Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delay of game?

Blog Entries

Delay of game?

Can someone explain the two "Delay of game" penalties at the end? Was that intentional or just complete blunders?
    FOR REED, BIRK, BOLDIN, RAY, ART, TEVIN, OJ, and BALTIMORE...
    SUPER BOWL 47 CHAMPION RAVENS!!!!!!

"We don't make it easy, but that's the way the city of Baltimore is, and that's the way we are. We did this for them back home." - Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Delay of game?

Intentional. The yards didn't really matter and you want to run as much of the clock off as possible.
    This is a novel I was asked to proofread. The author is giving 10% of the profits to kidney research, which is a big deal in the Darb household. Fair warning; it's a fantasy novel, and the main characters are lesbians. It's three bucks on kindle from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/WINDOWS-BROKEN...ken+fairy+tale

I can understand that, but I think I would have traded two seconds for 10 yards.

Intentional.
    Huh?

I think a more accurate term would be: "dumfuck". It was mathematically impossible for the Ravens to run out the clock, and we had TOs on the board. Neither of these delays should have been called, and it was inexcusable to forego the 9 point lead with 18 seconds on the board facing one of the NFL's top QBs. Yes, I was squirming at the end.

Too right Mr T. I could not believe we gave them an opportunity. This one has to be on Billick - he was one PI call away from losing his job today.

Truth is - our D is not THAT good at the moment - six years ago perhaps it was a smart call, but not today!

You run for a first down, then KNEE IT !!!!!!

They should have put three on the board and taken the nine point lead. That could have been a costly mistake on the Ravens. I'm still scratching my head over the final minutes of both halves and clock managment. No reason another TD was not scored at all in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Huh?

I think a more accurate term would be: "dumfuck". It was mathematically impossible for the Ravens to run out the clock, and we had TOs on the board. Neither of these delays should have been called, and it was inexcusable to forego the 9 point lead with 18 seconds on the board facing one of the NFL's top QBs. Yes, I was squirming at the end.

Agreed!! We do some crazy things at the ends of halves & games, don't we?!? Just when I thought I had seen it all I realize that we've only scratched the surface.

I wasn't quite sure why we were taking knees with that much time left on the clock anyway. Run the ball once or twice, take the knee, then if you are that scared of a blocked FG, punt the ball out of the endzone and make them start from the 20 anyway. At least with the punt you can run down the clock too. Then you give them the ball on the 20 anyway without going backwards with delay of game penalties.

I'm with ya T. We do some funky things at the end of halves. This time it thankfully worked out.

Everybody has seen the end of the Cowboys/Skins game right?

Which would you rather have:
    -Our defense standing about 50 yards downfield waiting for any Bengals player with the ball?
    or
    -Our offensive linemen and Matt Stover chasing a DB down the field?

I agree that we should have ran the ball, or used our time-outs, but not kicking the field goal was a good decision.
    This is a novel I was asked to proofread. The author is giving 10% of the profits to kidney research, which is a big deal in the Darb household. Fair warning; it's a fantasy novel, and the main characters are lesbians. It's three bucks on kindle from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/WINDOWS-BROKEN...ken+fairy+tale

Ok, but then what about a punt into the endzone?

Same theory.

We didn't want to do anything to possibly put the ball on the ground.

Well, running the ball with Jamal though? He's not exactly the surest-handed running back in the league either. You can certainly put the ball on the ground with a fumble. I guess I would have max protect punted and just let the ball go into the endzone if that's what you do to start them on the 20.

In this case, Billick's decision worked out this time and we won. It's just not what I want to be banking on if we see say Indy in the playoffs and we keep going backwards to give Peyton Manning a shorter field than we could. That's all I'm saying.