agree JAB.

Everyone wants the receiver that can run away from defenders. Yes, that is nice to have be it through route-running or through straight up speed/quickness. However, being able to out-muscle defenders for passes, go up over defenders for passes, and make tough catches in heavy traffic are something that hardly anyone talks about and I think that is one of the most important capabilities for any NFL receiver. How comfortable are they making catches in heavy traffic?

The probability of an NFL receiver, even the top flight ones, completely separating from all 11 defenders on a given play? Unlikely.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'd use a 2nd on Matthews, but a 3rd on Landry... Bc
    I like both those guys, but with Steve Smith in the fold I wouldn't be disappointed if they targeted Donte Moncrief. He is bigger and faster than Landry and I personally think he has more upside than Matthews.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I like both those guys, but with Steve Smith in the fold I wouldn't be disappointed if they targeted Donte Moncrief. He is bigger and faster than Landry and I personally think he has more upside than Matthews.
    I'd be all about Montcrief in round 3.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree JAB.

Everyone wants the receiver that can run away from defenders. Yes, that is nice to have be it through route-running or through straight up speed/quickness. However, being able to out-muscle defenders for passes, go up over defenders for passes, and make tough catches in heavy traffic are something that hardly anyone talks about and I think that is one of the most important capabilities for any NFL receiver. How comfortable are they making catches in heavy traffic?

The probability of an NFL receiver, even the top flight ones, completely separating from all 11 defenders on a given play? Unlikely.
    You guys are absolutely right that seeing a prospect make catches in traffic tells you good things about his toughness, his concentration, and his mentality. But making tough catches over college DBs is a lot easier than making them over NFL DBs, especially if (like Landry) you struggle with physical coverage. NFL DBs are bigger, faster, and stronger, with better ball skills and better field awareness.

I have an easier time projecting, say, Mike Evans to be a good in-traffic catcher because not only does he have the mentality and the concentration, he also has enough size and athleticism to bully NFL DBs. I don't see that as much with Landry. I think he does compare favorably with Hines Ward but he Hines Wards of the world are an exception, not the rule. There are many more smaller, less athletic WRs who end up NOT making it in the pro's because they can't separate or produce despite lack of separation.

Not saying I don't like Landry as a prospect, just pointing out what I feel is an issue with his transition to the NFL level. Would still be very happy with him in the 3rd.

Maybe, Ozzie told Landry at the combine, that if he's there in the second, then we will take him. I know a lot of players are told by teams that if their available in such and such round, they will take them.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flacco Machado View Post
    Maybe, Ozzie told Landry at the combine, that if he's there in the second, then we will take him. I know a lot of players are told by teams that if their available in such and such round, they will take them.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk
    not sure how that works. Its pretty early in the process to say that so surely. I dont doubt they tell players that, but i think its a lot closer to the time than months before the draft.
    -JAB

not sure how that works. Its pretty early in the process to say that so surely. I dont doubt they tell players that, but i think its a lot closer to the time than months before the draft.
    Once other GMs see this picture, Landry will be looked at closer. No doubt, Dallas takes him if the Ravens are interested. LOL