Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steve B

Re: Steve B

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard
    Maybe Oz is pissed because Billick talked him into picking Boller.
    I hope you're kidding -- you know they tried to draft Leftwich, and would have if the Vikings weren't such dumb asses. Boller wasn't their first choice.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    Steve B. may not be comfortable in front of the camera because he has never had to be. You try it and see how you do. I have done it when I was in college making tapes to send out to TV stations as a Meteorologist and trust me not everyone is made to be in front of the camera..
    Even more evidence that he should have come out better prepared.
    All I am saying is he should have kept it short and sweet.But wandered off
    down many strange alleyways of thought.

Jerry Jones is a businessman but had football up bringing.I think he played college football.

Steve B made a gut feeling and he has no football knowledge? Yes he took advice from staff Dick and Ozzie.But it came across that he just woke up in the morning and decided to pull the noose tight.

And the comment to the wife that there has to be a Hall of Fame coach out there.Seemed amateur and weird to me.Maybe he did do that,but probably best not to tell the world about it.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Man, I really didn't think about that until you brought it up.

Bisciotti tossed it over to Ozzie and all Ozzie said was "Questions?"

I believe the whole front that all 3 of these guys were tight was just that, a front.

PP

You know I got that feel of the Senators with the bloody daggers in their hands and Caesar on the floor bleeding.When the above happened.Maybe I have too vivid an imagination.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    I would not want to work for a man who one day said I was his man and the next day wake up and say you're fired...I think it is hypocritical and back stabbing to have done it the way Steve Bisciotti had done it....His gut better be right because I do believe Billick will take another team to a Super Bowl
    Art Modell told the Browns players and the media in late 1995 that Bill Belichick would "be your coach next year in Baltimore." I guess he stabbed Belichick in the back, along with the dozens of other owners who have done the same thing in the last 100 years of professional sports.

If you and your co-workers didn't like your boss and then you read in the paper that the owner was considering firing him, how many of your co-workers would give their best efforts? The very public world of professional sports is very different from most of our jobs, so to compare it doesn't make a lot of sense.

BTW, didn't Billick basically do the same thing with Cavanaugh and Fassel?

Wow, we are trying WAY to hard to look into EVERY little piece of a comment and turn it into what was emplied than said. Do you think that maybe it was just what was said and nothing more? Maybe Bisciotti is not a public speaker and doesn't have a script writer. Maybe it was just as acward for him as it sounded. Maybe Oz was sadden by it all and there wasn't much else to say. Maybe he didn't want to come across against Bisciotti and fealt it best to not say anything. What else could be said and no matter what was said that "we" would take it and break it down to what was "meant" and what was not said.

I seem to remember reading that Bisciotti talked to the players before making his decision and got the pulse of the team and fealt that Billick had lost his team. "How many times can you hear the same speach".

Quote Originally Posted by RavenTD
    All I am saying is he should have kept it short and sweet.But wandered off down many strange alleyways of thought..
    He sure did, didn't he? It was in some ways a sort of stream of conscienceness Q and A. "I was 23 when I started my business," "Dick Cass has run a law firm for thirty years." Umm, what does that have to do with anything?

But he closed on an nice note, giving Billick credit for the Super Bowl win and noting that didn't happen on his watch. So although it was a little disjointed and disorganized, it wasn't all bad.

7. Re: Steve B

Quote Originally Posted by BertinNC View Post
    Wow, we are trying WAY to hard to look into EVERY little piece of a comment and turn it into what was emplied than said. Do you think that maybe it was just what was said and nothing more? Maybe Bisciotti is not a public speaker and doesn't have a script writer. Maybe it was just as acward for him as it sounded. Maybe Oz was sadden by it all and there wasn't much else to say. Maybe he didn't want to come across against Bisciotti and fealt it best to not say anything. What else could be said and no matter what was said that "we" would take it and break it down to what was "meant" and what was not said.

I seem to remember reading that Bisciotti talked to the players before making his decision and got the pulse of the team and fealt that Billick had lost his team. "How many times can you hear the same speach".
    Ozzie had that "dear caught in the headlights " look on his face the whole press conference...It was way too weird

8. Re: Steve B

I've listened to the whole press conference twice.
    I think there is too much read into comments or non-comments.

I think what you saw was the owner, not comfortable in the spotlight firing someone who he considered a friend. You must remember Bischotti learned in the background for almost a year before he took over. He no doubt has developed a good relationship with Billick and feels badly about letting him go.

Ozzie is a bit more difficult to figure. I was surprised he didn't say more. The front appeared united but, things seemed a bit forced.

I do believe that Bischotti made this decision just recently and some in the organization may or may not be on board.

I'm a little weary of hearing about how Steve just isn't comfortable with public speaking. If he is so damn smart he should realize that it will be a necessary component of his team ownership to address the public at times, and unfortunately frequently, it will be at unpleasant times such as this. It would seem prudent, to me, to consult or hire a speech coach or something. The guy looks like an idiot up there rambling on about crap that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

As far as Ozzie goes, I had the definite feeling he was very uncomfortable sitting there and couldn't wait to get it over with and get out of there.
    AZRAVEN

[

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjergs
    Ozzie is a bit more difficult to figure. I was surprised he didn't say more. The front appeared united but, things seemed a bit forced.

I do believe that Bischotti made this decision just recently and some in the organization may or may not be on board.
    I'm thinking the same thing -- I'm not convinced that Ozzie was totally in agreement with this decision, and I don't even know why Dick Cass had such a big vote.

I'm not going to try to read much into every individual comment because it didn't look like they had prepared for this at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Ozzie had that "dear caught in the headlights " look on his face the whole press conference...It was way too weird
    Not only that, he made very little eye contact with the media if you watch the video of the press conference.

I watched the presser yesterday and came away impressed with the classiness of the Ravens org. It was clear to me that Steve, Oz, and Brian had a great working relationship, enjoyed working together, but felt that it was time to move on with the direct leadership of the team. That's why the mood was somber. It did not appear to me that Steve was unprepared, or Oz looked lost - they fired a great person, leader, and obviously a friend.

As a manager/leader of people, I continually look for ways to run and improve the the team I manage. All leaders have shelf lifes before their ideas become stale - that's why its good to move on to a new position either internally or externally every 3-4 years so that you maintain a fresh perspective.

During the presser it was clear to me that Steve and Oz were beat up over this decision and would have preferred to bring Brian back - but that was not in the best interest of the org. IMO they were classy and professional in the way they handled this. They recognized that Brian would continue to do things the way he always had which is human nature - but this may not get the job done as it had not the past 7 years.

I love our front office. Oz has been thru this before and brought us a coach who was able to provide a face to the team and give us an identity. He will ultimately be successful again - but it will be hard for him to find a successor who will be as great of a leader as Brian.