Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 23 of 23
  1. #13

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter



    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchterps View Post
    I do my part by doing the same thing I have been doing for five years -- not going to games. (Prior to 2000, I was an mini-plan holder who probably ended up going to 20 games a year.) But I had no interest in yesterday's event because (A) I work, and (B) I had no interest putting more money into Angelos' pocket.
    No, you poo pooed the event as if it weren't successful. If you weren't there you don't know. Flanagan, Bensen and Miggy had great things to say about the group that DID participate. What has APATHY gotten us to date? At the very least, Angelos was forced to respond to the fans yesterday and now he is already talking about putting Baltimore back on the jerseys and investing some cash. So, you can thank the rest of us who got off our asses and left work an hour early.





  2. #14

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    “I can understand that. I’d be frustrated, too, if I was a fan,” Orioles infielder Chris Gomez said before the game.

    “We're definitely trying in [this clubhouse], but I can definitely understand their frustration,” Gomez said. “It's a proud organization, and they expect better. And we as players expect better.”
    I fully expect King Peter to make Flanagan cut Chris Gomez or not resign him now.

    Drew, I 100% commend you, Terry, Bob, Nestor, Rob Long, and the rest for doing what you did. The best thing this rally did was show Angelos for who he really is. Has no intention of spending the money, doesn't care what the fans think as long as they watch MASN, and as usual anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot.

    You know, just like the last 8 managers and few GM's that have been through the Orioles system or Jon Miller.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,865

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    now he is already talking about putting Baltimore back on the jerseys and investing some cash. So, you can thank the rest of us who got off our asses and left work an hour early.
    No he isn't. An interviewer asked him about the road jerseys, and he just said he "wouldn't be unwilling to do it". He also said he may call them the Maryland Orioles.

    He's been talking about investing cash for how many years now? It's become standard company line.




  4. #16

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    He also said he may call them the Maryland Orioles.
    Even he couldn't be that stupid.


    Edit: The Rally was also reported on Baseball Tonight. You can't talk about the game without talking about the rally.

    "These people are tired of their owner Peter Angelos. They think he's torn this franchise down, and it's a really sad day in Baltimore when something like that happens".
    Last edited by StingerNLG; 09-22-2006 at 11:08 AM.




  5. #17

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    From today's Sun...

    Many fans asked that Angelos restore the city's name to the club's road jerseys.

    "That's not a request that's improper or unjustified," Angelos said. "Now there is a National League team in Washington, so obviously the distinction [between the cities] should be made."




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,865

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    Here is a link to an entire interview with him where the road jersey question was raised. He says the request is not unreasonable, but never says he is thinking about actually doing it. In fact, when asked if it was a possibility to put Baltimore on the road jerseys, he flat out says "no". Also highlighted is the line where he talks about designating the Orioles as "Maryland's baseball team". It's obvious the guy is a lawyer - lots of double speak and talking without actually saying anything.

    http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=738

    You have mentioned quite a bit about the issue of local ownership, and how you brought local ownership back to the Orioles. How do you square that with the fact that the Orioles still don't have Baltimore on the road uniforms?

    I am not unwilling to do that. [Putting "Orioles" on the road uniforms] was done a long time ago. It was Jerry Hoffberger who did that. In fact, Edward Bennett Williams didn't do that, who was a Washingtonian. It was Jerry who did that and the reason he did that was to extend the brand out there beyond the city or its immediate environs in order to expand the fan base. And try as he did -- and he put the best teams you ever saw in your life on the field -- he couldn't break a million. Those were the Colt years. And the Ravens have gotten a lot of attention, justifiably. And so, you have that competition now.

    Getting back to your question, I don't have any problem with that. I think the focus on that is disturbing. Because, to me, the Oriole team is Baltimore and it's Maryland. Could we say it? Sure, we could say that and maybe we'll do that. But sometimes it's advocated by the same people who are constantly condemning the club and practically telling people: "Don't go watch the games." So it gets to be a personal aspect.

    Okay, it is a personal thing, I wonder if this isn't one of those things that you're not doing because people are saying, "Why doesn't he do this?" And that it gets mixed up with the people who are condemning you for everything?

    Not really. Well, it could be a component of that in the whole discussion. Let's just say that's not a request that is unreasonable. I have no problem with it.

    So, we can say it's a possibility of putting Baltimore on the road uniforms?

    No. I just said it's not unreasonable.
    I said that when Jerry Hoffberger did it way back and EBW maintained it and Eli Jacobs didn't bother with it.

    I will tell you that I have the rights to sell the name of the ballpark and I have never done that. I don't want to call it XYZ Bank Ballpark. I am not knocking the football stadium, I am just telling you that Oriole Park at Camden Yards, which was Jacobs' idea, and I think he was right and I still think he was right, is a name known across the country.


    The Baltimore issue, you say it's not an unreasonable request. What would it take to suddenly say, "This year we're going to try that?"

    It wouldn't take anything in particular. It would be a decision really to revamp the uniform to some extent. And we would have to address that, and that may very well be done. I don't really have a problem with that. I might also want to designate the team as Maryland's baseball team. I have had complaints from Marylanders living outside the Baltimore Metro area, complaining we always talk about Baltimore…so maybe a combination might work.




  7. #19

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    That interview is older than yesterdays. I read that 3 days ago. The latest talk I heard was Baltimore Orioles, Maryland's team. I'm fine with that as long as he starts to acknowledge it. The point is, yesterday mattered.




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    reisterstown
    Posts
    302

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchterps View Post
    I do my part by doing the same thing I have been doing for five years -- not going to games. (Prior to 2000, I was an mini-plan holder who probably ended up going to 20 games a year.) But I had no interest in yesterday's event because (A) I work, and (B) I had no interest putting more money into Angelos' pocket.
    Very legit reasons for not going. I did go and it was a success. Despite what you read there was 2,000 people there and we succeeded in embarrassing the buffoon nationally and had a fun time doing it. Those were the 2 main goals of the event and if you saw Angelos' reaction he reaffirmed how out of touch he is. I felt bad for Flanagan who looked white as a ghost giving his lapdog interview after the game. It reminded him how Oriole games used to sound back when people cared. Will anything change? No, but the alternative is to sit back do nothing and watch another 10 years of bad baseball and horrible treatment by Fidel Angelos and his minions.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,865

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    That interview is older than yesterdays. I read that 3 days ago. The latest talk I heard was Baltimore Orioles, Maryland's team. I'm fine with that as long as he starts to acknowledge it. The point is, yesterday mattered.
    I know that it did. I just don't think Angelos is going to go making any drastic changes as a result of it. All he could talk about was how the protestors are stupid because they don't know how much it costs to run a competitive baseball team and lashing out at Nestor as an instigator and troublemaker. Even in the quote you posted, he never actually says he is seriously considering putting Baltimore on the jerseys. He just says it is a reasonable request. Basically answering the question like a lawyer or politician would.




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchterps View Post
    The Sun says less than 1,000 people showed up, even though 3,000 to 10,000 were expected.

    In other words . . .



    Lame
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: FYI--Rally made Sportscenter

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I fully expect King Peter to make Flanagan cut Chris Gomez or not resign him now.

    Drew, I 100% commend you, Terry, Bob, Nestor, Rob Long, and the rest for doing what you did. The best thing this rally did was show Angelos for who he really is. Has no intention of spending the money, doesn't care what the fans think as long as they watch MASN, and as usual anyone who disagrees with him is an idiot.

    You know, just like the last 8 managers and few GM's that have been through the Orioles system or Jon Miller.
    I will do you one better, Stinger. I fully expect Angelos to fire Flanagan. If you read Flanagan's response, as much as he could, he showed support to the Rally.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland