Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Hines Ward to Retire

Follow me on Twitter @ russellstreport

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    that will never get old!

He had a great career, and he will probably get HOF considerations, mostly because he's a steeler, but lets not get into that.

He started off as nothing, and made himself into something, his numbers are surprisingly pretty good. I Will miss the battles he had with Ray and Ed, he made it more fun to watch.

Glad to have watched a great player, even though i rooted against him for most if his career. Great Career. He's the kind of player you hate, but when he's on your team he's one of your favorites.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Per Tomlin's presser, both Starks and Hampton have ACL injuries and might require surgery. Also Keisel has significant groin injury.

Casey in in the last year of his contract and I expect between the large cap hit and injury, he'll get cut. Aaron Smith will most likely retire and has 1 year left on his contract. Chris Hoke was put on IR and doubt they bring him back. I can't see any way they don't bring Ike Taylor back. Yes, he was awful yesterday, but played solid this season for the what they paid him. Besides after him we have McFadden who was benched this year and William Gay. Neither of those guys are nearly good enough to start covering #1 WRs.

Haven't heard anything official, but I believe Hines will retire. His better days are behind him and watching from the sideline isnt his thing. I think he'd rather get a lot of reps or be done. I'm just glad they got him 1,000 receptions. Wouldn't mind bringing him back as a coach though.

Not sure what'll happen with Farrior. Doubt they cut him, but his playing time needs to be diminished greatly.

Blog Entries

Just having this discussion with someone. I find it strange, people talking about the Ravens D getting old, but aside from Ray and Ed, the oldest guy is Redding at 31. The Steelers are probably about to lose Farrior, Hampton and Aaron Smith who are all over 34 or older. Keisel (33) Ryan Clark (32) Ike Taylor (31) Polamalu (31) Harrison (33) McFadden (30) are all 30 or older. That's a lot of people getting up there.

They are going to have to cut anyone over 30 who is not named Polamalu.....watch.

I hope you guys are right about Ward. Sentiment outside of Ravens land is that he's a virtual lock for the Hall of Fame.

If I take off my anti-Steeler glasses, I think he comes up shy as a HOFer, but it's awfully close. Six 1000 yard seasons. Two more where he had 975 yards. 85 career TDs. The Steelers were hardly a pass-oriented team until the last 2-3 years either. I'm not sure what Ward did outdoors against a high ratio of top-end defenses is any less impressive than what Cris Carter or Torry Smith did playing a large % of their games in a dome.

The biggest thing working against Ward is his lack of top-flight-HOF-caliber individual season. His 2002 season (112-1329-12) was clearly HOF level. I believe his 03 season was as well (95-1163-10). He had plenty of other "good" seasons but only two that I would categorize as "great". Also, for those of you big into AVs, Ward never had a season above 12. He only had one season above 11 and only six in double digits overall. Then again, Cris Carter only had six double-digit AV seasons also, and only had two of 13 or higher.

My contention will be that if Hines Ward gets in, Derrick Mason needs to get in as well. They are very, very, very similar players.

For what it's worth I really don't want to ever see Ward's smile ever again...especially from a podium in Canton...but I think we are letting our anti-Steeler sentiments distract us a bit if we think that a player with 1000 catches and 12,000 career receiving yards isn't at least worthy of HOF consideration.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    Per Tomlin's presser, both Starks and Hampton have ACL injuries and might require surgery. Also Keisel has significant groin injury.

Casey in in the last year of his contract and I expect between the large cap hit and injury, he'll get cut. Aaron Smith will most likely retire and has 1 year left on his contract. Chris Hoke was put on IR and doubt they bring him back. I can't see any way they don't bring Ike Taylor back. Yes, he was awful yesterday, but played solid this season for the what they paid him. Besides after him we have McFadden who was benched this year and William Gay. Neither of those guys are nearly good enough to start covering #1 WRs.

Haven't heard anything official, but I believe Hines will retire. His better days are behind him and watching from the sideline isnt his thing. I think he'd rather get a lot of reps or be done. I'm just glad they got him 1,000 receptions. Wouldn't mind bringing him back as a coach though.

Not sure what'll happen with Farrior. Doubt they cut him, but his playing time needs to be diminished greatly.
    They'd be dumb to bring back Farrior.

Foote is younger, cheaper, and arguably just as capable as Farrior is at this point in his career. I could seem them trying to keep Casey Hampton around, but I don't know why. He's old, expensive, and nothing mroe than a 2-down space eater. They would be better off trying to get someone like Aubrayo Frankling, Sione Pouha, Paul Soliali, or Red Bryant.

Ike Taylor is old and expensive.
    Troy P is old and expensive.
    Harrison is old and expensive.
    Clark is older and expensive.

I think the Steelers could be competitive next year, but they really need to whole heartedly see what their young guys can do. I'm talking guys like Mundy, Crezdon Butler, Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Chris Carter, Cameron Hayward, Ziggy Hood, Sylvester, McClendon, etc.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 52decleetzu View Post
    They are going to have to cut anyone over 30 who is not named Polamalu.....watch.
    They really need to ask themselves is he worth the $$$.

I think he is, but only if they can get that defense back in working order. When he's out there with no help he becomes a very average cover safety.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I think he is, but only if they can get that defense back in working order. When he's out there with no help he becomes a very average cover safety.
    I hope they keep him around. He's not gonna last too much longer the way he tackles. He's due for a serious neck injury the way he leads with his head every time. I'm not wishing injury on the guy, just stating that he puts himself in a great position to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Problem is they just gave him an extension, they couldn't get rid of him even if they wanted to. He signed a 4 yr 36.5 deal right before the season. He isn't going anywhere.

Blog Entries

I really hope Ward does not retire in 2012. That would be one of 53 who would be close to useless on the Steelers roster... Bc