Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Former home of Ravens Training Camp - Westminster, MD.

Re: Where we stand...

LOL...it's all good. I understand the thread but disagreed with what I thought where the poster was going. I'm not looking past Denver...1 game at a time and see how it plans out.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'll defend this thread...we're going into a bye this week. Now is the best time to consider what we need to do to finish off the season.

Granted, I'm not trying to project the playoffs, but we also need to look at the way our division opponents are playing and try to get this team playing to their level of competition...OVER their level of competition.

Inevitably, you have to take stock of where you are at your bye week. From here on out, there's no more breaks until the playoffs...And then, it's either you have a break because you're #1 or 2, you have no break because you're playing a playoff game, or you have a break...for 7 months because your season is over.

So I would agree with this thread more as a "state of the season" evaluation.

Good point. But looking around at the competition in the AFC could have the reverse affect. Panick. I dont believe thats what will happen.

Its easy to just worry about what you can control. Your play on the field. Look only to the next opponent. Take care of business first then look around the AFC and see where you stand.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker

This game actually reminds me a lot of the Colts game last year. Closing in on mid-season, we were a mediocre to bad looking team that got absolutely blown out by a very good team. First half was about as bad as it could get. But then a light went on for Flacco and he turned it around the second half.

The primary difference is that we're 3-3 now, and we were closer to winning this game than the Colts game. On top of that, we had our bye burned week 2 as opposed to week 7.

There is no "must win" game on the schedule left for us right now. 11-5 is highly likely to be good enough to get in, if not win the division. This team showed incredible moxy down the stretch of this game. And more importantly, when down 17 points in the 4th quarter against a team that was KILLING us, nobody quit. And save for 2 plays (the Peterson run and the Rice catch), everyone buckled down and played extremely well to allow us to get back into it.

We're a very good team that has just lost three VERY close games to three VERY good teams. Our schedule isn't easy, but it's not much if any harder than it is for the rest of the division.

We're not at all in terrible shape.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

I also think, after this game...

- Hauschka MAKES that kick
    - Our offense gets rolling earlier on
    - Our defense does a better job of defending the run (This was hands down the BEST RB we're facing the rest of the year, probably best running team actually)

And we saw some definite highlights from this game...

- Our DL pressure FINALLY started getting to Favre, and noticeably, that was when he had trouble hitting his WRs
    - Good blend of running and passing in the second half, which was what really broke open our offense
    - OL, playing without Gaither, held the fearsome Jared Allen to just one sack, with 3 sacks total by the Vikings.

So give Gaither an extra week to heal up, give us an extra week to put our corners through the ringer to try and correct the mistakes, give our whole D another week to gel, give Webb another week of practice to cement his place in the return game...

I think we come back from the bye in good shape to make a run. We just need to play like we did in the 2nd half of the game right out the gate.
    FOR REED, BIRK, BOLDIN, RAY, ART, TEVIN, OJ, and BALTIMORE...
    SUPER BOWL 47 CHAMPION RAVENS!!!!!!

"We don't make it easy, but that's the way the city of Baltimore is, and that's the way we are. We did this for them back home." - Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    Although I will say the Broncos game is a flat out must win.
    No doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    This game actually reminds me a lot of the Colts game last year. Closing in on mid-season, we were a mediocre to bad looking team that got absolutely blown out by a very good team. First half was about as bad as it could get. But then a light went on for Flacco and he turned it around the second half.

The primary difference is that we're 3-3 now, and we were closer to winning this game than the Colts game. On top of that, we had our bye burned week 2 as opposed to week 7.

There is no "must win" game on the schedule left for us right now. 11-5 is highly likely to be good enough to get in, if not win the division. This team showed incredible moxy down the stretch of this game. And more importantly, when down 17 points in the 4th quarter against a team that was KILLING us, nobody quit. And save for 2 plays (the Peterson run and the Rice catch), everyone buckled down and played extremely well to allow us to get back into it.

We're a very good team that has just lost three VERY close games to three VERY good teams. Our schedule isn't easy, but it's not much if any harder than it is for the rest of the division.

- C -
    Like you say, we're pretty much in the same place we were last year, except our offense is keeping games closer. This game made me realize that the Ravens will never be a defensive team again. The fearsome play of the offense is what's keeping us in games. Flacco is starting to dominate, Ray Rice might be the next LT, and our OL is looking solid. I still think the Ravens are in good shape for this year, even better than what they were last year. I think we use the bye to gather our wits and start to win games. A wildcard is a definite possibility, just take it one game at a time.

As it turns out, the Ravens are playing one of the most difficult schedules of the season this year. 3-3 is nothing to be ashamed of. While other teams fatten up their records on the dregs of the league, we're sharpening our teeth on actual football competition. Let it show in the next half of the season and, hopefully, the playoffs.
    Last edited by willy72480; 10-18-2009 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    I think we're in worse shape than the 3-3 record though. I think one of the issues with the team right now is that it's not about Joe Flacco having to flip on his switch. This right now is about MULTIPLE people on the defense that are going to have to flip switches at the same time. 2 CB's, a safety (maybe 2), and a 65 million dollar LB/DE.

The offense is not my concern at the moment, which is the strangest comment I've made in the last 5 years about this team.

As for the "must wins", at this point we must win 7 games to even THINK about the playoffs. That puts our margin of error now at 3 games. We now can lose no more than 3 games to get to 10. And unless 10 gets us the division, that may not be enough. So to get to 11 our margin of error is 2 games.

Here are the rest of our games:
    Denver
    @Cin
    @Cle
    Indy
    Pittsburgh
    Green Bay
    Detroit
    Chicago
    @Pittsburgh
    Oakland

Now I still have Cleveland, Detroit, and Oakland as absolute wins. No doubts there.

So from there we need 4 more to get to 10, 5 more to get to 11.

I'm having a much harder time after this game finding these wins unless the entire defense somehow finds their footing and becomes dominant again. What are the 5 you have?

I won't at all disparage the heart of this team. The offense made their statement today that they aren't rolling over for anyone. And I don't believe for a minute that the defense is not trying, or not playing hard. But they just don't have the talent anymore, and that is something that we may have to deal with until these latest batch of guys like Kruger, Ellerbe, Webb, and Talavou develop into starters. Not to mention one of the safeties Nakamura and Zbikowski, who right now aren't good enough to take Landry's job.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Denver
    @Cin
    @Cle
    Indy
    Pittsburgh
    Green Bay
    Detroit
    Chicago
    @Pittsburgh
    Oakland

Now I still have Cleveland, Detroit, and Oakland as absolute wins. No doubts there.

I'm having a much harder time after this game finding these wins unless the entire defense somehow finds their footing and becomes dominant again. What are the 5 you have?
    I think we can beat Green Bay, split with Pittsburgh, with their injuries we'll beat Cincy and after watching them tonight Bears. Thats 4. Cant really see anymore than that.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker

I think we're in worse shape than the 3-3 record though. I think one of the issues with the team right now is that it's not about Joe Flacco having to flip on his switch. This right now is about MULTIPLE people on the defense that are going to have to flip switches at the same time. 2 CB's, a safety (maybe 2), and a 65 million dollar LB/DE.

The offense is not my concern at the moment, which is the strangest comment I've made in the last 5 years about this team.

As for the "must wins", at this point we must win 7 games to even THINK about the playoffs. That puts our margin of error now at 3 games. We now can lose no more than 3 games to get to 10. And unless 10 gets us the division, that may not be enough. So to get to 11 our margin of error is 2 games.

Here are the rest of our games:
    Denver
    @Cin
    @Cle
    Indy
    Pittsburgh
    Green Bay
    Detroit
    Chicago
    @Pittsburgh
    Oakland

I won't at all disparage the heart of this team. The offense made their statement today that they aren't rolling over for anyone. And I don't believe for a minute that the defense is not trying, or not playing hard. But they just don't have the talent anymore, and that is something that we may have to deal with until these latest batch of guys like Kruger, Ellerbe, Webb, and Talavou develop into starters. Not to mention one of the safeties Nakamura and Zbikowski, who right now aren't good enough to take Landry's job.
    Obviously I'm just speculating, but Denver, Cincy, Pittsburgh, Green Bay and Chicago could all be wins. Indy is the only team that might be totally dominant over us. Otherwise, we have a great chance of winning our way into the postseason.

If we had been blown out in our 3 losses, then I might be worried. But as of now, we've come close to winning games against quality opponents without the entire team playing its best football. I'd rather the Ravens play better down the stretch than in the early part of the season.

Now we just have to hope the Ravens can fulfill their potential in the remaining games (and I think it's fair to say the Ravens have enormous potential this season, especially on offense). The defense obviously plays better with the lead. Whether the team can pull it all together this year or the next remains to be seen.
    Last edited by willy72480; 10-18-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I think we can beat Green Bay, split with Pittsburgh, with their injuries we'll beat Cincy and after watching them tonight Bears. Thats 4. Cant really see anymore than that.
    Yeah, the injuries to Cincy make me feel better about that game. The defense is what I am worried about.

I don't think our current defense gets us wins against Green Bay and Pittsburgh. The Green Bay offense has been lights out this year.

I think it starts with us absolutely having to beat Denver. I think a loss to Denver just about does it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by willy72480 View Post
    If we had been blown out in our 3 losses, then I might be worried. But as of now, we've come close to winning games against quality opponents without the entire team playing its best football. I'd rather the Ravens play better down the stretch than in the early part of the season.
    The question though, is this defense playing at it's best? I think the talent on the team just isn't what it used to be. When your starting CB gets benched in favor of Frank Walker, you have to wonder.

The question though, is this defense playing at it's best? I think the talent on the team just isn't what it used to be. When your starting CB gets benched in favor of Frank Walker, you have to wonder.
    I can't deny what you're saying. The defense is very troublesome at this point. I'm no expert, but it seems like the safeties are killing the team with their lack of discipline in coverage. The defensive ends and linebackers aren't helping either with their non-existent pass rush. Hopefully the offense puts more points on the board in the beginning of the remaining games and gives the defense a lead to play with. I think that's the only way the Ravens pull it together for the playoffs.

Otherwise, we'll have to wait for next year. But even then, I wouldn't be totally disappointed. The Ravens seem to be a team primed for success in the immediate future. The improvement of the offense from last year to this is truly remarkable.