Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 49
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,541

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.



    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I disagree that the NFL should "respect" the fans. The NFL doesn't owe any fan anything. If you don't like their practices than stop viewing their programs and stop spending your money on them. Just complaining comes off as childish IMO.
    I don't know if I'd go as far to say they shouldn't respect the fans but I definitely agree they don't owe us anything other than the product they're providing.

    Your sentiment is spot on though. If I go to a restaurant and I don't like the food, service, etc I don't spend my money there. I don't go to the owner expecting something more out of the deal. Personally, I could care less the reasons behind the schedule release being moved. Even with it moved to next week, there's still plenty of lead time to schedule trips for away games.

    By and large, the league does a good job at listening to the fans. We see as much with their efforts to make the in game experience more attractive.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    6,822

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't know if I'd go as far to say they shouldn't respect the fans but I definitely agree they don't owe us anything other than the product they're providing.

    Your sentiment is spot on though. If I go to a restaurant and I don't like the food, service, etc I don't spend my money there. I don't go to the owner expecting something more out of the deal. Personally, I could care less the reasons behind the schedule release being moved. Even with it moved to next week, there's still plenty of lead time to schedule trips for away games.

    By and large, the league does a good job at listening to the fans. We see as much with their efforts to make the in game experience more attractive.
    Exactly.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  3. #15

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't know if I'd go as far to say they shouldn't respect the fans but I definitely agree they don't owe us anything other than the product they're providing.

    Your sentiment is spot on though. If I go to a restaurant and I don't like the food, service, etc I don't spend my money there. I don't go to the owner expecting something more out of the deal. Personally, I could care less the reasons behind the schedule release being moved. Even with it moved to next week, there's still plenty of lead time to schedule trips for away games.

    By and large, the league does a good job at listening to the fans. We see as much with their efforts to make the in game experience more attractive.
    I think you make some good points, but the comparison to the restaurant industry falls a little short IMO. If a given restaurant fails to meet my standards I can stop patronizing it and take my money elsewhere--and presumably if others follow suit then either that restaurant responds by improving or fails and the overall pool of restaurants gets better by subtraction.

    The NFL isn't like that, though, because they are a government-sanctioned monopoly and there is no competition in their market segment. Since they have total monopoly over a high-demand market, there is virtually no way to use the kind of market pressure you could in the restaurant example. It behooves the NFL to listen to the fans to some degree but they're not going to lose out on revenue by pissing fans off--consumers will simply grudgingly spend money and watch TV instead of happily doing so.

    I don't think it's "hating" (hate that word) on the NFL to criticize the schedule release and draft dates. I follow the draft community closely and this is probably the quietest and lowest-energy draft season I've seen in years despite having one of the best and most interesting draft classes in a long time. It's pretty much universally agreed that pushing the draft back created a weird media-black-hole through mid to late April that is really dampening everyone's enthusiasm.

    It just is what it is... the NFL, usually a very savvy operation when it comes to these things, made a bad call to push these dates back for questionable reasons. It reminds me of how they moved the Pro Bowl to Miami one year instead of Hawaii. It was a dumb mistake, everyone hated it, and the NFL moved it back the next year. If the NFL sticks to their cover story (that the draft was moved because Radio City Music Hall was booked up the original day) then they could easily fix the problem next year with no egg on their face. I think that's what will end up happening.




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,541

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    I don't care if it's a monopoly or not nor should it matter.

    If ANY business doesn't live up to my standards, I don't give them my money. There's no automatic that I'd have to take my money elsewhere.

    I basically don't spend any money on the O's while the owner is in place for those very same reasons. I support them and root for them but I'll be damned if I give Angelos a dime of my money.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    6,822

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think you make some good points, but the comparison to the restaurant industry falls a little short IMO. If a given restaurant fails to meet my standards I can stop patronizing it and take my money elsewhere--and presumably if others follow suit then either that restaurant responds by improving or fails and the overall pool of restaurants gets better by subtraction.

    The NFL isn't like that, though, because they are a government-sanctioned monopoly and there is no competition in their market segment. Since they have total monopoly over a high-demand market, there is virtually no way to use the kind of market pressure you could in the restaurant example. It behooves the NFL to listen to the fans to some degree but they're not going to lose out on revenue by pissing fans off--consumers will simply grudgingly spend money and watch TV instead of happily doing so.

    I don't think it's "hating" (hate that word) on the NFL to criticize the schedule release and draft dates. I follow the draft community closely and this is probably the quietest and lowest-energy draft season I've seen in years despite having one of the best and most interesting draft classes in a long time. It's pretty much universally agreed that pushing the draft back created a weird media-black-hole through mid to late April that is really dampening everyone's enthusiasm.

    It just is what it is... the NFL, usually a very savvy operation when it comes to these things, made a bad call to push these dates back for questionable reasons. It reminds me of how they moved the Pro Bowl to Miami one year instead of Hawaii. It was a dumb mistake, everyone hated it, and the NFL moved it back the next year. If the NFL sticks to their cover story (that the draft was moved because Radio City Music Hall was booked up the original day) then they could easily fix the problem next year with no egg on their face. I think that's what will end up happening.
    That's the problem...if you're so unhappy with a product, then don't give that company anymore of your money. Keeping your consumer base happy and wanting to spend money on your product is different than informing that consumer base of every business decision and the reasons why. What other corporation does consumers demand such information from? If regardless of what the NFL does, be it moving event dates, not releasing information, adding games, changing rules, etc., you will still consume their product...then what are you complaining about?
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    833

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I don't get why people are so upset that the NFL hasn't released the schedule yet.
    Because seeing the schedule allows me to see which games I can plan on going to, and the earlier I can make plans, the better chance I have at getting off work to do so.




  7. #19

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Because seeing the schedule allows me to see which games I can plan on going to, and the earlier I can make plans, the better chance I have at getting off work to do so.
    This is the main reason most people want to see the schedule. I go to two road games a year. Securing hotel rooms in the away cities is a must as soon as the schedule comes out. That and getting plane tickets lined up.




  8. #20

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    If the league announces the schedule on the 22nd as expected, it will be announcing it 4 days later than it did last year.

    Judging from the amount of discussion this "delay" has created, I think the NFL's plan has worked, if in fact there was a plan.




  9. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,250
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    You know with the prolonged break between the free agenc frenzy and the draft, I am not interested nearly as much as I have been in the past. I dont really care when the schedule comes out and I am kind of take it or leave it on the draft. Really if it is not about the Ravens, Idon't care.




  10. #22

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I don't get why people are so upset that the NFL hasn't released the schedule yet.
    For those planning trips to away games - the earlier arrangements are made, generally the cheaper.

    I really think the NFL should only have a week by week schedule announce - announce the Week 1 matchups now. During week 1's games announce week 2 parings etc. Yea - that's the ticket




  11. #23

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    Bottom line is they're trying to tweak something that isn't broken. Overthinking. Greedell. It is what it is. Next year it will go back to the usual. Just like the pro bowl being moved. Wish they would move that back to AFTER the SB but looks like that's one failure that's here to stay. Like the London and Thursday night games.




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,541

    Re: For those of you furious with the NFL for dragging out the schedule release and Draft, this is hilarious.

    It's only four days later than last year.

    Planning trips are impacted? Bullshit.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland