Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Would you tag AD?

The clock is ticking down. Would you tag AD? More here

Cast your vote on the home page

Should the Ravens use the franchise tag on AD?

1. No he's earned the right to become a free agent
    2. Yes, then trade him to a team of his choice for a high end draft pick
    3. Yes and keep him for 2007

Exclamation Re: Would you tag AD?

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    3. Yes and keep him for 2007
    Thomas is our team's "impact player". Of the 22 starting players, Thomas had more to do with the Ravens 13-3 playoff team than any other. Losing him would be the Ravens biggest FA loss since Vinnie.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Would you tag AD?

Not if it means mortgaging the future or if it puts us in cap hell and unable to resign people like Suggs or our draft picks. I like Thomas and would love him to stay, but people like Ozzie and DeCosta are paid to make these decisions for a reason and I know they will do what is in the best interest for the Ravens long term, not just for a one year run.

Not if it means mortgaging the future or if it puts us in cap hell and unable to resign people like Suggs or our draft picks

Ready to get flamed, but only if we had followed that line of thinking with the Steve McNair signing, resigning AD might not be so difficult.

If there are any people who had so much to do with our 13-3 season, it was Adalius and Trevor Pryce.

And, if there was any one person I'd blame most for being one and done, it'd be Steve McNair.

Not being able to sign AD and having these issues comes back down, IMHO, to that signing last season, and signing Jamal to such a silly contract last year. I wish we would've just stuck with Mike Anderson.

Flame away.

For what its worth, I say you let AD go if we aren't able to pay him what he deserves in a long-term contract.

No.

We can't afford to franchise him and sign other key free agents. It is more important to sign Tony Pashos+Jarret Johnson+Ovie Mughelli+BJ Sams+discount Jamal Lewis, or their competent replacements, then to have AD for exactly one more year.

Teams that win over a span of years have cold-blooded front offices. I hope we win over a span of years.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Ready to get flamed, but only if we had followed that line of thinking with the Steve McNair signing, resigning AD might not be so difficult.
    You stated it as I had been thinking - but I didn't want to wake up the McNair supporters. Yes - what is evolving now is exactly what I had been concerned about last year when the FO coughed up the $33 million commitment to McNair. Had we brought in a competent -- but affordable -- vet instead, there could have been enough money under the cap to afford re-signing or tagging Adalius Thomas.

There's not a lot that we can do about it now without reopening a few other vet contracts. Hopefully, Thomas will give Oz a day or so to match his best offer.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    You stated it as I had been thinking - but I didn't want to wake up the McNair supporters. Yes - what is evolving now is exactly what I had been concerned about last year when the FO coughed up the $33 million commitment to McNair. Had we brought in a competent -- but affordable -- vet instead, there could have been enough money under the cap to afford re-signing or tagging Adalius Thomas.

There's not a lot that we can do about it now without reopening a few other vet contracts. Hopefully, Thomas will give Oz a day or so to match his best offer.
    it's so sad that blind loyalty allows Ray Lewis to be the highest paid LB in football without restructuring based on his below-contract performance while because of it we will lose the guy who IMO isn't just better than Ray Lewis (or Scott, or Suggs, for that matter), but better than any other DEFENSIVE PLAYER in the NFL. At least for the Ravens defense.

And yes. I would franchise him. For 1 season, the last (most likely) with rex as the defensive coordinator.

it's so sad that blind loyalty allows Ray Lewis to be the highest paid LB in football without restructuring based on his below-contract performance while because of it we will lose the guy who IMO isn't just better than Ray Lewis (or Scott, or Suggs, for that matter), but better than any other DEFENSIVE PLAYER in the NFL. At least for the Ravens defense.

That really isn't the problem. Ray would probably hapilly restructure and give us cap relief if he thought it would put some signing bonus dough in his pocket and not cripple his financial future.

And who knows, that still might happen in order for us to resign Pashos, Ovie, JJ, and others.

The problem was the Steve McNair contract. 33 Million for very limited production. And also Jamal, 7 mil for a year of average production.

If that signing doesn't occur, you have a much different offseason.

1) Signing AD is easier

2) Drafting a QB makes sense, if a good one falls to us.

3) Resigning our other core FA's (Pashos, Ovie, JJ) is almost a foregone conclusion.

4) Signing a FA runningback is easier

Ray's contract is Ray's contract. Its really fine the way it is. Its certain OTHER contracts where the Ravens are set to pay piper. If McNair is the starter this year, you better hope he puts up better production OR wins a playoff game. Otherwise, we mortgaged our future in players like AD for nothing.

Franchise tag this year costs us $7,206,000 this year, which isn't astronomical for one year, though we don't have a great deal of cap space if the info I see on t'internet is correct. We don't need a great deal but we do need enough to sign our rookies and pick up a couple of free agents to fill any wholes that emerge.

I'd be thoroughly against tagging and trading him, for one it's a backhanded mood and secondly you wouldn't get fair value for him I don't think in a trade, yes he's phenomenal now, but he's also approaching 30 when you start getting less and less and less for players.

Personally whilst I want to keep him, I really think Pashos is the guy I want locked up, he's younger and just approaching his best. He was one of the best RTs in the league this year, especially with regards to his pass blocking, with the number of 3-4s that we seem to face every year, I think having two very good pass blocking OTs (Ogden-Pashos or Terry-Pashos) is very important, especially with McNair back there and his fragility in recent years (though notice how healthy he stays when he's only sacked 17 times in the season).

No doubt AD is of high importance to us, but I don't know that we can afford to pension our future on him, last year we could've extended him, but this year I don't think the cap space is there this year to manage what will be far bigger demands this time round.

Sorry guys, I can't agree on the McNair issue. Most people here know that I still think Kyle Boller can be an NFL starter and lead a team to the playoffs and possibly more. But it's hard to argue with the fact that McNair was effectively 12-2 with a subpar running game, and he made a great contribution to our offensive line's statistical improvement this year in pass protection (by knowing when to get rid of the ball). He had a terrible playoff performance and was the main culprit for our playoff exit, yes, but his signing wasn't a mistake because he had one very bad game. Let's keep in mind that we've had Adalius Thomas for a few years now and haven't been able to produce the same success as a team.

If we had the cap room, I'd love to franchise and trade AD, because that's what would be best for the team, to get something out of losing him. I don't see it happening. Let's try to get Pashos and Mughelli back and get some good players in the draft. We'll be okay without AD.

First of all McNair if anyone was the reason we did so well this season. Honestly I believe it is a combination of a lot of players including AD but having a better offense was a huge step. Secondly McNair while signing a large total contract doesn't really hit our cap room hard until the last two years of his contract. If you look at the structuring, we signed him to hold him for the three cheap years of the contract then cut him when he starts to really be a drain on the cap.

I love AD and think he is a great player, but we need use any addition cap room we have on improving our running game, not our defense..
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

If feasible, I'd tag him and if he wants a big signing bonus & contract that bad, allow him to seek a trade.

You might look on it as not the best for business ~ but why let a star player go if you can prevent it or at least get something in return if it doesn't totally screw you?

The pats got a 1st rounder for what i consider a lesser WR than AT is as a LB.

Will the 49ers be willing to give up picks? or detroit? or lots of other teams with money under the cap that think AT might be the difference maker in getting to the superbowl? (ie new england too) YES.

If players and owners want to change that, it should be negotiated and the structuring of cap hits and salaries should be changed along with changing of the franchise and transition tag labels.
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 02-21-2007 at 01:17 PM.