Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Start looking at the Draft

Right, Dixon makes sense, he's got enough athletic ability himself to keep defenses honest. Someone will have to account for him or else he'll take off and run 80 yards if you leave him a massive hole. That makes things easier for the entire offense.

I'd be all for bringing in Dixon and hiring the Oregon OC as the QB coach this year...the guy obviously knows how to work with Dixon to get better results...look at the level of play between years with Dixon. There's a guy that can work with a QB to take him to the next level. Bring him along. Not only that, it'll help Dixon's comfort level in adjusting.

CB makes a lot of sense. So does a DE or DT that can actually generate a pass rush. Long out of VA wouldn't upset me at all as a 1st round pick.

Blog Entries

Re: Start looking at the Draft

I don't know much about specific players, but here's where I'd assess need...

QB - 7 out of 10 - Only because I think Boller has proved he can be a decent player when we need him to. He hasn't proven he can be the ultimate answer, but I think we could afford to draft a middle round guy, groom him while Boller starts, then let that guy take over in a few years

HB - 2 out of 10 - McGahee is showing he can get things done with a decent OL...actually in this case, even without one. Not sure what Musa's contract status after this year is, or where we think P.J. Daniels/Cory Ross will be next year, in terms of a 3rd down back to spell McGahee. Probably just need a FA for that.

WR - 6 out of 10 - Clayton has been abysmal this year, but I want to believe it's the injury. Mason has done everything he can this year, but I can't imagine he'd want to put himself through another year of this, in which case we need a big receiver, but we'd likely look for a FA for that. Demetrius Williams needs to step up, but he's still young. Figurs has shown his skills as returner, would like to see him add WR threat to that.

OL - 5 out of 10 - Gaither is the future at LT, and Terry and Yanda can duke it out at RT. Brown and Grubbs and Chester are the future interior OL. That said, wouldn't hurt to get some competition, just probably not a 1st or 2nd round pick

DL - 4 out of 10 - Pryce will return to form and remain a dominant member of our DL. Gregg and Ngata are super troopers. We need depth, as shown with the injury to Pryce, and can you even name the backup to Ngata and Gregg?

LB - 7 out of 10 - Scott and Johnson are cool. Ray is aging, and we need to start planning for his phase out. Suggs, if he leaves, will need to be replaced bigtime.

CB - 10 out of 10 - Rolle should be no better than a nickel back. Martin has potential, maybe he plays up to expectations, but I doubt he's got the ability of a good #2 cover corner. Pittman should be cut. Our main weakness, as I see it.

FS/SS - 2 out of 10 - Landry and Reed are good, when the rest of the secondary is as well
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!