Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Grade Troy Smith

Look we lost this game by alot. But still there are some bright spots. The good thing is that the game seemed be easier for him in the second half. I did like the long TD and I did like that on occasion he was able to move around and try to make something happen. having no INT was nice for a change.
    For the first game on the road with nothing much to play for, I will have to give Troy a B+ for effort but a C- on overall play. Things will get better with more reps
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray...
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

I agree Troy didn't have a fair chance.....but I have to agree with Billick when he said Boller gives us our best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltoman07 View Post
    I agree Troy didn't have a fair chance.....but I have to agree with Billick when he said Boller gives us our best chance to win.
    There isn't a QB on our roster who gives us the best chance to win.

That QB is not on this team yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Heap86 View Post
    I give him a D.

He is not NFL starter material, has a good arm and mobility, but is very inaccurate. His best play was in garbage time, he did nothing in the game in the other 3 quarters.

The posters on the YBR board are drooling over him, he is a 5th round pick and possibly a future back-up with this team or some other team.
    They're drooling because there is vast hypocrisy on that forum. But whatever.

That said, exactly what did you expect him to do with what he had to work with today? There was no way for him to win or even compete in this game. You can't place that on him.

Is anyone drooling? I havent seen high grades here.

Keep in mind we are talking about a 3rd string rookie (5TH ROUND PICK) qb who is being asked play without half the team. I think most are objective.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray...
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

6. Re: Grade Troy Smith

JaMarcus Russell had a worse game for Oakland today...does that mean he's not NFL material? Scratch that...can you SERIOUSLY judge the worth of a rookie QB based on ONE game? No...you can't and it's idiotic to do so.

No QB can play well without consistent pass protection. Smith had lousy pass protection, and, surprise, didn't play well. He has talent, but didn't have the chance to show it.

If anyone expected him to be a savior behind this line, they were unrealistic.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Domination View Post
    JaMarcus Russell had a worse game for Oakland today...does that mean he's not NFL material? Scratch that...can you SERIOUSLY judge the worth of a rookie QB based on ONE game? No...you can't and it's idiotic to do so.
    To the best of my knowledge no-one here is judging him on one performance. We're grading this one performance.

B-, given the circumstances, losing our only true playmaker on offense early, tough place to play on the road, first start as a rookie. I thought he did some good things, and some not so good things, but certainly deserves an extended look.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

I would love to have seen Smith play behind the Pats' OL, and Brady play behind ours. That would be fun to watch.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

11. Re: Grade Troy Smith

Fact is...Troy Smith would have had to throw for well over 300 yards and 3 TDs to win that game by himself...without a running game. To expect that from a rookie QB in his first start against a playoff-bound team is beyond unrealistic. Like Stinger said, there's no possible way Troy Smith was going to win that game (especially after Willis went down)...period.

Preston checked in with his score:

Quarterback: C-

Rookie quarterback Troy Smith did OK for his first start. He was erratic at times and fortunate not to have two or three passes picked off. He'll be sore Monday morning from the beating he took.