Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rex Ryan

Re: Rex Ryan

FM, I admire your consistency. Yes there were problems in the 4th, on the offensive side of the ball. Three and outs. But how were they 'playing not to lose'? I just didn't see it. I thought they were overachieving all game and the offense could not get some key first downs late in the game. McGahee gets hit in the hole by Harrison for a gain of one. Then Boller hits McGahee in the flat for a gain of 8, and we fail to convert a 3d and 1. It happens, especially when there are 11 defenders on the other side of the ball. How was that the fault of the HC? Or the OC for that matter?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    My gripe with Billick as a coach is the following:

1. He calls time out and allows his players to call time outs before the 2 minute warning. We were down to 1 TO at the end of the first quarter. Johnny Unitas never used time outs before the 2 minute warning. They should be valued at all costs and saved.
    All teams do this.

2. I still hate his play calling. Everything was going well until the 4th quarter, when he reverted back to the passing game. Run the ball.
    We did not stop running the ball. We stopped gaining yards when we ran the ball, but we did not stop trying.

3. He is a horrible judge of talent. Where is Derek Anderson, Priest Holmes, Brandon Stokley, Casey Robach, etc?
    (a) He does not make the personnel decisions, the FO does, but (b) taking your question literally, they are with Travis Taylor, Frank Sanders, Keydrick Vincent, Brian St. Pierre, Chris Redman, Stoney Case, Marcus Robinson, Clarence Moore, etc., etc., etc.

4. It doesn't matter how we feel; he will be back because we have too many $$$$ invested in him over the next 4 years.
    Half right. It doesn't matter how we feel, that much is true. Frankly, I think it's a good thing they don't care how we feel. Their priority is and should be winning, which is what we've done most years with BB.

5. Most of all, the team has no discipline. Penalties, too many men on the field, wasting time outs, easy training camp, etc.
    Easy training camp? Is that a bad thing in the years we've gone to the playoffs? Or only in the years that we lose? Concerning the timeouts - I could be wrong but I think all NFL fans claim their coaches manage the clock poorly.

Okay, I feel better.
    Good.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Rex went into the "Prevent Victory" defense on the final drive, choosing not to try to put pressure on Brady. That wasn't Billick's decision.
    Al