Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Josh Freeman as the Ravens backup QB

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've seen rumors they are waiting for Houston to cut Yates or keenum. Houston signed Fitzpatrick and will draft a QB. They won't carry 4 QBs so someone is getting cut.
    I wouldn't want either of those guys. They're are try hard players but neither has much talent
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Ross Tucker and Shaun King recently mentioned that, from what they hear out of Tampa Bay, Josh Freeman was late to team meetings and things of the like. They also heard that, even AFTER being traded from Tampa Bay, this was still an issue in Minnesota.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I wouldn't want either of those guys. They're are try hard players but neither has much talent
    Thats probably mostly true but Yates was a 3rd rounder for a reason and Keenum had a heck of a college career. There is some talent there and both showed flashes. Were not talking about a starter, were talking about a backup so i think both fit the bill.
    -JAB

Not sure how I feel about Freeman, but this much I will say: if the Ravens are going to replace Tyrod, or at least give him serious competition for the No. 2 spot, this is the time to do it. With Kubiak installing a new system, Tyrod's previous advantage of knowing the plays is largely nullified. I'm almost certain they'll bring in a vet by the time camp starts. Tyrod still has a chance, but it won't be like the last couple of years where he won the backup job pretty much by default.

Blog Entries

I'd be good with Yates.

He's solid and you know what you're getting with him.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Depends on how much money he wants. I don't think there's any question he's a better player for us than Tyrod but he probably wants a couple million a year, and I don't know that the FO really wants to allocate that to a position (backup QB) they don't place a lot of value on.

One thing this team does is bank on Flacco's health, and use the savings at backup QB to solidify the special teams and ensure quality depth in as many places as possible. Depth has been the Ravens' edge during the Harbaugh years, and I don't think they want to sacrifice that for a backup QB. They did have Bulger during Joe's second year, but that I think was a special case where they had the extra cap room and nothing better to spend it on. I don't think they're quite in that position this year.
    No one likes us, and we don't care.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Depends on how much money he wants. I don't think there's any question he's a better player for us than Tyrod but he probably wants a couple million a year, and I don't know that the FO really wants to allocate that to a position (backup QB) they don't place a lot of value on.

One thing this team does is bank on Flacco's health, and use the savings at backup QB to solidify the special teams and ensure quality depth in as many places as possible. Depth has been the Ravens' edge during the Harbaugh years, and I don't think they want to sacrifice that for a backup QB. They did have Bulger during Joe's second year, but that I think was a special case where they had the extra cap room and nothing better to spend it on. I don't think they're quite in that position this year.
    Freeman is looking for league minimum according to Pat Kirwin. Money isn't an issue
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Thats probably mostly true but Yates was a 3rd rounder for a reason and Keenum had a heck of a college career. There is some talent there and both showed flashes. Were not talking about a starter, were talking about a backup so i think both fit the bill.
    Yates was also beaten out by Keenum and that's after starting 5 games plus a playoff game against us as a rookie. It's not a good sign when the team that starts you as a rookie won't play you as a 3rd year player
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Freeman is looking for league minimum according to Pat Kirwin. Money isn't an issue
    Sounds like he's just looking for a chance. Perhaps, reality is starting to smack him in the face and he's waking up.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Sounds like he's just looking for a chance. Perhaps, reality is starting to smack him in the face and he's waking up.
    That's what it sounds like to me.

Last year the Packers lost Aaron Rodgers for 7 games. They went with 3 different backups, Tolzien, Flynn and Seneca Wallace. That team won 2 lost 5 and tied 1 game in that span. Without Joe I'm not even sure we would do that well. This team needs a real QB and Freeman is at least that. He's also the same physical build as Joe and they wouldn't have to adjust the offense at all to accommodate him. Sounds like a low risk move to me.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Yates was also beaten out by Keenum and that's after starting 5 games plus a playoff game against us as a rookie. It's not a good sign when the team that starts you as a rookie won't play you as a 3rd year player
    Thats without context. Case also came in and threw 8 Tds and only 1 INT in his first 4 games. He apparently was lighting it up in practice as well which is why they went that direction. He cooled off by the end of the year but I think he showed an ability to be a short time starter if only looking at the 4 game stretch. He did finish with a better QB rating than Flacco last year, on a team that also struggled mightily.

I dont take that as a knock on Yates as much as a good thing for Case that showed an ability to make plays while yates was more of a manager. Personally Yates to me fits the back up role better because of that, but i think both are capable.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 04-09-2014 at 02:03 PM.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've seen rumors they are waiting for Houston to cut Yates or keenum. Houston signed Fitzpatrick and will draft a QB. They won't carry 4 QBs so someone is getting cut.
    If the $ is right, sign him. BUT I agree with the above: our next QB signing is likely to be Yates or Keenum. Both are young, have some NFL experience, and are known by Kubes and his staff.