Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: I'll start it!

I'm the second Ben on this thread who is from England. I'm 28 and am from York in the north of the country. It's quite similar to York, PA, but older and with more pubs. And no Harley factory.

Attended university in Manchester, UK where I graduated with a degree in law. Was all set to become a lawyer when I decided to hell with that, took a year off, got a job with an extremely specialized travel company, and was promptly sent to the U.S. to open an East Coast office. Initially based just outside of D.C., moved up to Baltimore in the nick of time to become a Ravens fan. We have been fairly successful in the five and a half years since I opened the office and are right in the middle of downtown Baltimore.

Had no idea about this game of football but learned with the assistance of new found friends in the bars of Fell's Point, where I still live. Formed an immediate affinity with the local team in purple, attended my first game in 2002 (Cincinnatti) and got hooked. After buying season tickets on ebay for the 2004 season, I'm now going into my second season as a PSL holder and very proud of that I am.

My other interests include English Football, or 'soccer', my team being Newcastle United, who will win a trophy in my lifetime, honest and golfing around Maryland (although I don't do Clifton Park anymore).

I am still with my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years who was a Giants fan when we met, but has since converted to the good guys. I guess I should make an honest woman of her soon, particularly given the increasing amount of crap I get about it from my fellow tailgaters, and as a reward for her converting to Ravendom.

These days I can be found prior to games in Lot J with above mentioned unruly mob, drinking belgian ales and stealing other people's cigars.

I have nothing of significance to report. :34853_baghead:
    SS

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

I am Paul 41 years old the last time I looked.I am in Facility Management.
    Which is a fancy name for setting up offices.So people can move in and mess them up.

I was born in London England,have moved around the country thanks to my fathers job,while also screwing up my education.No bitterness there whatsoever.

I am married to Deb the most beautiful woman in my world.[Sick buckets can be found near the exit].

I got into football when my Dad came back from the States with some american football figures.I started following American football on Armed forces radio in the 1980's.Went to most American Bowls at Wembley.And followed the London Monarchs of the WLAF.Played American football for 5 years in England.I once recorded 22 tackles in a game from my strong safety position.I sometimes believed I knew more about the game than these American coaches who came over.Especially the one who was reading from the "guide to American football,"book.

My first vision of football was NFL films,the story of the Greatest QB's,and the Greatest Game. Johnny U,and the Baltimore Colts must have planted a seed in my mind.

Some 11 years later being a fan of the NFL and its players,but not of a team.
    The Browns became the Ravens.The Ravens are very important in London,the Tower of London that is.

In deference to an ancient legend, a number of ravens are fed at the Tower at government expense; so long as the ravens remain at the Tower (which is ensured by trimming the flight feathers of the ravens), Britain is safe from invasion. Legend also says that should the ravens leave the Tower of London, the White Tower will crumble and the Monarch will fall, thus, the ravens are the palladium of the realm. The names of the eight ravens currently in the tower are Gwylum, Thor, Hugine, Munin, Branwen, Bran, Gundulf, and Baldrick. In 2006, ahead of the H5N1 avian flu scare, the ravens were moved indoors, and have since remained there.

So there you have it,Johnny U and the Tower of London Ravens.Finally made me follow an NFL team in 1996.

It took a long time to find the right partner in my life.And the result has been heaven.The same can be said for choosing the Ravens.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

You forgot to mention that you too are coming over for the Oakland opener!

I anticipate hoisting a few cold ones with you while you are here. You English like your beer cold, right?

Did you have success getting your computer squared away with this forum?

I also forgot to add that my wife got me into mountainbiking.After I started going insane after retiring from football.You ever seen a caged tiger,well thats what I was like after I couldn't knock the snot out of someone carrying a pigskin.

The mountainbiking we did,was downhill.Which is flying down a mountain at about 20-30 mph,zipping between trees,going off jumps and dropoffs.And hopefully we were in one piece at the bottom.Crashing was pretty cool to.
    But as we are getting older we just stick to freeride.

Beer cold is good and look forward to meeting you and the crew finally Greg.
    When we are over for the Oakland game.Can everyone just please chill on the planes so we get no hassle coming over.Thanks.

I will do what you said tomorrow when I login.Hopefully that will sort it.I remember a similar beef when YBR changed its address.

Just like to add.As we are 5 hours ahead of you guys and girls.Night games suck.So I won't be able to be up for the Iggles game due to work the following morning.

So that is me,I thank you.

RavenTD, thanks for the Ravens history. Don't know why but learning their names was pretty cool!

Im 29 and grew up in Lutherville.

Went to Towson HS and Radford University (Yes, I know the STD situation there) and Im clean

Got a degree in communications and interned at ComcastSportsnet in Philly. After the internship was up, they offered me a fulltime gig. It was my dream job so I thought.

After working there through the 2000 football season (it was great celebrating the Ravens SB victory with all Philly people) I transferred down to the "new" CSN in Bethesda. Huge mistake. As most of you know, that station is still horrendous and it was when it was launched. I stayed there for about 6 months and couldn't take it anymore. Talk about 3rd rate operation.

After that I got into home improvement and worked with another guy for about 4 years.

I decided to branch off and work for myself doing painting and drywall work. I started in Jan of 2005 and haven't looked back. I love being my own boss. Never thought in a million years I'd be doing this but here I am.

My girlfriend and I bought a house in Perry Hall in March.

I've got 2 PSLs. I sit in 510 and have another in 539.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN
    RavenTD, thanks for the Ravens history. Don't know why but learning their names was pretty cool!
    Thanks,I could also tell you about the London Ravens American football team
    which I supported.They were so dominant for a long time.And had a pretty good Raven logo in the 80's.Maybe it was all destiny that all these pieces made a whole.

Here's one of the Ravens getting a checkup from a Beefeater.

Wow. Oh what the hell, I have never had anything to hide.

Actually born in Milford Connecticut, my family moved down here to Maryland when I was 6 months old. So I consider myself a Maryland native no matter what the law says!

I'm 32 years old and currently living in Hamilton, but getting ready to move back into the Edgewood/Joppa area where I spent the bulk of my life. I have a wife of 4 years, and a wonderful 22 month old son (who's all of a sudden hitting those Terrible Two's a little early!). I won't lie, life is good.

I am a graduate of Joppatowne High School and Villa Julie College with a CIS degree. But since I hate programming I switched gears and decided to move to the hardware side of things. I am currently a Network Engineer for a small tech firm in Timonium that specializes in Microsoft Windows networks for small-medium sized companies.

Also, like PurpleRulez, I have been playing the piano since the age of 9. I am the piano player for Mood Swings Big Band, which I have been doing for the last 8 years. We've played for almost everyone, including 2 Presidents (yes of the United States), Governor's, Mayors, and a host of other big time events. Actually we're playing at Boordy Vineyards on the 26th for anyone in the Loch Raven area that would like to come out. I'll be there. I have also been the music director for B'nai Torah, which is a small Synagogue group in Bel Air. I haven't done that in a while.

Anyway, Baltimore sports fanatacism hasn't come easy for me. My parent's really weren't into sports much. My mother is what you call a fairweather Yankee's fan (being from the Bronx and all), and we've been to a smattering of Orioles games. Which unfortunately is more than I've been to in the last 9 years. It's unfortunate because up until Angelos ran the team into the ground, my friends and I not only talked Baseball like it was our first passion (because in many cases it was), but in my early 20's I spent 1/4th of my life at Camden Yards. Now my loyalty is at M&T.

Football is what I became in love with after the Ravens came along. Not really being attentive when the Colts left for Indy, I first tried getting into Football with the Baltimore Stallions CFL team. After watching us get bent over by the NFL on expansion, I credit Baltimore for trying to get SOMETHING Football in here. It was actually enjoyable, and I started to get to understand what was going on. Then as quick as it came, the Stallions left. When the Ravens came, I swore I was going to start trying to get into it. As hard as it was, by 1999 when the Ravens finally went 8-8, I had made the effort to learn the players names and start checking out other teams in the league. And today I call my self a proud and die-hard Football fan, and Ravens fan forever, no matter where I will ever go. I am a proud PSL holder and happily sit up in the 510's right above where the players are introduced. And yes, I still get teary-eyed everytime I hear "God Bless the USA" and watch the various color guards march onto the field.

Also, as you guys know by now I am an avid gamer, and I love my Football games. I miss 2K, but I'm getting used to Madden.

Well, since RM showed his picture, I will show one as well. Not that you can't go to NLG and see me somehow. But I totally geeked out last year in New York at the Madden pre-launch event and hung out with Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper, Chad Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Marcus Trufant, Tony Gonzales, and a couple other guys. Don't ask me what was wrong with my hair that day. I was embarrassed looking back at these:

Yes, that is a totally gay moment I had with Tony Gonzales. Really, he put his arm around me first, what was I supposed to do???

Anyway, that's me. Good ol' StingerNLG.
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 08-16-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven
    We have been fairly successful in the five and a half years since I opened the office and are right in the middle of downtown Baltimore.
    Fellspoint, I work in downtown Baltimore too -- we should get together for lunch sometime!

As for me, I was born in Maryland but my family moved to central Florida when I was about two, and grew up there. But I became a Baltimore Colts fan because my mother was a huge Colts fan, and it really hurt when they moved. I never really adopted another NFL team during the dark ages, although I still followed the game, so needless to say , I was thrilled when the NFL returned. (I moved back to Maryland in the mid-80s and live in Columbia).

I'm a market research analyst, having worked in health care most of my career at places like Georgetown University Medical Center and Sinai Hospital, but now work at an international humanitarian organization that works around the world but is headquartered in Baltimore, where I love to work. I drive by the Vault every day on my way to and from work, which I never get tired of.

I don't have season tickets but see a game every once in a while, and hope to finally meet some of the very enjoyable people here -- I did finally find Lot J at the preseason game last Friday, but did not have the time to find the group (there was no sign Greg, or whoever said there would be one!).

I'm glad to see this board, as YBR was getting pretty ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    I have a wife of 4 years.
    Stinger, your wife is four years old?

Talk about a fast worker!

Rofl.