Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    786

    Rookie Coach and Clock management



    For the second straight game, there are times when Harbs looks lost on the sideline...almost as if he is a coordinator waiting for the Head coach to make a decision.

    Before half time when we were moving the ball, why didn't we spike the ball to kill the clock? Instead we miss a 45yd FG with 10 seconds and no time outs. If i remember correct, a similar situation took place at PIT.

    For some reason I don't think they are letting Flacco run a two minute offense. Yes he is a rookie and will make mistakes, but be a little more aggressive please.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    1,146

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    On the second missed FG drive, (in the 4th quarter I believe), we had them on their heels, moving downfield, passing & running at will. The clock is running & running. Then w/ about 7/8 min to go, we don't get out of the huddle/to the line quickly & Flacco calls a TO. After that we lost the momentum the drive had & then Stover missed his 2nd FG. OF only we could have kept that drive going & not called that TO, I believe we would have scored a TD.


    My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

    Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!




  3. #3

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    On the second missed FG drive, (in the 4th quarter I believe), we had them on their heels, moving downfield, passing & running at will. The clock is running & running. Then w/ about 7/8 min to go, we don't get out of the huddle/to the line quickly & Flacco calls a TO. After that we lost the momentum the drive had & then Stover missed his 2nd FG. OF only we could have kept that drive going & not called that TO, I believe we would have scored a TD.
    I believe you are correct, sir! I said at the time... The Titans defense was standing around with their hands on their hips, gasping for breath, and we let'm off the hook!!!!That timeout killed that drive!!!!




  4. #4

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    The clock issues hurt us, but I do not think it was on the HC. It happens. I would put the clock management issues on the list of things to work on, but near the bottom. Overall I feel like they are on top of that much more than anytime under Billick.




  5. #5

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    The clock issues hurt us, but I do not think it was on the HC. It happens. I would put the clock management issues on the list of things to work on, but near the bottom. Overall I feel like they are on top of that much more than anytime under Billick.
    Nope. I'm not buying it. And while I certainly respect your opinion, you seem to be letting Harbs off the hook, when in fact he should be even more cognizant of the clock, given the knocks Billick took over it.

    I feel helpless as a fan sometimes this season, especially when we waste time outs and stop our OWN MOMENTUM.

    Coach Harbaugh needs to understand that those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

    Hell, I'm still literally seething over the lack of a challenge on Derrick Mason's TD catch at Pissburgh!!

    UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!




  6. #6

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Nope. I'm not buying it. And while I certainly respect your opinion, you seem to be letting Harbs off the hook, when in fact he should be even more cognizant of the clock, given the knocks Billick took over it.

    I feel helpless as a fan sometimes this season, especially when we waste time outs and stop our OWN MOMENTUM.

    Coach Harbaugh needs to understand that those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

    Hell, I'm still literally seething over the lack of a challenge on Derrick Mason's TD catch at Pissburgh!!
    I feel your pain, I just don't sweat it. With Billick it was year after year. So far I am still in the Harbs has a halo camp. I just love the guy. I still really love Billick, but was sick of him. He made some mistakes, but I think he is doing a great job overall. He has not had to make many tough calls so far and he is leaning a little too conservative for my taste, but we will see. I wanted to see how he handled the Qb situation without injury and illness making the call for him.
    The Mason call was clearly blown, but that is as much on Mason and the coaches upstairs as the guy with the flag, or the ref that made the wrong call in the first place. If Mason made an argument harbs may have thrown it, but even he thought he was out at first.




  7. #7

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Nope. I'm not buying it. And while I certainly respect your opinion, you seem to be letting Harbs off the hook, when in fact he should be even more cognizant of the clock, given the knocks Billick took over it.

    I feel helpless as a fan sometimes this season, especially when we waste time outs and stop our OWN MOMENTUM.

    Coach Harbaugh needs to understand that those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

    Hell, I'm still literally seething over the lack of a challenge on Derrick Mason's TD catch at Pissburgh!!
    Exactly.

    I can just imagine the meltdown on this board if Billick didn't challenge that Mason TD or was responsible for that terrible clock manangement on Sunday. Or the lack of aggression at the end of regulation in Pitt. Or the boneheaded penalties (disregarding the bad Suggs call) that we've seen so far.

    And before the resident bashers jump up and down, realize this. I like Harbaugh. I think he's gotten the best out of this group so far. All of the coaches are working with what they've got. Period.

    The fact is that mistakes are made by coaches all the time. It's naive to think that's not the case.

    PP




  8. #8

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Oh I do love Harbs...It's just that I really HATE it when we help bring about our own demise and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

    Harbaugh is the man in my book (As Billick will always be in my mind), but I'm gonna hold him to a certain standard, especially since the execution of his duties don't really require any extraordinary physical ability to accomplish.

    Throw the flag, get the plays in on time, make sure we're resembling an NFL-caliber football team.

    UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!




  9. #9

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    Oh I do love Harbs...I

    Harbaugh is the man in my book.
    Just curious, why is Harbs the man in your book? Just want to find out what I am missing here.




  10. #10

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    wasn't this guy hired to help the coaches w/ clock management, replays/challenges etc?



    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/Peopl...ic_Fangio.aspx




  11. #11

    Thumbs down Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Not spiking the ball and not challenging Mason's TD catch were coaching errors as bad as anything we saw under Billick. Cost us a win against the Steelers and an OT against the Titans.

    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  12. #12

    Re: Rookie Coach and Clock management

    Quote Originally Posted by RavinDonnie View Post
    Just curious, why is Harbs the man in your book? Just want to find out what I am missing here.
    I like his demeanor and the hardnose attitude he brings to the table. He's going through his growing pains right now (and I've taken him to task for it the past 2 weeks in my "Heroes and Goats" threads), but I really feel good about his ability to lead men. His declaration that he will build a DYNASTY in Baltimore, while bold and perhaps ill-advised, made the hairs on my forearm stand on end!

    UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland