Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Billick:6th man needed

I think it's time for a refresher on how to make the most noise. Believe it or not, you can do it and still keep a semblance of a voice after 3 hours.

First, since we by and large have concrete stands and not steel like Denver, stomping on the ground does little besides leave you sore.

Many people like to clap hands. If you do this, you can't wear gloves! But it's looking like Sunday will be warm enough that you won't need 'em. Anyway, to generate the highest quality percussion from your hands, two things must happen: You need to keep your fingers closed and you must slightly cup the lower hand. When striking the hand, only the top knuckle of your upper hand's middle finger should extend past the lower hand's palm. Of course, you must strike the hand sufficiently hard so that you get a low, piercing sound. No wimpy golf clap here, folks.

Or, you can use your voice. My preferred method is the low hum. Many people scream while the Ravens are on D, but a scream is a high-pitched shrill that has a short wavelength that doesn't carry that well. It also is unsustainable because it hurts the vocal chords. Instead, take a deep breath and bellow "UUUUUUUHHHHHH" as loud as you can at the lowest frequency you can. You may need to adjust your tone on the fly, but you'll soon find an optimal tone that allows a sustained yell that really doesn't hurt your vocal chords. The low frequency also travels further. At the same time, hold your hands against your face at a 45 degree angle, this serves to direct the sound in the preferred direction.

Now that you have the proper mechanics down, know when to use them! Start your sequence as soon as the opponent's offensive huddle forms, and don't stop until the QB hands off or drops back (except to reload, for those of you with limited air capacity). Depending on the game situation, I do this on all downs - not just 3rd.

Enjoy the game, and help give Coach Billick the homefield advantage he needs!

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Those instructions should be handed out as people file in.

I had singing and vocal lessons in HS, and my dad just shakes his head and laughs when I used what I learned to bellow at football games. Beating on the seat in front of you with a water bottle or PLASTIC beer bottle make a lot of noise too. I think STFU Offense is at work should be on the scoreboard when Ravens O is on the field!

"I think STFU Offense is at work should be on the scoreboard when Ravens O is on the field!"

Can you imagine . . . . people would have a cow
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I think it's time for a refresher on how to make the most noise. Believe it or not, you can do it and still keep a semblance of a voice after 3 hours.

First, since we by and large have concrete stands and not steel like Denver, stomping on the ground does little besides leave you sore.

Many people like to clap hands. If you do this, you can't wear gloves! But it's looking like Sunday will be warm enough that you won't need 'em. Anyway, to generate the highest quality percussion from your hands, two things must happen: You need to keep your fingers closed and you must slightly cup the lower hand. When striking the hand, only the top knuckle of your upper hand's middle finger should extend past the lower hand's palm. Of course, you must strike the hand sufficiently hard so that you get a low, piercing sound. No wimpy golf clap here, folks.

Or, you can use your voice. My preferred method is the low hum. Many people scream while the Ravens are on D, but a scream is a high-pitched shrill that has a short wavelength that doesn't carry that well. It also is unsustainable because it hurts the vocal chords. Instead, take a deep breath and bellow "UUUUUUUHHHHHH" as loud as you can at the lowest frequency you can. You may need to adjust your tone on the fly, but you'll soon find an optimal tone that allows a sustained yell that really doesn't hurt your vocal chords. The low frequency also travels further. At the same time, hold your hands against your face at a 45 degree angle, this serves to direct the sound in the preferred direction.

Now that you have the proper mechanics down, know when to use them! Start your sequence as soon as the opponent's offensive huddle forms, and don't stop until the QB hands off or drops back (except to reload, for those of you with limited air capacity). Depending on the game situation, I do this on all downs - not just 3rd.

Enjoy the game, and help give Coach Billick the homefield advantage he needs!
    I've been on the internet for roughly 10 years now and that is the first time I've ever come across instructions on how to scream.
    This is a novel I was asked to proofread. The author is giving 10% of the profits to kidney research, which is a big deal in the Darb household. Fair warning; it's a fantasy novel, and the main characters are lesbians. It's three bucks on kindle from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/WINDOWS-BROKEN...ken+fairy+tale

Holy Batdroppings Camden! That is the most awesome fan directory I have ever seen or heard. And accurate! You can go the entire game by doing that and still have plenty left for the 4th Qtr. Also stressing the importance of making noise while the opponent is IN THE HUDDLE.

This should be posted and locked on every Ravens fan site available.
    SS

Please guys - I am 3,000 miles away. I get to go to a game once every two years. Please make it loud for my sake!!!

Its hard sitting in front of a computer screen every sunday when you know where I would rather be. Don't take for granted what we had to wait for so long to get.

Thumbs up Re: Billick:6th man needed

Excellent instructions camdenyard!

The yelling method, through trial and error, I arrived at on my own. It took me years to refine my technique, but it's virtually identical to yours! I posted a crude version of this on YBR 3 or 4 years ago, but your instructions are far superior. I wish someone had taught me this a long time ago.
    My preferred method is the low hum. Many people scream while the Ravens are on D, but a scream is a high-pitched shrill that has a short wavelength that doesn't carry that well. It also is unsustainable because it hurts the vocal chords. Instead, take a deep breath and bellow "UUUUUUUHHHHHH" as loud as you can at the lowest frequency you can. You may need to adjust your tone on the fly, but you'll soon find an optimal tone that allows a sustained yell that really doesn't hurt your vocal chords. The low frequency also travels further. At the same time, hold your hands against your face at a 45 degree angle, this serves to direct the sound in the preferred direction.
    I think of it as doing my best to imitate a sub-woofer speaker.

As for your clapping instructions, you added some advice I didn't know.
    Anyway, to generate the highest quality percussion from your hands, two things must happen: You need to keep your fingers closed and you must slightly cup the lower hand. When striking the hand, only the top knuckle of your upper hand's middle finger should extend past the lower hand's palm. Of course, you must strike the hand sufficiently hard so that you get a low, piercing sound.
    Although I've been using cupped hands, I had never tried your precise technique. I just sat here in front of the computer and tried out what you described, and compared it to what I had been doing. Your technique is far louder than mine. You win, hands-down! (Pun intended, sorry.)
    Thanks camdenyard, you got this noise thing down to a science!

Sitting here practicing clapping brought my dogs running wondering what in the world I was up to. Not long after, here comes the wife: "I'm pretty sure I'll regret this, but what the hell are you doing?" When I told her, she didn't say a word, just shook her head and walked away!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

When I told her, she didn't say a word, just shook her head and walked away!
    That's how most every conversation I have with Amy ends. Isn't that normal?