Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 28
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Owings Mills
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer



    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Seriously. What the hell is happening to our forum?
    I assume some sort of collective brain tumor. Or possibly you've died and this is hell.

    I personally am leaning towards the latter.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis




  2. #14

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    I posted a similar message complaining about the Raven's treatment of Trent Dilfer last January: in this thread. Whether or not there is a "curse of Trent Dilfer", Marcoted is not alone in arguing that Dilfer was mistreated.




  3. #15

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    Quote Originally Posted by rbnn View Post
    I posted a similar message complaining about the Raven's treatment of Trent Dilfer last January: in this thread. Whether or not there is a "curse of Trent Dilfer", Marcoted is not alone in arguing that Dilfer was mistreated.
    There were alot of people who thought the world was flat too.




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    12,919
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    The point is not about whether Dilfer was mistreated...everyone in the Ravens fandom knows dumping Dilfer for Grbac was a bad move...It made sense at the time though, Grbac was coming off of a Pro Bowl year in KC and looked like a guy who'd be able to sling the ball. Meanwhile, Dilfer was a loveable guy, but he wasn't an elite QB. Our gameplan that made him look so good was protect the ball, run the ball, and play lights out defense. Billick and Ozzie felt we needed to upgrade at QB in order to get another SB.

    But to say we are "cursed" because of Dilfer...that's like saying the Patriots are cursed because of losing Vinatieri, since they haven't won a SB since he left. It's just coincidence.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  5. #17

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    This looks like one of the threads over on the Sun's forums.

    Seriously...there is a thread about who you'd rather have as coach...Rex or Harbs and Rex was running away with it last time I looked lol.

    I think some are migrating over here...no other way to explain some of these retarded threads.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hamilton/Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,060

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    And in defense of Grbac, he had the misfortune of having our only running threat go down for the season during training camp, relying on names like Terry Allen, Jason Brookins, and Moe Williams. This meant we had no running game, so opposing defenses could concentrate more on defending the pass, rendering Grbac pretty useless.

    I don't know why I keep responding to this thread. Retarded is a good word to describe this thread.




  7. #19

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    The Ravens will not win another Super bowl because of the curse of Trent Dilfer. Look how long it took Boston to overcome that curse of the Babe .
    Trent, how are you?

    You should feel lucky you got a ring and a free trip to DisneyWorld.

    I know, I know, feeding a troll...




  8. #20

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    Oh and Dilfer was not undefeated.




  9. #21

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The point is not about whether Dilfer was mistreated...everyone in the Ravens fandom knows dumping Dilfer for Grbac was a bad move...It made sense at the time though, Grbac was coming off of a Pro Bowl year in KC and looked like a guy who'd be able to sling the ball. Meanwhile, Dilfer was a loveable guy, but he wasn't an elite QB. Our gameplan that made him look so good was protect the ball, run the ball, and play lights out defense. Billick and Ozzie felt we needed to upgrade at QB in order to get another SB.

    But to say we are "cursed" because of Dilfer...that's like saying the Patriots are cursed because of losing Vinatieri, since they haven't won a SB since he left. It's just coincidence.
    TrINT never looked good in Baltimore. I still cringe when I see how bad and how lucky he was in SB XXXV. Better to be lucky than good though, I guess.

    UNLEASH THE BEASTS!!!!




  10. #22

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    Quote Originally Posted by RAVENOUS52 View Post
    TrINT never looked good in Baltimore. I still cringe when I see how bad and how lucky he was in SB XXXV. Better to be lucky than good though, I guess.
    Trent Dilfer is one of the worst quarterbacks in history to win the Superbowl. He didn't screw it up. He should get credit for that. But he rode an all time great defense and terrific running game to the championship. If we had even a solid QB like McNair or Gannon that season, we might have gone undefeated.

    - C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

    www.oblongspheroid.com

    A blog about any and everything football.

    Twitter: oblong_spheroid




  11. #23

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    I do not think it is reasonable to argue there is a "curse" on the Ravens due to Dilfer's being cut. After all, who believes in curses?

    Still, many Ravens fans and management have not understood what Dilfer's loss means for them and for the team:

    (1) Cutting Dilfer was clearly unmerited at the time and crushed the Ravens long-term;

    (2) The value of Dilfer's intelligent, unhurried, mistake-free play is particularly obvious after yesterday's loss to the Steelers. Dilfer was superb at never getting rattled, at never allowing unforced turnovers, and at instilling the values of competence, patience, and skill in his teammates.

    (3) Whenever there is a thread on this message board defending Dilfer and arguing that Dilfer was unfairly treated, numerous posters chime in with slurs about his play. That type of response is classless: Dilfer brought home the Ravens only Superbowl, and was a supremely intelligent, winning-oriented quarterback. I don't know of any other group of nominal team fans who act like that. Usually team fans are loyal to and support their best and most successful players - with Ravens fans, it's the opposite, at least in Dilfer's case.

    (4) Dilfer represents a philosophy: of winning over statistics, of function over form, of skill over flash. By rejecting Dilfer, the Ravens (and their fans) implicitly rejected that philosophy. That rejection carries over even today, to decisions, for example, whether to select coaches based on that coach's actual football expertise or on his perceived public relations attributes. Ravens fans and management have to ask themselves: do they value skill or do they value flash?

    Until Ravens fans and management can come to understand that firing Dilfer was wrong - and why it was wrong - and that heaping scorn on Dilfer is likewise wrong, they will continue to repeat the same kind of mistakes that led to his firing.
    Last edited by rbnn; 01-16-2011 at 11:25 AM.




  12. #24

    Re: The Curse of Trent Dilfer

    Quote Originally Posted by rbnn View Post
    I do not think it is reasonable to argue there is a "curse" on the Ravens due to Dilfer's being cut. After all, who believes in curses?

    Still, many Ravens fans and management have not understood what Dilfer's loss means for them and for the team:

    (1) Cutting Dilfer was clearly unmerited at the time and crushed the Ravens long-term;

    (2) The value of Dilfer's intelligent, unhurried, mistake-free play is particularly obvious after yesterday's loss to the Steelers. Dilfer was superb at never getting rattled, at never allowing unforced turnovers, and at instilling the values of competence, patience, and skill in his teammates.

    (3) Whenever there is a thread on this message board defending Dilfer and arguing that Dilfer was unfairly treated, numerous posters chime in with slurs about his play. That type of response is classless: Dilfer brought home the Ravens only Superbowl, and was a supremely intelligent, winning-oriented quarterback. I don't know of any other group of nominal team fans who act like that.

    (4) Dilfer represents a philosophy: of winning over statistics, of function over form, of skill over flash. By rejecting Dilfer, the Ravens (and their fans) implicitly rejected that philosophy. That rejection carries over even today, to decisions, for example, whether to select coaches based on that coach's actual football expertise or on his public relations skills. Ravens and fans and management have to ask themselves: do they value skill or do they value flashiness?

    Until Ravens fans and management can come to understand that firing Dilfer was wrong - and why it was wrong - and that heaping scorn on Dilfer is likewise wrong, they will repeat the same mistakes again and again.
    You are a fucking idiot. You have no idea what the hell you are writing...each of your points are full with factual errors...especially the last paragraph...and reading your bullshit just gives intelligent football fans a headache.

    I award you no points for believing in mythical curses and may God have mercy on your soul.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland