Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25
  1. #1

    The OL -- Young or Just Bad?



    After watching another poor performance by our OL -- and I don't just mean the pass protection, they also didn't open a lot of holes for MaGahee -- I started wondering: are they a talented but inexperienced group that will improve with more playing time, or are they simply not that good to begin with? Obviously I'm not talking about Ogden or Flynn, neither of whom are playing well either, but the young guys.

    Could it also be that they are playing out of position? Maybe Chester could develop into a decent center but isn't very good at guard, where he has seen some time. Maybe Terry would be better at LT instead of RT. I don't know, but these guys are high draft picks, and just don't look that good so far.

    I just don't see how this offense can put together a good game without better OL play.





  2. #2

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    The OL from the early part of the season played much better than this one. Adam Terry is NOT a good right tackle. But he is a good left tackle.

    Chester should be playing center, and Brown should be playing guard.

    And we need to set that in place and LEAVE it there. If the Ravens want to salvage anything positive out of this season, they need to sit Ogden and FLynn down and tell them thank you for everything you've done for the Ravens and we love you.........but it's time to pass the torch to the young guys and let them develop. We need to do this for the good of the team.




  3. #3

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    They are young,inexperienced AND bad. I have to say though, since I have given up on expecting wins, I now enjoy watching the young guys get some much needed experience. They will develop with time. This season is just pre-season for next year. At least they have some game film to watch and work with. Nothing beats real world experience. They are learning things they do not learn in practice.

    As bad as things are right now, I have faith that this team will turn the corner... eventually.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.
    Posts
    1,539

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    Lets look at this realistically, we have three young guys learning the ropes.

    One vet who should have retired and is wondering what he will do when he does retire while he is still out on the field.

    And one vet that has always been subpar and has always been the target of Raven fans frustration.

    If this isn't a recipe for disaster then I don't know what is.It's like trying to dam a river with 5 sticks.It brings back that old NFL film clip,where a player on the sideline shouts out to the field,"We don't want to get our QB killed!"
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.




  5. #5

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    One plus, yesterday Grubbs and McClain looked GREAT...especially Grubbs...




  6. #6

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    The O-line isn't bad. I feel they are young and improving. Like anyone else they are going to miss some assignments/plays.

    The quarterback can make the O-line seem worse than it actually is.


    People were saying in 2005 how bad the O-line was. Last year the O-line was somehow magically fixed, giving up few sacks. Reason being we had competency at the QB position. With McNair broke down and an incompetent Boller the defense doesn't respect the caliber of QB it's facing and can dictate what it wants to do to the offense instead of the offense attacking the defense.

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    One plus, yesterday Grubbs and McClain looked GREAT...especially Grubbs...
    Yes truely something to smile about.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    444

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by RustonRifle View Post
    People were saying in 2005 how bad the O-line was. Last year the O-line was somehow magically fixed, giving up few sacks. Reason being we had competency at the QB position. With McNair broke down and an incompetent Boller the defense doesn't respect the caliber of QB it's facing and can dictate what it wants to do to the offense instead of the offense attacking the defense.
    Maybe the difference from 2005 to 2006 was health and the fact that the line had several different players on it.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    537

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    The OL from the early part of the season played much better than this one. Adam Terry is NOT a good right tackle. But he is a good left tackle.

    Chester should be playing center, and Brown should be playing guard.

    And we need to set that in place and LEAVE it there. If the Ravens want to salvage anything positive out of this season, they need to sit Ogden and FLynn down and tell them thank you for everything you've done for the Ravens and we love you.........but it's time to pass the torch to the young guys and let them develop. We need to do this for the good of the team.
    AMEN! IMO it is time to stop the charade of "salvaging the season" and begin the rebuilding process NOW and for the rest of the season. Shut down the vets, not only on offense but defense as well, and give the young players real game experience. The one thing this season has made abundantly clear to me is we have little experienced depth on this team. We're fine as long as the first string stays on the field but when the injuries start piling up we have inexperienced scrubs as backups. It's time to "evaluate" what we have on this team in game conditions. Obviously the extensive evaluations undertaken by the organization at seasons end every year aren't accomplishing as much as we'd hoped. The hard decisions need to be made as far as the current roster is concerned or we can look forward to a similar result next season.




  9. #9

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    Billick is coaching for his job.

    Look how long he stuck with McNair when it was clear to everyone on the planet he was finished. I doubt he will be making any moves that benefits future seasons unless it benefits the team in the short term.


    I agree however Terry should be a LT and Yanda at RT at this point, I'm not sold on Chester starting over Flynn just yet.




  10. #10

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    The quarterback can make the O-line seem worse than it actually is.
    This argument continues to crack me up -- it's the QB's fault that he's getting clobbered before he even has a chance to take a look at what's going on downfield. Even McNair would think that's ridiculous. He should know, because he's been getting his ass kicked on many occasions this season, in his limited time on the field.




  11. #11

    Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    This argument continues to crack me up -- it's the QB's fault that he's getting clobbered before he even has a chance to take a look at what's going on downfield. Even McNair would think that's ridiculous. He should know, because he's been getting his ass kicked on many occasions this season, in his limited time on the field.

    I guess it's a case of what came first the chicken or the egg.

    Defenses were stacking the LOS because McNair had no arm stregnth to beat 'em.

    Defenses know that Kyle Boller can't beat a rug . He also can't hit a hot read to save his life , hence the defense can attack the offensive line in any passing situation. Kyle Boller has no pocket presence , awareness or any kind of feel of what's going on around him. Many times he takes hits because he doesn't slide or move away from the pressure. Case in point yesterday on the next to last drive Sypnewski had his man blocked but boller scrambled outside the protection threw offbalance and took a big hit for doing so. If he stayed inside Sypnewski he would have had time to set and pass.

    This offensive line would be much better in front of a quarterback that is competent.




  12. Re: The OL -- Young or Just Bad?

    The line hasn't had any continuity at all this season. Take a look from game to game to the number of different lineups they have trotted out there. Very little cohesion amongst the group.

    The line was rough all day. I do agree that at times Boller doesn't help the issue. His pocket presence and awareness are lacking. At times the happy feet are working too early, even before recievers are out of thier breaks.

    That being said, the team has many issues to resolve. Even the vaunted defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland