Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 48
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Florida (Venice area)
    Posts
    532

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee



    Ozzie is VERY good at a lot of things. He will cave though, as the Titans and Browns discovered. We could do a lot worse though, and what a magnificent he was!
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM




  2. #14

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    Ozzie is VERY good at a lot of things. He will cave though, as the Titans and Browns discovered. We could do a lot worse though, and what a magnificent he was!
    Titans -
    He gave the Titans a 4th round pick, which as I recall was reported as our original offer. It was the Titans who caved, if you look at it that way. Though you might say, we would have gotten him eventually, part of the benefit of getting the trade done was to get him in the fold so preparation for the season could begin.

    Browns -
    I remember Ozz being asked about this soon after the draft, and he had an answer which unfortunately I've forgotten. . . But it is possible he genuinely believed there was another team interested in trading up to get Ngata, which could have triggered the deal with Phil.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  3. #15

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Yes, I believe philly was making noise about possibly trading up and secondarily, Ozzie said after Ngata he thought there was a big drop off in talent in that draft. (of course that could always be PR speak).

    Giving a 6th to make sure no one steals then person you want to slip a spot isn't a bad deal in the top 15.




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    328

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Yeah, Oz caved in and gave Cleveland a 6th round pick!! What a pushover!!

    Just to clarify.

    We didn't "give up" a 1st rounder for Boller.

    We had 2 first round picks in 03 and none in 04.

    Boller "cost" us a 2nd round pick.
    Thats not right, we had one pick in that draft and a 1st in the 04 draft. We traded our 1st in 2004 and our 2nd in 2003 to get an extra 1st that became Boller.

    Boller didnt pan out and since he didnt he "cost" us the 1st in 2004.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SW Florida (Venice area)
    Posts
    532

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    The Browns didn't want Ngata and the Titans for SURE didn't want McNair. Ozzie will cave and get bluffed at times. It doesn't make him a bad person though.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD
    Posts
    14,053

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    It's a matter of opinion. The thing that jumped out at me regarding Mr. J's piece was that the team failed almost every time they traded up. Trading down seemed to yield success through a combination of good fortune and making good picks.

    The great thing about the Ravens front office (and I base this on my relationship with Eric DeCosta) is that they are not afraid to admit when they've erred. They want to know why they made mistakes and they want to take measures so that they don't happen again. Can't fault them for that...

    I think if I presented Mr. J.'s column to DeCosta, he'd acknowledge the mistakes -- the first step towards preventing their reoccurence.

    All that said, I'm happy that Eric, Ozzie, et all are on our side!




  7. #19

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    The Browns didn't want Ngata and the Titans for SURE didn't want McNair. Ozzie will cave and get bluffed at times. It doesn't make him a bad person though.
    Perhaps but my point was, the Browns *could* have traded the pick to someone who *did* want Ngata, and the Titans *could* have forced us to wait X more weeks before we could bring in our starting quarterback. There was some value gained each time, I wouldn't characterize either as "caving" if by that term you mean giving something for nothing.

    :2c:
    Last edited by festivus; 03-31-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  8. #20

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Quote Originally Posted by bassgtrst View Post
    Yeah, Oz caved in and gave Cleveland a 6th round pick!! What a pushover!!



    Thats not right, we had one pick in that draft and a 1st in the 04 draft. We traded our 1st in 2004 and our 2nd in 2003 to get an extra 1st that became Boller.

    Boller didnt pan out and since he didnt he "cost" us the 1st in 2004.
    The total sunk cost invested in Boller was (1) 2003 2nd round pick and (1)2004 first rd pick. We did not lose a first rd pick, we used one a year early.




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    328

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    I see what you are saying but any player you pick will cost you the pick you take him with, Boller cost us a 1st rounder.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton




  10. #22

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    It's a matter of opinion. The thing that jumped out at me regarding Mr. J's piece was that the team failed almost every time they traded up. Trading down seemed to yield success through a combination of good fortune and making good picks.

    The great thing about the Ravens front office (and I base this on my relationship with Eric DeCosta) is that they are not afraid to admit when they've erred. They want to know why they made mistakes and they want to take measures so that they don't happen again. Can't fault them for that...

    I think if I presented Mr. J.'s column to DeCosta, he'd acknowledge the mistakes -- the first step towards preventing their reoccurence.

    All that said, I'm happy that Eric, Ozzie, et all are on our side!
    Amen.

    I think the big key is that they had to stretch to draft in positions of desperate need and BPA (best player available). the BPA record itself speaks volumes. At the same point, it is interesting that when there is a desperate need the ravens trend to trade up for a player not worth the value.




  11. #23

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    The total sunk cost invested in Boller was (1) 2003 2nd round pick and (1)2004 first rd pick. We did not lose a first rd pick, we used one a year early.
    Exactly.

    I was just pointing out that it's not true that we "gave up" a 1st and a 2nd for Boller because what we did was just use 2 first rounders the same season.

    PP




  12. #24

    Re: Ravens Overpaid For McGahee

    I was just pointing out that it's not true that we "gave up" a 1st and a 2nd for Boller because what we did was just use 2 first rounders the same season.
    Talk about semantics. Gave up? We gave up plenty and we have continued to give up ever since we made the pick. This isnt directed at anyone person but You are foolish at this point if you dont think we gave up a first rounder. Boller was picked in the first round, we used a first round pick to get him. A first round pick was used.

    Some are talking about Sunk cost but what about all the hidden costs that we keeping incurring. One of our first round picks in 2003 is sitting on the mother fin' bench while we had to go and get a high Priced QB. An OC has lost his job and a well respect HC cant find work around the league because of this guy.

    Look I'm still willing to give boller a chance in TC but come on already. Lets call a spade a spade.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray...
    _________________
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland