Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Re: If Gaither showed up to practice...

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    My feeling is is that Oakland didn't clear him because he was so out of shape. That would qualify as a failure on the medical exam would it not?
    I would think so. That was all I was really saying. None of us can deny the truly immense potential that Jared Gaither possesses, to this day. However, I firmly believe that, had he taken better care of his body, he might have avoided some of the injuries he suffered. John Harbaugh seems to agree. As a matter of fact, I posted a link to a piece where Gaither actually agrees.

I don't think that he was faking the injury. I am not going to begin to explain why Gaither decided to lose the weight. He said that he wanted to take pressure off of the foot. I will roll with that. However, if he were more cooperative with the team during the off-season and appreciated his body more, he might not have the problems that he has now.

It was just strange that the injury is still being used as an excuse when Gaither himself said that he felt great and ready to take the LT position, five months ago. Plus, how would he suddenly pass KC's physical less than a month after failing Oakland's if the back was still a major issue?
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Oakland's doctors would not sign off on him and that was less than a month before KC signed him. How could he pass a physical with KC if he still he was not healthy?
    I heard reports asking the same thing. I know he practiced for a couple days and then was held out of practice. Haley talked about him needing to get into playing shape while Gaither talked about being 100% healthy, which is what he has said all along. There has been some quiet talk that Oakland's decision had nothing to do with his back, and instead was fear about a league-imposed suspension looming.

There is no other logical explanation Shas. Either you are right in that the rumors, which I began hearing last year when it was said that the Ravens would have secretly took a second round pick for Gaither, are true, or Gaither truly is healthy (Which he and his agent said back in March) and, since no team could monitor him, he did not put in the type of work that meets his potential. My apologies for the plethora of commas. Both cases could be true. Drug use could explain the weight loss, especially while dealing with the pain from the injury, as a guy who was never really in his best shape. We have already seen what can become of Gaither when the team is not monitoring him. Aaron Wilson reported that Gaither was out of shape at mini-camp last off-season. That is the true reason why I believe the switch was made. It was going to happen eventually, but Harbaugh is not going to put a quality player on the bench if he is ready to play. By showing up out of shape and poorly communicating with the team during that off-season, he accelerated the process.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Bottom line, they drafted Oher because what they saw in his college time was better than what they saw in Gaither, and wanted to have Gaither on the right.
    I don't think you can safely assume that.

I think the Ravens drafted Oher because he was, in their view, the "best player available" and they don't like to pass up opportunities like that. I don't think it mattered a whole lot how he stacked up specifically versus Gaither at the moment Oher was drafted, especially because all teams need two starting offensive tackles anyway. The Ravens saw a BPA offensive tackle on the board so they grabbed him. Figuring out left-vs-right happened later, underscored by the fact that Oher played his rookie year on the right side.

When the Ravens drafted Oher, they didn't immediately pigeonhole either him or Gaither. They left the door open to many potential outcomes. They let the two play and then made more permanent position and roster decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    No, he wasn't. He was dangled on a tender which is not a contract until signed. There is a major difference from a legality viewpoint. Tendered players(including franchise tagged players) rarely, if ever, participate in OTA's,
    Yes, that's the case with franchised players, but RFAs and EFAs (and draft picks, being only tendered until they sign their contracts in July, subject to rules about when they "graduate") generally show up.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

And this is the problem with the whole thing.

It's hard not to think of what our line could look like, and how much better it would perform with tha healthy, motivated Gaither, but that was never part of the plan. Oher fits the image of what Harbs wanted at left tackle, and it doesn't seem to matter that he looks like tarzan and plays like Jane. I think he will be our LT for some time to come, almost independant of his play there.
    Had Gaither shown the dedication that they expected of him, he would have been the LT.

You continually want to make this about Oher - and some supposed lovefest with Oher - when it's anything but that. This entire situation was about Gaither and the team's belief that he is/was unreliable. Oher is just the guy that they believe can play LT too and would play there if Gaither didn't/couldn't.

Again, had Gaither shown the dedication and determination they were looking for - that he, himself, said he needed at the end of 2009 - they would have left him at LT.

This decision had nothing to do with Oher - other than he was insurance - and everything to do with Gaither.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

And this is the problem with the whole thing.

It's hard not to think of what our line could look like, and how much better it would perform with tha healthy, motivated Gaither, but that was never part of the plan. Oher fits the image of what Harbs wanted at left tackle, and it doesn't seem to matter that he looks like tarzan and plays like Jane. I think he will be our LT for some time to come, almost independant of his play there.
    Sorry, but this is ridiculous. You keep saying "with a healthy, motivated Gaither..." Stop saying that! It's literally the equivalent of speculating what could have been for the Chargers with a healthy, motivated Ryan Leaf or the Raiders with a healthy, motivated Jamarcus Russel. It's not an option for us to have a healthy, motivated Gaither cause Gaither was only sometimes healthy and pretty much never motivated.

The NFL's wasteland is chock full of people who have incredible talent such that if they were healthy and motivated, they would be good, great or even Hall of Fame worthy players. Except they're either not healthy, not motivated or both, so instead they suck.

That's Gaither. Healthy and motivated very clearly is not a part of who he is. So stop pining over what could be if he was. He wasn't, so he sucks, and right now we're absolutely, positively, 100% a better team without him.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Sorry, but this is ridiculous. You keep saying "with a healthy, motivated Gaither..." Stop saying that! It's literally the equivalent of speculating what could have been for the Chargers with a healthy, motivated Ryan Leaf or the Raiders with a healthy, motivated Jamarcus Russel. It's not an option for us to have a healthy, motivated Gaither cause Gaither was only sometimes healthy and pretty much never motivated.

The NFL's wasteland is chock full of people who have incredible talent such that if they were healthy and motivated, they would be good, great or even Hall of Fame worthy players. Except they're either not healthy, not motivated or both, so instead they suck.

That's Gaither. Healthy and motivated very clearly is not a part of who he is. So stop pining over what could be if he was. He wasn't, so he sucks, and right now we're absolutely, positively, 100% a better team without him.

- C -
    Great, great, great post!

Everybody lives off what Gaither did in his first year. I understand the money is on the left side and he proved in one season that he was capable. Since the Ravens made the choice to play Oher on the left, Gaither gave up. Football players don't give up when its time to compete.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Sigh.. AND THE FACT THAT HE WAS A LEFT TACKLE IN COLLEGE AND DRAFTED IN THE FIRST FREAKING ROUND TO BE A LEFT TACKLE!

You know, it's amazing to me that you are holding onto this belief that Gaither was this next coming of Jonathan Ogden. Especially since he's gone and had to get picked up by a team who's basically taking a low risk flyer on him when no other team wanted him. And if you think for a minute the Ravens are drafting Michael Oher to play RT after paying him what they needed to as a first round pick, you are definately nearly alone in that thinking.

I'll say it a third time. If Gaither, a supplemental draft pick BTW, was as good and dominant as you so want everyone to believe he is/was, then Michael Oher, a LEFT TACKLE, would not have been drafted. Gaither would never have been moved to right tackle, and he'd still be here.

Bottom line, they drafted Oher because what they saw in his college time was better than what they saw in Gaither, and wanted to have Gaither on the right. Gaither wanted money over position and voila, here we are.
    just because yiou believe it to be true, and put it in capital letters does not make anything said in this post fact, simply your opinion which you are welcome to.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Had Gaither shown the dedication that they expected of him, he would have been the LT.

You continually want to make this about Oher - and some supposed lovefest with Oher - when it's anything but that. This entire situation was about Gaither and the team's belief that he is/was unreliable. Oher is just the guy that they believe can play LT too and would play there if Gaither didn't/couldn't.

Again, had Gaither shown the dedication and determination they were looking for - that he, himself, said he needed at the end of 2009 - they would have left him at LT.

This decision had nothing to do with Oher - other than he was insurance - and everything to do with Gaither.
    ok bury your head in the sand and pretend they are not connected, but they are 100% intertwined. You wouldn't read my complaints nearly as much if the line play did not drop precipitously upon Gaither leaving the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    No, ryan Leaf and Jamarcus SUCKED when on the field. Even you have admitted that Gaither's 31 games at LT were better then Ohers 23? at LT.

If what we saw in those 31 games was an unhealthy and /or unmotivated Gaither then that was good enough for me. It is superior to what we get from healhty motivated players now.

Blog Entries

ok bury your head in the sand and pretend they are not connected, but they are 100% intertwined. You wouldn't read my complaints nearly as much if the line play did not drop precipitously upon Gaither leaving the lineup.
    Maybe I'm not following your train of thought. If I focus on the last sentence, you seem to be making the argument that the loss of Gaither is what killed them, and I agree. And don't see what that has to do with Oher. Whether it was Oher on the right, and Gaither on the left, or vice versa, it wouldn't matter. Subtract Gaither from the equation and they are screwed -- whether it left Oher at RT and Cousins at LT, or it left Oher at LT and Yanda at RT to me doesn't matter. It was 100% a Gaither issue, and 100% related to his availability.

If you are arguing that the decision to test Oher on the left led to Gaither having a hissy fit, stopping his work outs, losing weight, and failing to heal then I still don't think that matters, either. In my book, it's still a 100% Gaither issue.

If they had never drafted Oher, same story, only worse. Gaither's availability and reliability would have still been what it was.

They came to realize they could not rely on the guy, whether it was through no fault of his own, or whether it was completely his doing. But Oher doesn't factor in that story.