New Punishment in NFL

Just read in the Setting Sun the new penalty for helmet-to-helmet contacts.

This weekend, referees are now instructed to EJECT a player who leads with the crown of his helmet and makes helmet-to-helmet contact.

I for one love this hard stance. Goddell is showing he cares not only about the leagues reputation, but that he wants to take a hard-line stance towards player safety as well. After watching Schaub take that wicked hit last week (and that Philly Eagle player lay cheap shot), I think this is long overdue.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Re: New Punishment in NFL

Personally I think this is too much of a penalty for the team. While I agree that the player should be ejected, with rosters already limited to 45 players without anyone getting injured, evicting someone puts a lot of pressure on the remaining active players.

I would love to see a change where an evicted player can be replaced an inactive. Otherwise I am afraid, referees aren't going to be quite hesitant to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    It is only for flagrant helmet to helmets....like the one to Schaub
    Thats what I said (???) Leading with the crown of your helmet shows intent to the refs.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Im glad the NFL is recognizing that these helmet to helmet hits have become way too commonplace and that they are extremely dangerous.

I hope the referees will be able to differentiate between a purposeful vicious hit and one that might be helmet to helmet but not intentional.

This rule could have a huge effect on the league. Losing a top notch defender in the first quarter changes a game completely.

But if a guy leads with his helmet on purpose, Im fine with an ejection. These guys are too big and too fast to be doing stuff like that.

PP

"I hope the referees will be able to differentiate between a purposeful vicious hit and one that might be helmet to helmet but not intentional."

I foresee that as being a HUGE problem. They can't even tell if someone is out of bounds half the time. Still, I think it is a much needed rule.
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

Quote Originally Posted by ladyraven127 View Post
    "I hope the referees will be able to differentiate between a purposeful vicious hit and one that might be helmet to helmet but not intentional."

I foresee that as being a HUGE problem. They can't even tell if someone is out of bounds half the time. Still, I think it is a much needed rule.
    Valid point. I have been a high school referee for about 6 years now. The camera angles you see on TV do not give you a good idea what we can see and, sometimes more importantly, hear. Not only is it pretty visibly obvious, but the sound of helmets colliding is VERY distinctive. If a head snaps back, its either helmet to the head or a forarm, either way Im calling a penalty and then confer with the other refs to see if someone had a clear line of sight on the play.

Granted, you cant penalize on sound. But it will give the refs on the field a good idea on whom to watch. NFL refs "game plan" who they need to watch anyway.

Does this mean Hines Ward will be out of every game.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker

Oh, my bad, I thought the punishment was watching the Ravens offense.

Then again, if you are into the Keystone Cops thing, it might be pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Does this mean Hines Ward will be out of every game.
    One could only hope!!!!!