Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 63
  1. #25

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!



    T Jack and the Seahawks are not beating hte Ravens. Not going to happen.

    The only games the Ravens will not be favored in will be at Pitt and at SD.

    I have a hard time projecting any more than 4 losses, and think the under is more likely than the over.

    Basically the team looks better on paper IMO than last year's 12-4 team and the schedule does not look as tough.







  2. #26

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    I can easily see the Ravens start out 2-2, the Jets and Steelers are going to exploit the lack of O-line continuity. I don't think that they will be used to playing with each other in those spots for 4-6 weeks so it will be an uphill battle to make the play-offs. I am with Gota on this.

    9-7 unless the o-line plays out of their skulls right from the get-go.




  3. #27

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I can easily see the Ravens start out 2-2, the Jets and Steelers are going to exploit the lack of O-line continuity. I don't think that they will be used to playing with each other in those spots for 4-6 weeks so it will be an uphill battle to make the play-offs. I am with Gota on this.

    9-7 unless the o-line plays out of their skulls right from the get-go.
    How can the OL possibly be any worse than it was last year though?

    I see this year's OL as anywhere from a medium to major upgrade over last year's that gave up 40 sacks and averaged only 3.7ypc on the ground. I also like Evans over Mason a lot even though I see them as close to equal rated, Evans brings more of what the O needed.

    The Steelers and Jets are tough opponenets, but we have owned the Jets the way the Steelers have owned us. IMO winning both is more likely than losing both. The Ravens are one of the toughest road games on anyone's schedule.







  4. #28

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    How can the OL possibly be any worse than it was last year though?

    I see this year's OL as anywhere from a medium to major upgrade over last year's that gave up 40 sacks and averaged only 3.7ypc on the ground. I also like Evans over Mason a lot even though I see them as close to equal rated, Evans brings more of what the O needed.

    The Steelers and Jets are tough opponenets, but we have owned the Jets the way the Steelers have owned us. IMO winning both is more likely than losing both. The Ravens are one of the toughest road games on anyone's schedule.
    It can be worse because the center is hurt and he wasn't that strong at the point of attack last year. Not a lot of 2nd level blocks by him when the knees were "good" and I like Birk a lot. Maybe he was bad last year BECAUSE of the need for knee surgery, but he still was not very good. He hasn't had any contact this season and he will be rusty. If he isn't ready to go, Mattison is maybe going to be an OK center in the league someday, but that day won't be week 1 against the Steelers D.

    Oher was very good 2 years ago at RT, he hasn't played there or practiced there much since. 10-12 days to change all your preparation and footwork to move back to the RT spot isn't a lot of time. It will be harder than you think for him and Yanda to make that transition and play well together.

    McKinne is a total X factor. He could come in and play well because of the way he uses his size more than anything, but the fact remains he is going to barely be in "football shape" at best with only a couple weeks worth of work.He is protecting the franchises back and it could get really ugly with the Steelers pass rush. When the Jets come to town, Rex knows how to take advantage of a situation, you should know that.

    I agree with you that Evans is what we have needed for a long time. I have stated that several times the last few days, but shades of days gone by with Boller (and last season Joe) back there getting killed because the o-line can't make a decent pocket for the QB keep dancing in my head.

    Look, I hope I am wrong, believe me. With all the heavy emotion I expect to be feeling on 9-11, i really don't want to contemplate how bad a loss to the Steelers will make me feel, but I see this as a tough beginning of the season for the O-line. Thank God there are some easier teams on the schedule with the NFC West this year, but I expect a 2-2 record after week 4.




  5. #29

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    It can be worse because the center is hurt and he wasn't that strong at the point of attack last year. Not a lot of 2nd level blocks by him when the knees were "good" and I like Birk a lot. Maybe he was bad last year BECAUSE of the need for knee surgery, but he still was not very good. He hasn't had any contact this season and he will be rusty. If he isn't ready to go, Mattison is maybe going to be an OK center in the league someday, but that day won't be week 1 against the Steelers D.

    Oher was very good 2 years ago at RT, he hasn't played there or practiced there much since. 10-12 days to change all your preparation and footwork to move back to the RT spot isn't a lot of time. It will be harder than you think for him and Yanda to make that transition and play well together.

    McKinne is a total X factor. He could come in and play well because of the way he uses his size more than anything, but the fact remains he is going to barely be in "football shape" at best with only a couple weeks worth of work.He is protecting the franchises back and it could get really ugly with the Steelers pass rush. When the Jets come to town, Rex knows how to take advantage of a situation, you should know that.

    I agree with you that Evans is what we have needed for a long time. I have stated that several times the last few days, but shades of days gone by with Boller (and last season Joe) back there getting killed because the o-line can't make a decent pocket for the QB keep dancing in my head.

    Look, I hope I am wrong, believe me. With all the heavy emotion I expect to be feeling on 9-11, i really don't want to contemplate how bad a loss to the Steelers will make me feel, but I see this as a tough beginning of the season for the O-line. Thank God there are some easier teams on the schedule with the NFC West this year, but I expect a 2-2 record after week 4.
    There are certainly question marks on the OL, we have not even seen them line up together yet, but as for Birk and Oher, I have a lot more confidence in them. Oher played very well over there as a rookie after never lining up there, so as a 3rd year guy, he should be much better at it than he was as a rookie.
    Birk was getting his knee drained like every week last year, and while he was not getting tot he second level, I thought he did his job well enough. Mattison stepped in for him some last year, and looks better this year. Grubbs wsa also dealing with bone spurs in his ankle that have been cleaned up so IMO at worse they are about the same as last year while dealing with nagging injuries, and hopefully a bit better.

    Yanda back at RG should also be a major upgrade over Chester.

    So last year Oher, Grubbs, Birk, Chester and Yanda with Cousins, Mattison and the guy from GB who's name I do not remember already do not look nearly as good on paper IMO as McKinney, Grubbs, Birk, Yanda, Oher with LeVoir, Reid and Mattison backing them.. I just can not see that group as any worse and possibly much better. So I not only hope you are wrong, but truly believe you are, although you do have legit concerns.







  6. #30

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    11-5. I think the Ravens split with the Steelers (would not be surprised if it was like last year), lose at SD, the Colts, the Texans and at Stl. That's potentially three home loses but the hardest part of their schedule is at home. The Colts defense gives them so many problems and the Texans knew they should've won last year but didn't finish the job.

    I think though that 11-5 is enough to win the division. While a lot of pundits are ball washing the Steelers, I would take a pause. They are immediately stating that their defense is going to be lights out when there's a lot of age and injury that's creeping up on that team. In addition, they have to play the Pats who have their number and must go to Indy and Houston. That's not easy at all.

    Harrison is not right and once teams figure it out they'll attack him. Is Jason Worllds ready? Can Lamar Woodley given them even more of a pass rush? Will Troy stay healhty? In addition, Ben has missed time because of injury in the past and with the way that o line has performed, he's going to take some shots. The Ravens have added young energetic pass rushers that while they may be green, they are what's needed to beat Ben and the Steelers imo. Pre-season MVP Antonio Brown has been anointed the second coming of Jimmy Smith (Jags) but do the Steelers think that teams are just going to let them just throw down the field without Ben being sacked/put on his ass? They'll go as far as Onthemend and Twinky take them because those two will see favorable matchups/numbers.

    In the end though the Ravens just can't turn the ball over. They don't and they'll be fine.

    Division champs but lose to the Jets in Baltimore for the AFC title. The city and Ravens fans will be apoplectic for a long time over that loss.




  7. #31

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    if the oline is good 13-3, if the o-line doesnt click 11-5.

    Someone posted that we lose to the jets, and I don't see that. I know alot of jets fans that are amazed by the fact that they can spell J-E-T-S, so they think they can win it all every game(sorry, jets fans annoy the hell out of me.), but the realists know they down graded reciever(too many"?" and speed is down) and there front 7 on d is still filled with holes. so I dont see that as a loss, close game? maybe, but no loss.




  8. #32

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    10 - 6

    Wild card. Win the wild card round, lose in the divisional round.

    "In the end it's hard to point to one thing, but it would have been nice to have a good left tackle. It was a good season, now it's time to sign Ngata. Man, we are going to look different next year. Flacco had a good year, will people *ever* see he's a good QB and just get off his back?"
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    173

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    I'm not into predictions but I think this is a very good team. It may take a few games to start rolling but I think they will.

    A good amount of posters are worried about the line which is somewhat suprising. I understand they haven't had any game snaps together this year but 4/5ths of the line have already played together for most of 2009. It's not like they havent worked together for any extended periods. The one unknown element is McKinnie and if he plays at least average for us then he'll be no worse than Oher at LT.

    The other part of the team that I'm worried about is the secondary. Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith (hopefully he's starting) will be tested quickly.
    They need experience. I'm expecting not only rookie mistakes from Smith but also first year jitters from Williams. Fortunately, we have decent depth if someone is not up to par.

    Bottom line, this is a very good team with better athleticism than last year's team. When you lose Mason, Heap, and the others, the team loses experience. Hopefully the athleticism will overcome the lack of experience. I do think this is a playoff quality team with a better schedule than last year.




  10. #34

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravskins View Post
    I'm not into predictions but I think this is a very good team. It may take a few games to start rolling but I think they will.

    A good amount of posters are worried about the line which is somewhat suprising. I understand they haven't had any game snaps together this year but 4/5ths of the line have already played together for most of 2009. It's not like they havent worked together for any extended periods. The one unknown element is McKinnie and if he plays at least average for us then he'll be no worse than Oher at LT.

    The other part of the team that I'm worried about is the secondary. Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith (hopefully he's starting) will be tested quickly.
    They need experience. I'm expecting not only rookie mistakes from Smith but also first year jitters from Williams. Fortunately, we have decent depth if someone is not up to par.

    Bottom line, this is a very good team with better athleticism than last year's team. When you lose Mason, Heap, and the others, the team loses experience. Hopefully the athleticism will overcome the lack of experience. I do think this is a playoff quality team with a better schedule than last year.
    Chicken.
    Festivus

    His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area
    Posts
    2,062

    Re: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    Rav--
    Not looking to paint anyone into a corner with these "experiments". When I spent time on SunSpot, I'd read thread after thread and endless posts at different times of the year, where posters would gnash their teeth and pull out their hair over a personnel move (or the lack of one), or how the xyz position will kill the team's efforts, or how signing Stubby DelGado (the one-armed wide receiver) would bring credibility and TDs to a sputtering ofense, or any of dozens more pronouncements about the certainty of failure or success for the Ravens at that moment in time.

    What was challenging was trying to have discussions about the team's fortunes without some posters stopping for a brief moment to engage their brain and realize that managing an NFL franchise isn't the same as managing their fantasy football team. And then we'd hear posters telling us, way after the fact, that "I always KNEW the Ravens made the right move with such-and-such a guy", or "I TOLD youse guys the team wouldn't be any better than 9-7 (or they'd DEFINITELY win 13 games)". Then there'd be endless aruing and debate about who actually said what, who was "smarter" when it came to predicting the future, and so on. So I decided to run prediction threads at different times of the year --

    >usually around draft time, when folks worry about "How could Ozzie not draft this guy or that, we're DOOMED!" [or my favorite, Why didn't BILLICK draft so-and-so?]

    >usually just prior to OTAs and TC, when some have on their purple-colored glasses sipping on the Kool-aid, figuring that some guy out of the blue who can't walk and chew gum at the same time will finally be the answer for the Ravens at {fill in the worrisome roster slot du jour}

    > and then usually right about this time, after the final pre-season game and before Game 1 of the regular season, when we actually are close to knowing who will actually be on the roster, who is or isn't injured, how well or not guys have played in games against other teams, etc.

    When I've summarized the results of the predictions, it feels like there are a lot of folks who are pretty good at predicting what the team's record will be when I look back after the season. It's also nice to shut up some knucklehead who declares somewhere around the middle of the season that "I KNEW that would happen and I TOLD you it would!" I drag outthe thread, look at the comments, and often find that the declarer siad exactly the opposite!

    In any event, it's more for fun, so don't worry, throw your hat into the ring!




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Baltimore hon!
    Posts
    84

    Re: Predict Ravens Record: Perception Experiment Thread --- or, How I learned to stop worrying and love the Ravens!

    Steelers - L
    @ Titans - W
    @ Rams - W
    Jets - L
    Texans - W
    @ Jaguars - W
    Cardinals - W
    @ Steelers - W
    @ Seahawks - W
    Bengals - W
    49ers - W
    @ Browns - W
    Colts - L
    @ Chargers - W
    Browns - W
    @ Bengals - W

    I'm going to go with 13-3. I don't think we've fine tuned enough for the Steelers in the first meeting, but we'll be ready by the second. Colts seem to be another mental block, and the Jets are a mini-Raven team, they're catching up to us.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland