Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 193
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster



    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Mike Brown will find a way to fuck it up.
    That's what everyone said about the Carson Palmer situation, but unless Cincy uses those picks acquired from Oakland to draft the next Jamarcus Russell, the Bengals should come out smelling like a rose on that deal.

    Still, point taken about Brown given his overall history. He is probably our best ally in keeping the Bengals in check.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post

    So the Ravens will be able to go to $126 million (if the cap is $121 like Casserly estimated a few weeks ago). They have...

    $108 million on the books for 34 players in 2012.

    Cut Fox that goes to $114 million.

    Add in all EFA's,RFA's and draft picks you are probably right at the cap of $125 million (guestimate). Just under the cap by a million or so.
    I assume this doesn't take into account the possibility of Ray's retirement before next season? Which may or may not happen, but if it does would the savings be significant? Let's assume Ed Reed stays with the team next year.

    Hmm ...guess this brings the topic away from "Non-Ravens" football, but just curious...
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 01-06-2012 at 12:34 PM.




  3. #27

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    The Steelers gave Ben a ton of money, Woodley and Harrison a ton of money, I believe Timmons as well as Polamalu, as well as Ike Taylor. They have people like Pouncey, Wallace, Antonio Brown and Osama Bin Mendenhall who will be coming up on paydays as well.

    They will be forced to have a cap purge starting with older players on defense.




  4. #28

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I assume this doesn't take into account the possibility of Ray's retirement before next season? Which may or may not happen, but if it does would the savings be significant? Let's assume Ed Reed stays with the team next year.

    Hmm ...guess this brings the topic away from "Non-Ravens" football, but just curious...
    That is assuming no one else gets cut/retires and they all come back, just cutting Foxworth.

    We can probably pick up a few more million cutting a few players but I doubt anything major will be going on in that regard. I mean Evans....JJ(torn about him)...who else really?? I just don't see that much "dead weight" on this roster. Hell half of it was drafted in the last 3 years, which is why we are in such a good spot relatively speaking.

    One other thing, Ray Rice needs along term deal to help us out. If we have to franchise him and carry it into the season, we won't have money to do anything. His franchise number will be about $8 million, while on a long term deal it would be much lower in the first year.




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,971
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    Mike Brown will find a way to fuck it up.
    The Bengals 'personnel director', really Mike Brown's best friend, is retiring and he's not being replaced. I keep hearing how Marvin got a lot more personnel control when he signed his last contract. I don't think Brown is as involved as he has been. That doesn't mean he's going to spend big on a free agent but for the mid-level guy and the draft picks he's going to let Marvin make the calls.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  6. #30

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    The Ravens have three major contracts to deal with. Flacco, Grubbs and Rice will all get raises. They may not have much to spend in FA, but they should be able to get those three contracts done.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  7. #31
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,226
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    This is why I was surprised to see the Hair get his fat contract extension. The Steelers don't follow the "Steeler" way that their fans like to tout.

    This would be a good time for someone to offer Wallace a huge contract cause there is no way they'd be able to match it.




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    N.E. Cincy
    Posts
    3,046

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Bengals 'personnel director', really Mike Brown's best friend, is retiring and he's not being replaced. I keep hearing how Marvin got a lot more personnel control when he signed his last contract. I don't think Brown is as involved as he has been. That doesn't mean he's going to spend big on a free agent but for the mid-level guy and the draft picks he's going to let Marvin make the calls.
    This is great news indeed (Steelers cap trouble). Brown has let Marvin do a lot more and our last few years of picks have been pretty damned good.

    We are always a mile under the cap so we can afford the new picks plus some free agents.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,226
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    That is assuming no one else gets cut/retires and they all come back, just cutting Foxworth.

    We can probably pick up a few more million cutting a few players but I doubt anything major will be going on in that regard. I mean Evans....JJ(torn about him)...who else really?? I just don't see that much "dead weight" on this roster. Hell half of it was drafted in the last 3 years, which is why we are in such a good spot relatively speaking.

    One other thing, Ray Rice needs along term deal to help us out. If we have to franchise him and carry it into the season, we won't have money to do anything. His franchise number will be about $8 million, while on a long term deal it would be much lower in the first year.
    So, Grubbs is pretty much out of the question for us then?




  10. #34

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Guys I added Fox's cap number instead of deducting it for 2012, the numbers are fixed now.




  11. #35

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    So, Grubbs is pretty much out of the question for us then?
    We should have about $10 million in cap space to work with, but I am sure that will be more with other cuts and money shifting here and there.

    Bottom line...we should have enough room for 2 big contracts, Grubbs and Rice.

    Ravor if you are out there and I am wrong correct me!




  12. #36

    Re: Stealers cap situation for 2012 a complete disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    On June 18, 2009, Wallace signed a three year contract with the Steelers worth $1.740 million which included a $555,000 signing bonus.
    Wallace is a hot name around the league and his agent could get a good deal for him easily. Obvious places being the Rams and Vikings

    Going to take some serious coin to lock up Wallace. And he deserves a payday, he is an excellent young receiver
    He's been in the league 3 years, so he'll get locked up with the top RFA tender (probably around 2-3 Mil). Doubt anyone will give up a one and a three plus a monster contract for him.
    I doubt they'd get any long term deal into a smaller cap number than the RFA number.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland