Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: assistants on the defensive side of the ball

Since I first asked the question I've come to the opinion that Ryan is not leaving. I hope he has enough sense not to go to OAK or ARI as I've said, and I also think ATL would be a similar 'trap' situation for a new HC.

PIT does appear to be hiring from within, as guessed earlier, which leaves only MIA.

That search process is already underway and with all the qualified candidates whose season has already ended, I would be surprised if they waited for the availability of Ryan, who will be unable to participate in the process until after the Ravens win the SuperBowl.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I agree with you festivus as far as the spots open now. However I still think the Giants & Browns position could still open up and see those as the 2 most likely places he could go. Hopefully he stays though.

I would have thought the Browns would have acted already, so they could get interviews in with the top candidates willing to interview with the lousy franchises. I don't envy those guys. . .

I wonder if the Giants will fire Coughlin if they win a game or two. I'm not sure I would want my first HC job to be in NYC, but now I might be starting to wear those purple eyeglasses. You're probably right about NYC being the most likely destination.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

From http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm :

POSTED 10:47 p.m. EST, January 5, 2007

FIVE VACANCIES, FIVE PREDICTIONS

With the Steelers, Falcons, Dolphins, Raiders, and Cardinals looking for new head coaches, here's our initial attempt at guessing who'll get which gig.

Steelers: Offensive line coach Russ Grimm is the in-house favorite, and his Pittsburgh roots make him an ever stronger candidate. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt could be undermined by the fact that two of his predecessors under Bill Cowher -- Mike Mularkey and Chan Gailey -- flamed out as NFL head coaches.

Falcons: What's the best way to use Mike Vick? Maybe the answer is giving him a dominant defense. That's why Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin is our prediction. The fact that Tomlin is from the same neck of the woods as running back Mike Vick is a big plus. Bill Cowher is also a possibility, since he was able to win with Kordell Stewart. (Kudos to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press for pointing out these factors earlier in the week.)

Dolphins: Coach Chin. We can feel it coming. (And a big plus for Cowher's move to Miami would be that the climate isn't conducive to the ugly-ass sweater he wore on Friday to announce his resignation.)

Raiders: Denny Green wants the job that no one else does.

Cardinals: How about Jim Mora Jr? He can be paid less money, since Falcons owner Arthur Blank is on the hook for the difference between what Mora will earn in football and what he was scheduled to make in Atlanta. For the next three years. That's a big plus for the penny-squeezing Bidwills, who also are less likely to realize the serious judgment flaw that Mora's much-publicized radio comments revealed. And Mora's desire to get back on the horse will make him more likely to accept whatever terms the Bidwills impose, including having seven of Denny Green's assistant coaches foisted on him.

POSTED 10:17 p.m. EST; UPDATED 10:25 p.m. EST, January 5, 2007

COUGHLIN DONE IF HE LOSES

In a move that will surprise no one, the consensus in league circles is that Giants coach Tom Coughlin will be out of a job if his team loses on Sunday at Philly.

If the Giants win, the chances of Coughlin returning are 50-50 at best.

We've previously heard that Coughlin is done no matter what happens in the postseason, but that's not realistic. If they win (as we think they can) against the Eagles and if they prevail (as we think they might) over the Bears, Coughlin will have made a compelling argument in support of sticking around.

But will it be enough to get an extension? Absent a Super Bowl appearance, we think it's more likely that Coughlin would be brought back as a lame duck in the final year of his deal, like Mike Tice in Minnesota two seasons ago.
    Festivus