Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: I'll start it!

This is a fun board...I've been a Ravens fan since their inception and I currently live in Altamonte Springs, Fl (but am coming back home to Pasadena for good on August 26!!!!!!!!!) and getting news down here about the Ravens is next to impossible. I check out the Sun every morning and listen to WNST (when the web site is working) just to get my daily Ravens fix.

My wife and I used to go to Memorial Stadium on the Friday before general admission tickets went on sale and we camped out in front of the ticket office until Monday morning when the office opened. One year we were actually first in line (the Colts would sell 3,000 tickets and there 5,000 people in line). We did have a ball on those week-ends even though family and friends thought we were jerks. Attended the last Colt game with my 7 year old son and 3 year old daughter (of course we didn't know then that it was the last Colt game).

While I love and embrace the Ravens it still ticks me off that our Colts are in the Hall of Fame under the name Indianapolis...BOY THAT REALLY STILL TICKS ME OFF!!! (that's me with Bob Irsay).

Well, I am so looking forward to being back home "up north" as they say down here and getting re-involved with the Purple and Black

Have worked in the IT field for the past 15 years or so. Started as a help desk/network admin/web developer at Mount Washington Pediatric Hospital. I learned a ton on the job and moved on to consulting. I worked at Price Waterhouse in IT security for a little more than five years. Got to see the world and get paid for it, Brazil, Holland, Vancouver, Saskatoon, basically all of Canada and some cool and really shitty cities in the US. Went on to work in the intelligence community with Booz Allen Hamilton for a couple of years before I took a tour of the US .gov world. I presently own an IT staffing/consulting practice with offices in BAlt/DC/N VA. Its year one and as Greg can attest its WAYYYYYYY harder than working for someone else.

My first football game was Xmas eve, 1977 Colts/Raiders double OT loss. I went to Colts games sporadically before they finally left. Followed the ups and downs of the expansion process and the rumors of other teams coming here and when the Browns were announced I stayed up all night calling everyone I knew. I've been to every game since 1996 except for when my wife was in the hospital. I'd say I missed 2 regular season games since the Ravens started. Since then, I've been married and have 2 girls and a boy. I'm looking forward to the days when they are big enough to go to the games. We live in Timonium. Eight of us sit in section 141 LL endzone.

I've been playing guitar since the 8th grade. I recently cleaned up my 1979 Gibson SG and bought VOX Valtronix amp and started playing again. It sounds awesome and its a really good time. I also have a digital piano and have learned a couple of tunes but mostly want my kids to grow up with music and have an opportunity to play at a young age.
    Last edited by ravenmaniac; 08-17-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Stinger,

Mood Swings played at my wedding in 99 at the Hunt Valley Golf Club. Swing dancing was all the rage back then.

Hi All,
    My name is Rob and I'm in my mid 40s, graduated from Archbishop Curley HS in '77. Tried the college thing at Towson but got tired of it and joined the Navy in 1980. Got to see a bunch of the world, including Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Scotland, England and Ireland. The last three were my favorites, for sure.
    After I did my tour, I got out and went back to school at Towson and got a degree in Geography.
    I worked for a couple of banks doing accouting stuff and eventually landed a job at the MD Science Center. The finance guy there decided I should learn networking so I got into IT. Eventually I got a pretty good job with Alex. Brown in Baltimore in their IT department. They decided to merge and merge again, then Deutsche Bank decided to cut loose most of IT. I was part of the purge and decided to take up tech writing, getting a job in Stevensville MD.

I did so well at the tech writing gig that the Navy base here in Panama City Beach FL wanted me. So my company transferred me down here to the World's Most Beautiful Beaches, as they call it. (I call it FLA, for F*cking Lower Alabama). Its not a bad place at all though.

I've been a PSL owner since the beginning in 1996 (I'm on the wall) and attended every single regular season home game every year until last year, when I was sent down here on a business trip. I was also fortunate enough to be selected to buy tix for Super Bowl XXXV and we drove down. During the trip I had an abscessed tooth but still had the time of a lifetime, seeing MY team win the Super Bowl!

I will still go to games, but sell the others to my friends in Ravens Roost 18, where I am their webmaster. I think they party near you guys in Lot J.
    Also, I learned about the YBR board from Greg and Mista T when I inquired about joining their Annapolis Roost. Greg invited me out to his board party that summer where I met a number of those folks. Thanks Mista T for inviting over here to this board, YBR was getting uncool.
    I don't post a whole lot but love reading all you people's great postings. I only add when I think I might be constructive.
    Last edited by flraven; 08-17-2006 at 10:51 AM.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Bigravensfan
    The thing that I am most happy about, however, is having introduced some top quality long-time members to the board, members like BaltimoreRon, a died-in-the-wool Ravens fan but more importantly, a class act in every way. Ron, myself and others had ďrivalĒ sites at the time but went out of our way to promote each otherís space, as we shared a common love of the Ravens --thatís all that mattered. We had no interest in promoting ourselves, only the team, which was still relatively young. That kind of unselfishness and teamwork is rare these days and Iíll never forget those times. The world would be a much better place if there were more...uh, BaltimoreRons.
    BRF - I'm flattered and a little embarassed. Thank you for the kind words. At the time, your site was the best out there, and like you said, it was all about the Ravens and not about self-promotion. I didn't see the passion and I thought that maybe I could (in my own small way) share that passion and maybe spark it in other potential fans. However, Super Bowl XXXV took care of that for me.

Good to see a lot of my original internet buddies together again, like it used to be. You guys are all a part of my extended family and you definitely hold a special place in my Ravens memories. Let's make some more together.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven
    Hi All,
    My name is Rob and I'm in my mid 40s, graduated from Archbishop Curley HS in '77.
    Hey flraven - my father graduated from Curley in '76. Did you know Jim Louden?

Quote Originally Posted by losac
    Hey flraven - my father graduated from Curley in '76. Did you know Jim Louden?
    Hey losac, No, can't say I did know anyone named Jim Louden. But that name is vaguely familiar.

They say if you can remember the 70s, you weren't really there.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven
    They say if you can remember the 70s, you weren't really there.
    True.

He played a lot of baseball and football while he was there - I can't tell you how many Coach Patry stories I've heard over the years. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by losac
    True.

He played a lot of baseball and football while he was there - I can't tell you how many Coach Patry stories I've heard over the years. Oh well.
    yeah, Coach Patry stories, I can remember the mob soccer games during gym class and in softball, when he pitched he'd yell "DO IT BALL!"

high school days....long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jetskipasa
    I've been a Ravens fan since their inception and I currently live in Altamonte Springs, Fl
    Altamonte Springs? Wow -- that's where I grew up. Where in Altamonte? I lived right by 436 and I-4 (my mother still lives there). I'll be visiting in November for a high school reunion.

I was born in York, PA but moved around a lot as a kid. Grew up in a BIG Phillies/Eagles/PSU house but I never really found my love for PA or itís sports franchises. At 17 I headed west were I spent 4 years working 20 hour days to get through college and a little grad school. Graduated with a major in Mass Communications and a minor in Broadcast Journalism. I lasted all of about 2 years doing weekend radio shows and voice-over work in Oakland before realizing how much I disliked having to work 3 jobs in order to eat and pay the rent.

Moved to Baltimore as the 80s made way for the 90s and instantly fell in love with the city, its history, and especially its people. I framed houses for a number of years before going back to school for IT. I am now a 30-something IT guy currently working at the National Aquarium.

I became a Stallions fan mainly because I lived 4 blocks from Memorial and could get seats for $7 a game. I have been a Baltimore sports nut ever since. I still cheer for PSU and Cal on Saturdays but Sundays belong to the Ravens.

I have an amazing wife of 5 years and a curmudgeonly cat (or is it the other way around?), but no kids. We enjoy bad movies, good food, a well poured Guinness, and the RAVENS!

Nice looking woman you've got there, Mobtown! Well played!