Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 42
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day



    Great point. You know, a lot of teams are happy they moved the draft back this year a couple of weeks. Hell, if they aren't prepared by now they never will be. A couple of weeks won't matter. It's no wonder why the same teams draft poor all the time.

    The Ravens spend the entire year on the draft and Ozzie says he starts looking at film around October or November.

    Back in the old days they used to have the draft in January. There were 12 teams in a hotel banquet room. If teams wanted to trade, someone simply got up from his table and went over to another table like the Colts did one year when they traded a pick with SF.

    Baltimore Colts always did well too drafting guys like Bubba, MIke Curtis, George Shaw in the early 50s as well as Lenny Morre, Alan Ameche, Ray Berry, Tom Matte, Ted Hendricks,Rick Volk, Jim Parker, etc etc.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    5,260

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Back in the old days they used to have the draft in January. There were 12 teams in a hotel banquet room. If teams wanted to trade, someone simply got up from his table and went over to another table . . .
    With all the advances in technology it's a wonder that the NFL is still a bit archaic when it comes to the draft. Tied up phone lines shouldn't even be an issue, yet they still play a role. There are quicker and more efficient ways of communnicating to the league office than picking up the phone and hoping your call goes through. A $10 billion dollar a year industry should be able to figure it out so there won't be any more Ravens v. Bears scenarios.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    12,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    With all the advances in technology it's a wonder that the NFL is still a bit archaic when it comes to the draft. Tied up phone lines shouldn't even be an issue, yet they still play a role. There are quicker and more efficient ways of communnicating to the league office than picking up the phone and hoping your call goes through. A $10 billion dollar a year industry should be able to figure it out so there won't be any more Ravens v. Bears scenarios.
    The Ravens/Bears scenario wasn't a tied up phone line, it was an inept FO.

    The Ravens did what they were supposed to do, but the Bears never called in their side of the deal to the NFL. When they realized what happened, they kind've just buried their heads in the sand and tried to say it was a misunderstanding. What happened was someone didn't do their job.

    The Ravens/Vikings thing, THAT was a tied up phone line (Jags). NFL addressed that by adding two other lines to call into if the first was busy.
    .
    .
    ďWhen I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. Thatís the Baltimore Raven way.Ē - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD
    Posts
    13,572

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Where I drew out my BS card was the idea that a team would trade those three #1's to trade up to draft a player THAT THEY DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT!!! It's already implausible that you are scrambling around 4 hours before the draft to find out about a player. But the idea that you would trade up first, and then start doing your homework, all right before the draftÖwell, sorry, not even Cleveland can approach that level of incompetence.

    But that's why you have to suspend disbelief in this movie. Otherwise it's like trying to figure out why the Howells brought so much luggage on the SS Minnow for a three hour tour.
    I highly doubt that Joe Jackson lived in an Iowa cornfield but Field of Dreams was entertaining nonetheless
    Follow me on Twitter @ russellstreport




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The Ravens/Bears scenario wasn't a tied up phone line, it was an inept FO.

    The Ravens did what they were supposed to do, but the Bears never called in their side of the deal to the NFL. When they realized what happened, they kind've just buried their heads in the sand and tried to say it was a misunderstanding. What happened was someone didn't do their job.

    The Ravens/Vikings thing, THAT was a tied up phone line (Jags). NFL addressed that by adding two other lines to call into if the first was busy.
    So all the Jags have to do is have 2 guys tie up the other two lines-lol. I wonder if Ozzie really made that call. Suggs was truly the best player in that draft and the guy he really wanted. When he workout day was over Phil called Oz and said Suggs just dropped to us because of his poor 40 time.

    I asked Phil at the Barn if Ozzie really made that call and he said yea, I was sitting next to him. Yea, but how does he really know? Then I asked why didn't Oz make the trade for Leftwich earlier and Phil said because Oz knew he was getting Leftwich or Suggs.

    BINGO!

    Oz never regretted the tied up line, if it really was tied up.

    With Chicago, it was a case where the war room kept arguing with each other - the GM and the coach. It dragged on so long it was too late and Ravens got burned and Bisciotti is still pissed at Chicago.

    Wasn't there another pick we were supposed to get - a 4th and someone said that could have been Shoulders-???
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    I highly doubt that Joe Jackson lived in an Iowa cornfield but Field of Dreams was entertaining nonetheless
    Actually he played in a corn field near Greenville, South Carolina and was so hilly billy that his nick name was Shoeless Joe Jackson. A new pair of spikes hurt his feet so he simply played a game w/o shoes and thus the nickname. He started out as a pitcher but broke the catchers arms because he threw so hard so they put him in the outfield. He's one of the top 3 hitters for average in history and would have been the best but he was banned in his prime even though he batted .375 and played the field flawlessly during the 1919 World Series. Babe Ruth said he copied Joe 100%. His bat was sold for over $500,000.

    Field of Dreams was almost as boring as Draft Day.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    OK, here's the details of the Chicago fiasco. They said it was just a mistake. The staffers that were supposed to call it in f*cked up. One thought the other had already called. Uh hum. LOL.

    And the Ravens were supposed to get a 4th from Bears for them moving up but didn't get it.
    Ravens moved down a spot for running out the clock and might have lost Jimmy Smith but in the end we got who we wanted, minus the 4th pick who might have been the DB, and Bears got Carimi.

    BTW, Chicago said worse things have heppened to them but some experts gave
    their entire Draft an F for what they did to Ravens. Goodell asked them
    to make a pick compensation but they refused saying no rules were broken to warrant
    compensation. The league considered the clase closed but Bisciotti still doesn't.

    FROM ESPN:
    ____________________________
    The Bears and Ravens agreed to a trade Thursday night that involved the teams swapping first-round picks, with the Bears giving up a fourth-round pick to move up from the 29th slot to the 26th. With approximately 2Ĺ minutes remaining for the teams to consummate the trade officially with the league, the Ravens had followed the proper protocol and the Bears had not.

    "We had a trade, I mean with about two and a half minutes left we had a deal," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "For two and a half minutes Ozzie was on the phone and the Bears were telling Ozzie they had called the deal in. I mean, we all know you have to call the deal in for it to be official. But the Bears had insisted for over two minutes they had called it in. Then all of a sudden we're not on the clock anymore.


    League rules stipulate both teams have to confirm a trade with the league to make the deal official.

    "We were very disappointed," Harbaugh said. "We're still disappointed. It didn't go the way it should have gone. I mean, you have a deal, you say you called the deal in, I don't understand how that doesn't get done."

    The Bears' failure to inform the league of the trade played a role in the clock expiring and the Ravens passing the 26th pick. Baltimore went on to draft Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith, while the Bears -- who offered the trade to move up because of fear of losing him to another team -- selected Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi.

    Sources familiar with the situation said Angelo delegated the responsibility of calling in the trade to a pair of team staffers, who didn't take care of the matter because each thought the other one had done it.

    Angelo apologized profusely to the Ravens for the miscue, but never offered to compensate the team for the fourth-round pick the teams agreed to in the failed trade. According to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, commissioner Roger Goodell encouraged the Bears on Friday to extend the Ravens draft-pick compensation.

    The Bears refused. In the league's eyes, the matter is now resolved.

    "No rule was broken, OK," Angelo said on Friday, clearly still agitated about the controversy. "They have rules [for] when you do something wrong, not when people make mistakes."

    Asked whether he was concerned about the incident tarnishing his reputation in league circles, Angelo said, "No, there isn't anybody in this room that hasn't made a mistake. I'm going into my 31st year in this league. There has been a hell of a lot worse that has [been] done to me on the clock, and there have been things out there documented. So let's not get into judging souls here. If there is something that needs to be done, I trust the league will do their due diligence."

    Michael C. Wright covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000. Jeff Dickerson contributed to this report
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-17-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    12,918
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Wasn't there another pick we were supposed to get - a 4th and someone said that could have been Shoulders-???
    It was for their 1st and 4th round selections.

    Chicago ended up trading their 2nd and 4th to Redskins for the 2nd rounder they obtained from Indy in trade. Washington later traded that pick to Houston, who selected Rashad Carmichael, a CB, who now plays for the Eagles. Julius Williams was taken two picks later, but doubtful we take him since we had Pitta and Dickson from a year before.
    .
    .
    ďWhen I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. Thatís the Baltimore Raven way.Ē - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,021
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Ah, thanks. I doubt it would have been another CB after taking Jimmy - right?

    Who do you think the 4th pick might have been Scal.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  10. #34

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    I've been skeptical simply because it is the Browns. Really why did they choose them? Costner a Browns fan or something? Apologies if it was discussed on page 2. But for that very reason I was gonna wait till it hit on demand or netflix. Lol.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    5,260

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I've been skeptical simply because it is the Browns. Really why did they choose them? Costner a Browns fan or something? Apologies if it was discussed on page 2. But for that very reason I was gonna wait till it hit on demand or netflix. Lol.
    Check Post #17 on why the Browns . . . no apologies necessary. It's hard to wade through a discussion when it goes off on a random tangent.




  12. #36

    Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Trade 2? Three 2nd rounders for the #6 PICK?! Unless you are portraying the guy who agreed to the deal as a crazy guy who got hired as a the GM because someone owed him a favor...This is ridiculously stupid. If Ozzie made that trade today, I believe Bisciotti wouldn't even walk into the room to fire him. He'd have some armed officers escorting him out of the building without a word.
    Funny that you mention that, because the closest deal to that IRL came from Ozzie Newsome. Remember when we traded down in 2008? We went from 8th to 26th and only picked up a few 3rd/4th rounders in addition. It might have even been a worse value than the trade from the movie - somehow, the value chart backed it up.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland