Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: NFL Owners Approve International Games

the nfl is turning into a joke,
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

Quote Originally Posted by braven98 View Post
    Not really, it's turning into something very serious indeed.

Disclaimer: I am a football fan, and have been a long long time, (since age ten) but...

NFL football is the closest thing there is to organized mechanized warfare.
    The fact that more people outside of North America are becoming enamored with it is troublesome. Do we really want people in Leningrad, Limerick, London, and Dresden doing High fives and chicken noodle dances?

Militarism. Not a good trend. Nevertheless...Go Killarney!
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Quote Originally Posted by braven98 View Post
    How is that? Because it wants to make money and recognizes the best new avenues to maximize on this? Because it wants to expose its excellent product to a new, so far largely untapped fanbase?

As people have stated, we're talking one home game in 16 years. Being biased here, I think our Raven brothers in the UK deserve a chance to show to their friends what our boys can do - and hopefully convert a few more limeys to the purple and black. The ultimate goal I am sure is to truly globalize the sport and perhaps have competitive franchises (NOT NFL Europe in its current 'glorified training camp' form) overseas. It would be nice to have a true World, as opposed to National Champion, as exists at the moment. As I have said elsewhere, I doubt that goal will be accomplished, but I can't blame the league for trying to expand its reach and maximise its exposure.

As far as PSL's go, I'm sure we would pay for just 9, as opposed to 10, home games that particular season. At least we'd better, or I'll instantly oppose the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    NFL football is the closest thing there is to organized mechanized warfare.
    The fact that more people outside of North America are becoming enamored with it is troublesome. Do we really want people in Leningrad, Limerick, London, and Dresden doing High fives and chicken noodle dances?

Militarism. Not a good trend. Nevertheless...Go Killarney!
    Well I saw Ravens fans singing English soccer chants and throwing celery at Raiders fan this year, and that turned out OK.

Although given the choice, I would prefer to not see Europeans doing a chicken noodle dance.

This idea SUCKS! I've heard or read that the league will compensate the teams that have to lose a home game, but what about the fans, and the vendors that make a living on these home games? How are they going to be compensated? The quick answer is that they won't be.

And the notion of having a game in Germany strikes me as a little stupid -- how many people in Germany even understand the NFL, much less like it? This isn't like the NBA. They have been playing basketball over there for quite a while, but our version of football is probably pretty strange to them.

What the hell, it's just another money grab by the league. I guess we should be used to it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    This idea SUCKS! I've heard or read that the league will compensate the teams that have to lose a home game, but what about the fans, and the vendors that make a living on these home games? How are they going to be compensated? The quick answer is that they won't be.

And the notion of having a game in Germany strikes me as a little stupid -- how many people in Germany even understand the NFL, much less like it? This isn't like the NBA. They have been playing basketball over there for quite a while, but our version of football is probably pretty strange to them.

What the hell, it's just another money grab by the league. I guess we should be used to it by now.
    Germany is the home of five NFL Europe teams, all of which draw over 15,000 fans pretty much every week. For that standard of football, frankly that's brilliant attendance.

Yes it's a money grab, but don't doubt people's understanding of the game, there are plenty of people all over Europe who watch the game every week and have a fantastic understanding of the game. I'll watch usually 6 games a week live and various others on archive, that's readily available and there are lots who do it.

As I've said before the London games will be played at the new Wembley and all 90,000 of those lovely new seats will be filled, with me bringing along many many many people.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I think it is a great idea, so what if I lose one home game every 16 years. It means I can travel every 8 years to some cool new place to see the Ravens, introduce tailgating American style and learn tailgating British or German style. The English food would probably suck, but they are one hell of a party group. The Germans, how about those bratwursts! The NFL won't be played in Paris, after one hit the whole country would surrender to the teams on the field.

The English food would probably suck
    Ooooohhh, that's a low blow Greg, I'm sure we could come up with something.

Why does everyone pick on English food and English chefs? After a few tasty English ales, you won't really notice the food that much anyway.

As far as the attendance at NFL Europe games, 15,000 doesn't seem like a lot to me, but UKRavenStockers makes a good point in that this is basically minor league football, and as such, maybe that really is good attendance. I don't really know. Sending two teams to Germany just still seems like an odd idea to me.

But then again, having a game in Canada also seems weird. It's obviously not much of a trip, but why? They have their own pro football league already, and I think they are already quite familiar with the NFL. I don't think they are going to expand the fan base that much by playing a game in Canada.

I don't think they are going to expand the fan base that much by playing a game in Canada.
    Your probably right, since most Canadians have access to Fox and CBS anyway.

But that's not true in Europe, Asia and Latin America (outside of Mexico the and Caribbean). Have you ever seen the viewership numbers of the Olympics? World-wide TV audiences is where the NFL is opening a new frontier.

As to the complaints about the PSLs: it is true that PSL owners will be denied one of 128 home games every 16 years, and there's no way that the NFL teams are going to provide a 1/128th refund. On the other hand, suppose NFL revenues increase by 10-20% for world-wide broadcasting rights? Everything else being equal, ticket price increases could be mitigated.

I think it's a good idea and an excellent scheduling plan. I am looking forward to booking flights around a Ravens game in London, Munich, Rio de Janeiro or Vancouver. It would be the most memorable road trip ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I think it's a good idea and an excellent scheduling plan.
    T, why is it a good idea and an excellent scheduling plan? Aside from the fact that you might now have a reason to schedule trips to Munich and London, and that the league might take in some extra revenue, how does all that benefit the average fan? I agree that a road trip to Europe would be cool, but the average fan is not going to fly overseas for that game. This plan only benefits the owners, who have quite enough money already.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The NFL won't be played in Paris, after one hit the whole country would surrender to the teams on the field.
    I BLEED RAVEN PURPLE!!!