Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

To clarify, to have Rex go to DC is an issue because I think it could be equally as divisive to the lockerroom as his staying here disgruntled.

Just imagine that the team could revolt under Ryan. Is it going to be any better if he goes to DC and has success (which I think he would with their personel) and for any reason our defense flounders (which it did this year giving up lots of points)?

I'd rather Rex go a place like Atlanta so he's out-of-sight-out-of-mind. DC isn't even really a move for him. That just invites more second guessing of the move by players if Ryan had any measure of success in DC

You block the move and either get a 3rd rounder for him, or make him come back here, or go somewhere NOT DC.

2. Re: Ravens thwarting Redskins hiring of Rex Ryan?

Some answers here as to what the partys involved think.

Rex Ryan open to a return

"The Washington Redskins and the New York Jets are reportedly interested in hiring Ryan as their coordinator, but Ryan said he had not heard from the Redskins as of Wednesday morning.'

"Ryan is still under contract with the Ravens next season. When asked if it would be tough coaching in Baltimore again, Ryan said: “I don't know. I've been there for nine years. It would probably be pretty comfortable.”

Harbaugh open to Ryan, Gansz

"“I'm very hopeful that it works out,” Harbaugh said. “It's going to come down to what Rex wants to do. I know him, I trust him, I believe in him. I love the guy.”

T,
    With all due respect, this type of contract is in no way comparable to what you do under contract.
    Like you, I also am old school with this type of stuff.
    If I sign up to do something, or give my word, then I'm going to fullfill that obligation.

With that being said....
    What you do is not exposed to millions of people everyday being scrutinized and analyzed by the media in a very public way.
    You don't have employees with big egos making millions lobbying for you to get a job only to be passed over for an unknown.

I'm personally not on the bandwagon of bringing Rex back as I think it could be a potential problem with some of the individuals in the lockerroom.

If both Ryan and Harbaugh are comfortable with it (as it appears in those articles), then let it be so, but if this is Biscotti forcing it onto Harbaugh and Harbaugh is just going with the flow on this to keep Biscotti happy, then I got a real problem with this.

This has to be Harbaughs and Ryans decision, and theirs alone to have it work right IMO.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

This has to be Harbaughs and Ryans decision, and theirs alone to have it work right IMO.
    If (and this is a big if) Harb and Rex are 100% on the same page it could be a great asset. From the fact they have worked together in the past and apparently remained friends it is possible.

Worst case scenario - all the clicking and dissention some of you mentioned...

Best case scenario - Is Rex backs Harb, quells any problems with the team due to his knowledge and familiarity with the team. And if you have ever come in as a manager of anything with existing staff (or a coach with vets on the team) it is awful handy to have someone you can trust who already knows the personalities...

So it is all up to Rex and Harb...
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Ryan says he hasn't talked to the Skins, but the Wash Post says they have under the pretense of an interview for their still open HC spot.

Ryan hasn't really said whether he wants to stay or go (publicly, at least).

Harbaugh has - on several occasions - said he wants Ryan to return. Whether he's saying that because he really thinks that or is just stating the company line remains to be seen, but there have been no indications that he is not for it, so IMO, a lot of complaints about Bisciotti on this one seem a bit off base to me. At this point, I see nothing to indicate that we shouldn't be taking Harbaugh at this word.

Since they haven't interviewed anyone else, it seems that they are intent on keeping him or are trying to negotiate compensation from the Skins.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

So what is the real story with Rex and the Ravens?

Do they want him back?

Do they expect him to be back under his old contract with no extension/pay raise?

Does Rex want to be back?

Does Rex want to wait for the Redskins to choose thier HC spot before officially "settling" for a return as DC here or somewhere else?

I mean, if you look at the Sun right after we hired Harbaugh, we were already in negotiations to keep Rex.

Now, if you listen/read WNST, Nestor and Drew are basically ragging on the Ravens for stringing Rex along and not really wanting him back.

Which is true? And please give something more than "NST/The Sun sucks and is always wrong"...because that is not the case for either.

What do you want to happen now...Rex is not going to be HC in Washington w/o a miracle.

How do you feel about him returning and do you think this whole process may make him bitter here? Do you want him back at all costs...potential consequences be damned? Or do you want him gone with all potential bad consequences be damned?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Ryan says he hasn't talked to the Skins, but the Wash Post says they have under the pretense of an interview for their still open HC spot.

Ryan hasn't really said whether he wants to stay or go (publicly, at least).

Harbaugh has - on several occasions - said he wants Ryan to return. Whether he's saying that because he really thinks that or is just stating the company line remains to be seen, but there have been no indications that he is not for it, so IMO, a lot of complaints about Bisciotti on this one seem a bit off base to me. At this point, I see nothing to indicate that we shouldn't be taking Harbaugh at this word.

Since they haven't interviewed anyone else, it seems that they are intent on keeping him or are trying to negotiate compensation from the Skins.

Some of the other posters should become writers for 'Young and the Restless'. You've got some creative minds!!

Blog Entries

Re: So what is the real story with Rex and the Ravens?

They are all valid ?'s, but us bitching about it on here doesn't help......I'm sure Biscuit has a gentleman's agreement with Rex...maybe a raise is in his future?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    How do you feel about him returning and do you think this whole process may make him bitter here? Do you want him back at all costs...potential consequences be damned? Or do you want him gone with all potential bad consequences be damned?
    His return would be good just for transitional purposes for Harbaugh. I think things are going to be different starting in camp this year and if Rex is there as a sounding board for the D (Ray and Co.), it should help easing the burden for Harbs....either way, Harbaugh needs to assert himself within the team IMO!!!

I know right? I came into this post very late... and held off until I read everything, and finally late int he 2nd page Fanatic brings some reason in that is followed up with some more.
    Everyone around here takes a little bit of info and runs with it worst case scenario....

We look like fools for stopping Rex from going to DC?- HUh? FIrst he is under contract, second, he is good, third THe FO wants him to stay, 4th the coach has said he'd love to have him, 6th - he hasn't siad he doesn't want to be here and 7th, he hasn't said he wants to be in DC, or even interviewed?

DC looks like fools...

I was all about not wanting Rex Back. I thought he was part of the problem. Hearing comments from players wanting him back was enough for me. Now I have changed my mind. Since the FO obvioulsy wants him back, and the HC wants him to help out, I don't see how he could have been part of the problem. I'm aboard to bringing him back and can easily see how that could be accomplished.

Why would Rex Come back? Been here for 9 years, wouldn't have to move, familiarity with the FO, would probably get a big raise/extension, and realistically, it should become obvious to him that HC is not in his future. I mean seriously, we hired Harbaugh, a long term ST coach, and the Falcons picked Mike SMith, who doesn't even really run his defense... Obviously all of these teams that have interviewed him have seen something.

I still really don't want him back and I also still believe he was part of the problems. I'm not at all convinced that Mr Whimsey wanting him back isn't just an appeasement to the defensive guys who lobbied so hard for him to be made HC. Especially if something I saw over on YBR about Ray knowing Billick was to be fired before anyone else in the organization is true. I think it was supposedly taken from the Sun but I'm always a bit suspecious of anything I read over there, still it's kind of in my head now.
    AZRAVEN

[

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    third THe FO wants him to stay, 4th the coach has said he'd love to have him....Since the FO obvioulsy wants him back, and the HC wants him to help out
    The only person that stated that they wanted RR back is Bisciotti. Oz has not commented. Harbaugh was about as non-committal on the subject as one could be.

If, as advertised, things are going to change under Harbaugh I can see no logical benefit to bringing back part of the old regime. In fact, I think it would impede any changes Harbaugh wants to make on defense. As far as Harbaugh needing to assert himself I think he needs to tread cautiously on that, to me one of the subliminal messages Mr Whimsey was delivering with his staunch defense of Ray Lewis (without prompting) was don't cross my buddy and that may apply to some other things as well.
    AZRAVEN

[