Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Question Ravens base defense



    Hi guys.

    I'm trying to figure out whether the Ravens play a 46, or a 3-4 pressure defense. I've found the articles from 2005 describing the switch to the 46, and how excited Lewis was about it. I've tried to watch a little of the shortcuts games I have on the TiVo, and it does seem that generally Pryce, Greg and...the other guy escapes me right now...line up directly over the GCG, and then Scott and Thomas play the Sam and Will LBs overloaded to one side, with Suggs as the rush end.

    Behind them, of course, is Lewis and it looks to me like you alternate the safety who drops down to the second level with Lewis.

    Is this wrong? Did you guys switch back to the 3-4? Just looking for some info. Thanks.




  2. #2

    Re: Ravens base defense

    The Ravens defense plays in a variety of formations -- they shift and mix things up so much, I'm not sure myself what I would call their base defense, or if they even have one. Anyone have an opinion on this?

    Welcome to the board, by the way.




  3. #3

    Re: Ravens base defense

    Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    The Ravens defense plays in a variety of formations -- they shift and mix things up so much, I'm not sure myself what I would call their base defense, or if they even have one. Anyone have an opinion on this?

    Welcome to the board, by the way.
    Thanks. That's another thing I was thinking - maybe they're just so diverse that you can't quite nail it down. And obviously teams have different sets they move in and out of.

    The key thing, I guess, is where Pryce, Gregg, and....that other guy (lol) line up.

    Here are the articles I found from 05, before the switch from the 3-4.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...061301547.html

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_n15657209

    Thanks.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Glen Burnie
    Posts
    350

    Re: Ravens base defense

    I think the best way to describe their base defense is an 11 !! They line up 11 guys on the defensive side of the ball and you never know where any of them are going to be! I love Rex Ryan and am so glad he'll be here another year !!
    ... They shall mount up with wings as Eagles;




  5. #5

    Re: Ravens base defense

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
    I think the best way to describe their base defense is an 11 !! They line up 11 guys on the defensive side of the ball and you never know where any of them are going to be! I love Rex Ryan and am so glad he'll be here another year !!
    I was goin gto answer it by saying, YES. I like your answer though. Our Base Defense has two corners, two safeties, one potentially in the box, potentially faking it, or completely out. We then can be in either the 3-4, the 4-3 or the 46. The same personnel was required for each, it was simple shifting around and shifting weight, picking hands up, etc. I would hazzard to guess there were times we were lined up with a 4-3 with a safetyu in the box, but really the front seven had the assignments from a 3-4 and Landry was on his way out as soon as the snap came. The versatility of the front seven, as well as the extreme competence of the secondary allowed this type of trickery and scheme masking. AD's versatility and overall virtuoso play will be missed but the major blocks are still in place to continue where we left off.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Foggy Bottom, DC
    Posts
    496

    Re: Ravens base defense

    I think if you held a gun to Rex's head he would say it is a 4-3. Our starting D has players classified as 4 lineman- Ngata, Gregg, Price, and Suggs; 3 LBs- Ray, Scott, and AD; plus 2 CBs- McAlister and Rolle; and two Safeties- Reed and Landry.

    The reason why we morph so well is that both Suggs and AD can play with their hand down on the line or standing up at linebacker. I think in the Ravens media guide they are both listed as DE/LB, but our base formation that all the shifting is based on is with Suggs down and Thomas up.

    It should be noted that we do constantly morph so saying we are a base 4-3 should be taken as lightly as possible.




  7. #7

    Re: Ravens base defense

    Thanks for the answers so far - I kind of figured it would be difficult to nail down, even for people who watch them week in and week out.

    Do you agree that it is pretty standard for a combination of Scott and either Thomas or Suggs to bring it from one side with the other bringing it from the other side? Do Pryce & co. line up like I think I remember (lol...a little fuzzy, although I'm downloading a torrent of your game against Carolina this year to look closer)

    As a supplementary question, none of you have even suggested that the defense is a 3-4. Why does the Ravens official site list the positions as a 3-4 on the depth chart? Same for NFL.com?




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    2,126

    Re: Ravens base defense

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    I think if you held a gun to Rex's head he would say it is a 4-3. Our starting D has players classified as 4 lineman- Ngata, Gregg, Price, and Suggs; 3 LBs- Ray, Scott, and AD; plus 2 CBs- McAlister and Rolle; and two Safeties- Reed and Landry.

    The reason why we morph so well is that both Suggs and AD can play with their hand down on the line or standing up at linebacker. I think in the Ravens media guide they are both listed as DE/LB, but our base formation that all the shifting is based on is with Suggs down and Thomas up.

    It should be noted that we do constantly morph so saying we are a base 4-3 should be taken as lightly as possible.
    This is close but not quite right. Although I agree with all the sentiment about the D moving around so much that you can't classify the formation... Technically the Ravens play a 3-4. The answer above is correct exept that in the base defense Suggs is more of a LB, (just one that lines up with his hand down a lot). That is why the official site says that they run a 3-4 and it is technically correct.

    Remember I said technically b/c, I can't remember many times when we haven't had at least 4 guys lining up as DE/DT's...
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!





  9. #9

    Re: Ravens base defense

    Should just be called the base "A.D." defense, which is why, if he leaves, we will miss him so much.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland