Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    So glad I don't live in Cincy...



    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/story...reilly-bengals

    Great article by Rick Reilly about the rift between Carson Palmer and Bengal's owner Mike Brown.. Interesting idea towards the end of the article:

    "If I'm Palmer, I watch the signing wires like a hawk. As soon as the Bengals climb to within $11.5 million of the hard salary cap, I beeline it to Cincinnati and sign. That would force Brown to either cut five or six players to be able to pay me -- or sign my freedom papers."

    On the bright side, there is some really good young talent in Cincy.. Just might take a few years to for them to figure things out.




  2. #2

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Mike Brown is so stubborn he'd damage his franchise just to avoid backing down

    Same man who turned down two first rounds picks for Chad Johnson




  3. #3

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Mike Brown is so stubborn he'd damage his franchise just to avoid backing down

    Same man who turned down two first rounds picks for Chad Johnson
    It's really pretty unbelievable.. The guy would rather prove a point than have a chance to win some extra games for the city and it's fans.




  4. #4

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Mike Brown is so stubborn he'd damage his franchise just to avoid backing down
    He already has.

    I feel for those fans. Very similar to Orioles fans; an owner who has doomed the team to perpetual losing, and a fanbase so desperate and eager for something better it can't accept that its ship has sailed, owner at the helm.

    Very sad.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    College Park via Ellicott City (MD)
    Posts
    188

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Mike Brown is a disgrace to his family name and has pretty much destroyed the great legacy his father built.




  6. #6

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    He already has.

    I feel for those fans. Very similar to Orioles fans; an owner who has doomed the team to perpetual losing, and a fanbase so desperate and eager for something better it can't accept that its ship has sailed, owner at the helm.

    Very sad.
    Good analogy.. reminds me a lot of the O's situation.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,149
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    From the story...

    Yes, Palmer has four years left on his nine-year, $118 million deal. You signed the contract, you say. Live up to it. In fact, that's what Brown has said. "He gave his word. … He's going to walk away from his commitment. We aren't going to reward him for doing it."

    But Brown is a hypocrite. He has cut hundreds of players before their contract was up and given them nothing. Why should Palmer live up to a deal that works only one way?
    As a personal aside, way back when T.O. was trying to get a better deal in Philly, and the owner was throwing out the idea that "a contract is a contract" I wrote Reilly and suggested to him that owners are full of crap because they can cut players any time but players have no such leverage. Reilly replied that I had "an interesting perspective."

    One thing I don't understand in Reilly's argument is the bit about Carson running back into town to sign. He's already under contract. So what is there for him to sign? Doesn't it come down to Carson waiting to sign his retirement papers, and then at that point the Bengals have the cap room? At some point, they force him to retire by fining him for not being in camp, right? So I'm not sure how Reilly's strategy of screwing the Bengals could work.




  8. #8

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    He already has.

    I feel for those fans. Very similar to Orioles fans; an owner who has doomed the team to perpetual losing, and a fanbase so desperate and eager for something better it can't accept that its ship has sailed, owner at the helm.

    Very sad.
    Great analogy however in this case I will blame some of this on Carson.

    He's never been a leader and largely was absolved of all blame in Cincy when he's been very mediocre the last 2-3 years (yes he was hurt in 2008).

    Now he takes his ball and goes home when the team has rid itself of some of the malcontents? Not too good of a way to show leadership.

    BTW, Mike Brown is still a money whore. He lets a really good young corner in Jonathan Joseph go and then signs a declining veteran in Nate Clemens. BTW, they are still far under the cap.

    I remember on Hard knocks thinking to myself how cold and impersonal he and his daughter are.

    It really must suck to be a Bengals fan.




  9. #9

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    I don't blame Carson, but at the same time, he did ink an extension; I think he thought the fine print somewhere guaranteed that the Ravens and Steelers would suck. The Browns... well, anything with a Brown in it is bound to suck: See Mike Brown, or what the dog left on the front lawn; they are in fact, indistinguishable.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,166

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    Quote Originally Posted by Crean N Crimson View Post
    Good analogy.. reminds me a lot of the O's situation.
    Angelos has at times spent money, just very unwisely because he knows shit about baseball but thinks he does. He gave Albert Belle a boat load of cash, for example.




  11. #11

    Re: So glad I don't live in Cincy...

    If it were any team other than the Bengals, I would blame Carson for signing the deal. However, you would think that a man would sign that contract, with the idea that the team will actually work to improve, with him playing a major role.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland