View Poll Results: Pick 17: Lee or Beckham or Cooks

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lee

    11 25.58%
  • Beckham

    26 60.47%
  • Cooks

    6 13.95%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 147
  1. #73

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario



    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think Beckham is a reach at all at 17 although I do agree that there probably will be someone else that may fit a need a lot more.

    The others are slight reaches though IMHO.
    I'm more concerned with need here then "absolute value".
    Beckham to a team that NEEDS a WR, in the ballpark of pick 17 is completely different from Beckham to the Ravens at 17.

    "Should we draft our starting FS or our 5th WR this round?" is not a reasonable question to be asking. Again, TRUE BPA is one thing, but at 17 there is only 1 EXTREME scenario that makes Beckham TRUE BPA at 17, as if you eliminate QB's, I think I have him at EXACTLY 17... But as I stipulated earlier, if NO QB's go before our pick, I would think the phone's a ring-ing...

    I said the premise of the thread is flawed, because I can't envision a situation in reality where the Ravens have NO CHOICE but to take one of these three guys. IF we are gonna reach, I'd rather reach for Nix or Tuitt...




  2. #74

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Did I once say HUGE reaches? NO
    They all probably should be gone by around the end of the first round. But there are players nearly as good that should be available until the end of the second round.

    I consider them poor values at 17 because the drop off at the WR position(after Evans and Watkins) is FAR LESS steep then it is at POSITIONS WE ACTUALLY HAVE A NEED AT. To use such a prime pick on a future guy only, and ignore a POTENTIAL STARTER is pure lunacy.

    The value point for the players isn't THAT horrible, it's that you are considering passing on a starting FS for a #5 WR, when their might not even be a starting FS on the board when we pick at #48!!!! RT is a "bit' deeper position, but again, you are talking about 1 injury away from playing LT!!! Beckham might be 3 injuries away from cracking the starting lineup at a less important position.

    It's one thing to take a WR because he is the BPA... IF there were a guy and it worked out way I'd be "ok" with it... but the chances that one of these guys is the BPA at 17 is minuscule.
    It simply makes far more sense to take a player we actually NEED, from a position group that is LESS deep in the draft, and less deep on our team, then simply drafting a WR, because... "We have to get a top wideout".... which i don't understand the thought process behind, if there was one.
    Lol at drafting a wr at 17 and having him sit behind Jacoby as a WR5.




  3. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Reaches according to who? You? And what makes your opinion more valid than others?

    Again, I am going to laugh my ass off if the Ravens pick a WR in Rd. 1 given the amount of blow back you are giving on a goddamn hypothetical scenario thread.
    If the Ravens take Beckam over, say, Dennard or Gilbert, I don't think laughter is the appropriate response. But yes, I see that you are indeed one of those people who are obsessed with drafting a WR, so that explains the inane stipulations in the OP.




  4. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think Beckham is a reach at all at 17 although I do agree that there probably will be someone else that may fit a need a lot more.

    The others are slight reaches though IMHO.

    I don't think Beckam is a reach at 17 either, but I do think he'd be a bad value pick given the Ravens' current roster, offensive system (i.e. a lot of two tight end sets) and the other players who will be on the board in this scenario.




  5. #77

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Lol at drafting a wr at 17 and having him sit behind Jacoby as a WR5.
    lol at understanding how rosters work.

    JJ dresses every Sunday as the starting punt/kick returner. For a 5th WR to make the game day roster, he would be REQUIRED to play ST's... and we already said that JJ is the starting punt and kick returner... Do any of these guys play gunner?




  6. #78

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    If the Ravens take Beckam over, say, Dennard or Gilbert, I don't think laughter is the appropriate response. But yes, I see that you are indeed one of those people who are obsessed with drafting a WR, so that explains the inane stipulations in the OP.
    I've read dennard could drop to late 20s. Guys like roby and fuller could leapfrog him.

    But its cool apparently you and jonboy know exactly what is going to happen in the draft.




  7. #79

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    lol at understanding how rosters work.

    JJ dresses every Sunday as the starting punt/kick returner. For a 5th WR to make the game day roster, he would be REQUIRED to play ST's... and we already said that JJ is the starting punt and kick returner... Do any of these guys play gunner?
    having 5 WRs is different than being WR5 in priority.

    Very simple scenario. Jacoby is used primarily only on ST. Marlon primarily only in redzone. Pick 17 WR becomes WR2/3 depending on how Smith is used.
    Last edited by bt12483; 04-22-2014 at 04:42 PM.




  8. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    5,482

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    lol at understanding how rosters work.

    JJ dresses every Sunday as the starting punt/kick returner. For a 5th WR to make the game day roster, he would be REQUIRED to play ST's...
    I'm not so sure that is written in stone. If you have an offense that is going to go with 4 WRs on occasion and don't want to use Jacoby Jones in that role, then your 5th receiver is seeing the field on offense. There is no rule that says he has to play special teams, and other players (CBs, LBs) might simply be better on special teams, yet the #5 WR brings value elsewhere. In general I think you are right, but like I said, it's not a given.




  9. #81

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    We need a 100 catch/yr #1 receiver in the Ravens offense, PERIOD, so don't discount the need at the WR position. The Ravens FO are probably thinking in their minds that we will not be drafting #17 again since we are a perennial playoff team, so this might be the year to go get that #1 receiver. I think Cooks (Antonio Brown with T Y Hilton speed) and Beckham (a faster Heinz Ward type) fit that bill (Lee... probably a #1B ceiling... so maybe the greater value is not there compared to the 2nd round mock players). The Ravens FO might not agree with me or you, but that's my opinion.




  10. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've read dennard could drop to late 20s. Guys like roby and fuller could leapfrog him.

    But its cool apparently you and jonboy know exactly what is going to happen in the draft.
    Well anything can happen, but it'd be really surprising to see Dennard fall past the Jets. They need/want a CB and he's a perfect fit for Rex's system. In any case, I don't know what that has to do with him being a better fit for the Ravens than Beckam. Roby and Fuller probably would be too!




  11. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    We need a 100 catch/yr #1 receiver in the Ravens offense, PERIOD, so don't discount the need at the WR position. The Ravens FO are probably thinking in their minds that we will not be drafting #17 again since we are a perennial playoff team, so this might be the year to go get that #1 receiver. I think Cooks (Antonio Brown with T Y Hilton speed) and Beckham (a faster Heinz Ward type) fit that bill (Lee... probably a #1B ceiling... so maybe the greater value is not there compared to the 2nd round mock players). The Ravens FO might not agree with me or you, but that's my opinion.
    If Antonio Brown and Hines Ward are your idea of "!00 catch #1 guy," then you're essentially definining that by scheme and targets, and there's no reason that Torrey Smith can't put up those numbers.




  12. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm not so sure that is written in stone. If you have an offense that is going to go with 4 WRs on occasion and don't want to use Jacoby Jones in that role, then your 5th receiver is seeing the field on offense. There is no rule that says he has to play special teams, and other players (CBs, LBs) might simply be better on special teams, yet the #5 WR brings value elsewhere. In general I think you are right, but like I said, it's not a given.
    Kubiak is going to use three tight ends if his offensive system stays more or less the same, so there's basically no way they dress four non-JJ receivers on a regular basis.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland