Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 22
  1. #1

    Implications of a new coach



    Say we fire Billick. what players have to go as well?

    I don't see how a new coach could deal with an ego like Ray Lewis. He was on the radio last night talking about "his" secondary. I thought Ray was a player on a team and a linebacker at that. Since when did he take ownership of the secondary. Ray Lewis undermines the coach. You can't have that with a new guy.

    A new coach is going to have to bring these guys together as a team and I think our defense has considered themselves another team within the team.

    Billick has let the veterans pretty much do their thing. A new coach can't do that. I think alot of guys on this team think they want a new coach, but may be in for a rude awakening if we get one.




  2. #2

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    I could see how a bit of a rebuild could do good. What if we tag and trade Suggs, Trade Ray, let McNair, Rolle and Ogden retire. We could then cut or trade Mason and MA. A bunch of spare parts around that could change as well. I think that would allow us to bring in talent in three ways. Young FA's with enhanced cap space, potentially some young guys buried on depth charts from above trades, and enhanced draft picks. In all three cases, I think the key is to get younger. We need to extend Brown and Scott as well.




  3. #3

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I could see how a bit of a rebuild could do good. What if we tag and trade Suggs, Trade Ray, let McNair, Rolle and Ogden retire. We could then cut or trade Mason and MA. A bunch of spare parts around that could change as well. I think that would allow us to bring in talent in three ways. Young FA's with enhanced cap space, potentially some young guys buried on depth charts from above trades, and enhanced draft picks. In all three cases, I think the key is to get younger. We need to extend Brown and Scott as well.
    I agree with everything except Suggs. You need a premier pass rusher in this league, and Suggs is that. He's young as well.




  4. #4

    Wink Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    what players have to go as well?
    Sayonara:

    McNair, Rolle, Ogden for sure - frees up cap multi-millions.

    Ivy & Troy Smith (just too little to play a big man's game)

    Smith Bros Coughdrops -- if there are decent & healthy LBs to step in.



    On the bubble:


    Flynn (age/salary)
    Figurs (scary watching him try to catch, and he's no 4th WR)
    Stover (if there is a roster numbers issue)
    Suggs (if salary demands cannot be compromised)
    Darling (if a low round BPA beats him in Training Camp)
    Dwan Edwards (if a low round BPA beats him in Training Camp)


    I would not be surprised to see Wilcox and/or Mason move on or retire as well.

    Ray Lewis will be back in 2008 -- unless he displays major attitude problems. Like him or not, he is the heart of a good defense.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,030

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Say we fire Billick. what players have to go as well?

    I don't see how a new coach could deal with an ego like Ray Lewis. He was on the radio last night talking about "his" secondary. I thought Ray was a player on a team and a linebacker at that. Since when did he take ownership of the secondary. Ray Lewis undermines the coach. You can't have that with a new guy.

    A new coach is going to have to bring these guys together as a team and I think our defense has considered themselves another team within the team.

    Billick has let the veterans pretty much do their thing. A new coach can't do that. I think alot of guys on this team think they want a new coach, but may be in for a rude awakening if we get one.
    I have no problem taking ownership of the defense. That's a trait of a true leader and he takes ownership when the D plays lousy too.

    Even in the business world, people say it's "their" company / employer. Taking ownership is a good thing that should be promoted. He doesnt do it to undermine anyone.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,874

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Do you really think McNair will be cut after this year? Worst case scenario I think they let him compete for a backup role in camp, depending on how Boller finishes the year and if we pick a QB up through the draft or free agency.

    Who should be gone:

    Billick
    Rolle
    Ogden
    Flynn
    Mason (may decide to retire if we enter a rebuilding phase)




  7. #7

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Sayonara:

    McNair, Rolle, Ogden for sure - frees up cap multi-millions.

    Ivy & Troy Smith (just too little to play a big man's game)

    Smith Bros Coughdrops -- if there are decent & healthy LBs to step in.



    On the bubble:


    Flynn (age/salary)
    Figurs (scary watching him try to catch, and he's no 4th WR)
    Stover (if there is a roster numbers issue)
    Suggs (if salary demands cannot be compromised)
    Darling (if a low round BPA beats him in Training Camp)
    Dwan Edwards (if a low round BPA beats him in Training Camp)


    I would not be surprised to see Wilcox and/or Mason move on or retire as well.

    Ray Lewis will be back in 2008 -- unless he displays major attitude problems. Like him or not, he is the heart of a good defense.

    Ivy is a decent back-up and he's not breaking the bank. Most teams would be screwed if they lost both their starting corners.

    Eventually this team is going to have to get used to playing without ray. They have done okay in previous years when he pouted his way to injury.




  8. #8

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Do you really think McNair will be cut after this year? Worst case scenario I think they let him compete for a backup role in camp, depending on how Boller finishes the year and if we pick a QB up through the draft or free agency.

    Who should be gone:

    Billick
    Rolle
    Ogden
    Flynn
    Mason (may decide to retire if we enter a rebuilding phase)

    It would be incredibly foolish to pay Mcnair what he is making to compete for a backup role. Somehow I doubt he will restructure to a vet minimum salary. Mcnair is collecting his retirement right now.




  9. #9

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    I definitely believe that McNair and Ogden will retire after this season. McNair's comments following the game this past Sunday were the comments of a man who has thrown in the towel.

    I love how everyone in the media is consistently saying "If not Billick, than who?" What about Rex Ryan? He's already on the staff, knows the team, and the system. I feel that he's one of the top 3-5 candidates to be a head coach in the coming year, why not snatch him up before he gets away, if that's the direction Biscotti wants to go?




  10. #10

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Don View Post
    I definitely believe that McNair and Ogden will retire after this season. McNair's comments following the game this past Sunday were the comments of a man who has thrown in the towel.

    I love how everyone in the media is consistently saying "If not Billick, than who?" What about Rex Ryan? He's already on the staff, knows the team, and the system. I feel that he's one of the top 3-5 candidates to be a head coach in the coming year, why not snatch him up before he gets away, if that's the direction Biscotti wants to go?
    Is Rex Ryan really a change? I mean, Ray thinks the defense is his not Rex's.. I want someone to come in and kick these players in the ass.. Someone who doesnt care about the players egos..




  11. #11

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac
    Who should be gone:

    Billick
    Rolle
    Ogden
    Flynn
    Mason (may decide to retire if we enter a rebuilding phase)
    I can easily see Ogden and Rolle retiring -- in fact, I will be surprised if they don't -- but why should Mason retire? I think he still enjoys playing the game and it's not as if his effectiveness has totally disappeared, as it seems to have with McNair.

    I would be surprised if McNair accepts a backup role beyond this year, but I guess it's possible (although clearly his contract would have to be flushed down the nearest toliet and redone).




  12. #12

    Re: Implications of a new coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Do you really think McNair will be cut after this year? Worst case scenario I think they let him compete for a backup role in camp, depending on how Boller finishes the year and if we pick a QB up through the draft or free agency.
    Yes -- if Boller plays decently for the remainder of the season, or if the Ravens were to pick up a stud in the draft -- McNair would be too expensive to just hang around 1 Winning Drive and carry a clipboard. The cap savings of a post-June cut would be too tempting to ignore, especially for a washed up vet.

    No -- if neither of the above and there is some type of beneficial restructuring of Mcnair's contract. And if there are so many other cuts & retirements that cap money is a non-issue.




    Quote Originally Posted by Last Don View Post
    I definitely believe that McNair and Ogden will retire after this season. McNair's comments following the game this past Sunday were the comments of a man who has thrown in the towel.
    If McNair were to voluntarily retire, he'd walk away from $10+ million, i.e. $4 million 2008 salary & he'd be liable to return over $6 million in bonus money -- not likely. If cut, he'd forego salary, but keep the bonus money. perhaps there would be some compromise parting of the ways -- we can always hope.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland