Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Nfl Backs Up Bad Call To Give Steelers Win And Division Title

every sports show I have seen on t.v. or heard on the radio has consistently said there was not enough evidence in the replay to overturn the call on the field. If it was called a touchdown on the field, there likewise would not have been enough evidence to overturn it as well. It seems that most everyone agrees the call should have stood as it was on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    every sports show I have seen on t.v. or heard on the radio has consistently said there was not enough evidence in the replay to overturn the call on the field. If it was called a touchdown on the field, there likewise would not have been enough evidence to overturn it as well. It seems that most everyone agrees the call should have stood as it was on the field.
    You're correct. I was only arguing the rules as they apply to TD's and not the replay standard. Maybe I should not have said it was a correct call. Rather, it was a TD and the call got muffed.

Again, the finer point is having a team that does not put themselves in situations where one call determines the outcome of the game. IMO, that's the standard to which we should be striving.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Again, you're applying a rushing TD standard to a receiving TD standard.

The way I read the rule is that if you're rushing with the ball, all the ball has to do is break the plane of the goal line. If it's a receiving TD, ball has to be in control, with two feet in bounds.

Either way, the larger picture is allowing them to march 92 yards down field.
    No. The ball must break the plane.

The rule works like this: The ball must break that plane and (if the player is in the air, some part of) the player must be in-bounds.

There are several larger pictures. One large picture is the Ravens defense gave up a third game-winning final drive this season. Just bizarre. A different large picture is that Walt Coleman has been an atrocious official for *years* and yet is still permitted to step on a field and urinate all over an otherwise quality game every Sunday. Two closely matched teams, a pair of obviously blown calls *do* make a difference, so I dare to call that also a "larger picture," though of a different kind.

Looking forward to Saturday night, it should be a good game, now with heightened importance. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Didn't mean to bring up an argument. Like it's been said countless times the past 36 hrs, the bottom line is the D let them march 92 yds in the first place (that, and the O couldn't punch it in the endzone all day). Anyway, just like the team, we all need to move on and take this loss. Let's all agree not to complain about the officiating, conspiracy theories, favoritism, etc. All sights set on Dallas. Let's rock n roll.

Agreed.

I'm done wondering the "what if's" of the TD call. I need to start finding a hotel near TX Stadium!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

people it was the correct call.

Look, when a receiver catches the ball on the side or back of the goal, it still counts even when the ball does not ever truly cross the goal line in the players possession.
    You are the one who is wrong.

It still CROSS THE PLANE OF THE GOAL LINE even if the ball is outside the sideline and the player's feet are in-bounds. In other words, the plane of the goal extends upward and sideward (and technically downward) infinitely. So if a thrown pass is caught one half yard deep in the endzone but it pass outside the pylon it still breaks the plane of the goal. And "plane of the goal" is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd christmas View Post
    Didn't mean to bring up an argument. Like it's been said countless times the past 36 hrs, the bottom line is the D let them march 92 yds in the first place (that, and the O couldn't punch it in the endzone all day). Anyway, just like the team, we all need to move on and take this loss. Let's all agree not to complain about the officiating, conspiracy theories, favoritism, etc. All sights set on Dallas. Let's rock n roll.
    Meh. I'm all about looking forward and getting excited about Dallas, but this is a thread about blatantly bad officiating in the *last* game, and we as fans are entitled. Hell, we're entitled to complain about officiating even when we're *wrong*, which in this case, we're not.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

One of the great things about football is that every single play can be the one that matters most, and anyone on the field and even a coach can be the guy who made the most difference. The officials made way too much impact on the outcome of the game. Every close call, every close spot of the ball, every replay went the other way. It all adds up when you lose by an inch and they stole 5 yards.

Maybe one day we will get the elite team treatment from the refs, but the way Walt shrugged off Harbs in the tv close up said it all. How can you make that call? F you buddy, that is how.

I am not really as mad about this one as I was at the Malice in the heart game or week 13 last year, where we just got abused all night long 13-4 in penalties when they were pushing off and blocking in the back all night long, and only got flagged for flinching, and it actually kept them from losing once.

Walt is on the list right after Mike Carey, but I think we are really coming off as sympathetic and the victim in the national media instead of whiners because of how Harbs has handled himself and the team. In the long run, I am just going to have to hope things balance out and we get another shot at the Steelers with no Mike Carey or Walt Coleman in the stadium unless they are part of the concrete foundation.

the ball has to cross the goaline, which it did not....b.s. call, b.s. overturn, but none the less it didn't cost us the game....allowing 7 first downs on the final drive when we only allowed 6 all game is what cost us.....but one thing i noticed re-watching the game last night, is check out the spot that hines ward got down around the 5 or 6 yd line on their final first down, looked to me he was well short of the first, but the refs moved the chains without measurement...

Again !! I am over this game .. 100% clean slate ..

2 Wins and In ... then get even in the Playoffs !!

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 9 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Jesus people it was the correct call.

Look, when a receiver catches the ball on the side or back of the goal, it still counts even when the ball does not ever truly cross the goal line in the players possession.

Same applies with the front of the goal. We would want the same call 100 times out of 100.

You're all arguing as if it was a rushing TD where the ball does indeed have to cross the plane.
    Look how many TD's are called when a "receiver" catches the ball "with both feet down" in the back corner of the endzone. His feet are in and the ball is out of bounds. Same call... a TD.
    The rules for a runner advancing the ball from the "field of play" into the endzone and a "receiver making a legal catch in the endzone" are different. Remember after a receiver makes a legal catch on the field of play and steps forward to advance the ball, he is now a "runner". Coaches of all people should be familiar with the rules too.
    It's a tough way to see your team get scored on but the bottom line is the refs made the right call. Even if they got it wrong and the Steelers either went for it on 4th down or kicked the tying FG. To allow the Steelers the opportunities to drive the ball 92 yards like that exposed the Ravens defense. The ensuing kickoff only gave Pittsburgh an opportunity to intercept a pass and who knows, that may have been returned for 6 points. In an O/T period, the Steelers may have done the same thing who knows?

There was someone on NFL Network this morning (a former NFL ref who's name escapes me) who said the same -- that pass on the goal line can be looked at as if is on the side or back of the end zone.