Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One and done

Re: One and done

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Skay, I don't follow your call for an O-line upgrade. Our O-line is vastly improved from a year ago, and has good young depth behind a group of established veterans. I can see asking for Brown and Chester to overtake Mulitalo and Vincent (or maybe Flynn), but there's no reason to go pay big money to a star OL...
    That's what I'm talking about -- exactly what you said. Along with grabbing a top-tier running back. And devising better blocking schemes for the running game; the pass pro seemed decent. I think if we do that, we'll do well in the AFC North again. We might as well gear up for BB's style, since it's unlikely to change that much.

GO RAVENS!!!

Tex, I noticed you still haven't answered my question.

One other thing I want to point out. Tex and a few others have harped on how the Colts had the #2 ranked secondary. That's a bit, well more than a bit, deceiving. That ranking is by yards and since the run defense was so bad many teams just ran the ball down their throats.

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    Tex, I noticed you still haven't answered my question.
    Tex doesn't really answer questions that require thought (unless it's a question that can be answered with "Boller sucks").

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    Or could it be their pass defense is so damn tough you have to run against them to have any chance to beat them. What teams quarterbacks had great games against the Colts passing wise this season. I didn't look it up, but I have a feeling not too many!

Only in your dreams. No NFL coach is going to pass much when he can rack up 5+ yards a carry and break off TD runs at will. See the last JAX game. With every post you display you know less and less about the game.

Still waiting for you to answer my question, Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by FHRaven View Post
    No NFL coach is going to pass much when he can rack up 5+ yards a carry and break off TD runs at will.
    Hmmmmm...so what you're saying is that Brian Billick (who, after a successful first half of running against Indy, decided to pass instead for the second half) isn't really an NFL coach? Cool...cause that's EXACTLY what I've been trying all day to teach these homers. But you just did it a LOT better than I was able to. THANKS!

GO RAVENS!!!

What the hell is a matter with some of you?

FH is right. The reason the Colts pass defense is so "strong" is because teams are running more than they are passing on them. There have only been 415 passing attempts against the Colts defense this season--second least in the NFL. The "best" passing defense in the NFL is supposedly the Oakland Raiders, with only 410 attempts.

Now, there have been 519 rushing attempts against the Colts (2nd most in the NFL) and 542 against Oakland (most in the NFL). See a pattern?

Same goes for when Boller lit up GB last year. GB supposedly had the best pass defense in the NFL, but the fact of the matter is that teams consistently ran on them either because (a) the could and/or (b) because they got an early lead. But, you don't see Tex giving Boller the benefit of the doubt like he is to McNair.

Hmmmmm...so what you're saying is that Brian Billick (who, after a successful first half of running against Indy, decided to pass instead for the second half) isn't really an NFL coach? Cool...cause that's EXACTLY what I've been trying all day to teach these homers. But you just did it a LOT better than I was able to. THANKS!
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Billick isn't a real NFL coach, he's just a guy that makes questionable calls from time to time. Running the clock out with a minute left and two timeouts is one of them.

As it turns out, Billick's gameplan against the Colts was pretty ridiculous. Jamal (for once) was running the ball very well against the Colts; yet, with the game STILL in reach, Billick decides to stop running the fucking ball against the worst run defense in the NFL. The Ravens have a good record when Jamal has over 20 attempts a game, but our HC thought that it would be more effective to continue on with a passing game that wasn't working all day.

I think most of us can agree that Billick's biggest problem is his inability to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by LBoogy View Post
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Billick isn't a real NFL coach, he's just a guy that makes questionable calls from time to time.
    I know. It was

And no, he's not "just a guy who makes questionable calls from time to time. He's a HEAD COACH in the NFL who gets paid a LOT OF MONEY and who CONSISTENTLY makes BONEHEAD CALLS, and almost NEVER takes responsibility for them. There's a difference between "just a guy" and BB.

GO RAVENS!!!

Consistently makes boneheaded calls?

What do you attribute to being 13-3?

Consistently makes boneheaded calls?
    Getting nailed with a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty; NOT going for a simple, straight forward field goal against Cinci at home; wasting time in SEVERAL games right before the end of the half; general ineptitude running a 2 minute drill; total lack of prep for the Cinci game at Cinci; mismanagement of Mike Anderson; inability to respond in REAL TIME during games; and, of course, our gorgeous display of offensive genius: the Divisional game against Indy

What do you attribute to being 13-3?
    Rex Ryan and our entire #1 D, along with Steve McNair & Co.

I think the key word here is "consistently". Billick is not "consistently" making bad calls. You don't take over OC duties midseason, take your team to 13-3, all while making "consistently bad calls" along the way. It doesn't work that way. He improved our pass offense to 11th in the league.

Rex Ryan is a huge part of making our defense the best, but is it a coincidence that we've had a great group of coaches and defensive minds under Billick? Billick is a great manager of people. He may make bad calls from time to time, but he generally does a good job at what he does.

I think the gameplan for the Colts game was awful, and I think BB's stubborness to adjust mid-game and bench players is a bit annoying to say the least. It seems that a lot of times he'll try to be either "too cute", or will be incredibly predictable. Although, despite his flaws, he's still a great coach. It seems that people like you will give him none of the credit and all of the blame.

My biggest problem with Billick is his clock management, but I can take the rest of his mistakes in stride.

He's a good coach, and I really don't know who would be a better alternative. We just need a better OC.

is it a coincidence that we've had a great group of coaches and defensive minds under Billick?
    No it is not, LBoogy with the excellent avatar, as I demonstrate in this thread.

In all seriousness we have always had, since Billick has been here, an excellent defense. Some would give all the credit to the string of defensive coordinators and their assistants who have paraded through here, but those people have had at best mixed success coaching defenses before and after their stints with the Ravens.

Either (a) Billick is secretly coaching the defense, which I doubt, or (b) he is bringing the very best out in his staff. I am inclined to believe (b), because we see the same pattern with players. Anyone remember Qadry Ismail? Marcus Robinson? Ed Hartwell? Duane Starks? There is a looong list of players who played at the highest levels of their careers here, before or after being unimpressive with other teams.

Leon Searcy excepted, of course. . .
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.