Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 323

Thread: How did we do?

  1. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    3,361

    Re: How did we do?



    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Alex Mack only weighs 311 lbs and he manages just fine in the AFC North/NFL. Is not about how much you weigh being a line man its all technique. Using technique to best utilize your strength. Bottom line whether you like a guy or not you know nothing on how the player is going to play until training camp/ preseason comes. Then you can judge.
    I just thought the pick was a reach; I thought Ben Jones was a better fit for the zone blocking scheme we employ. Apparently the Ravens and others had him rated higher than Jones. We'll see. Ironically Jones was snapped up by the Texans not long afterwards.




  2. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,318
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    No offense meant (because we all do it) but this is really flawed thinking, and here's why.

    First, Everyone predicts what the Ravens greatest needs are and then ranks them in some fashion. Then, we rank players according to what we think are the best ones. Finally, we judge the success of the draft based on those two factors.

    The problem is that what we think are the greatest needs of the Ravens may not at all be what the Ravens see as their greatest needs, so they are operating on a different set of criteria from the get-go. Then, the players we think are the best are not necessarily who the Ravens think are the best, so our perception becomes even more skewed. So, essentially, we are judging the success or failure of a team's draft based on criteria that may not even be valid.

    Maybe the Ravens got most every player they really wanted, and maybe the players those other teams got aren't going to pan out at the NFL level. We really don't know for sure, so to say one team did great and another team did poorly is silly, really.

    I think Cincinnati knocked it out of the park, but it could be that those guys don't do jack in the pros. I think Seattle had a really weird draft, but those guys may be just the players they needed to fit their schemes and get into the playoffs.

    So, did the other teams have a better draft? By whose standard? It's all a guess.

    By the Ravens standards. Another reporter who was on the 105 fm tonight said the
    Ravens weren't as excited this year as they were last year with Jimmy and Torrey.
    He also said Ozzie rated Chandler Jones and Hightower amongst the highest on their
    board - higher than Upshaw.


    Piss improved their o-line, Cinci did well and even Cleve improved their offense although
    they have a lot more holes to fill.

    We don't know about Upshaw who was originally rated in the top 15 but dropped all the
    way down to #35 in the second largely because he has short arms and NFL scouts
    believe he'll be wrapped up by bigger OTs. We're not sure about the Guard we got
    who will compete with another young one, Reid, so there's no improvement there and we got a Center who won't play this year.

    Joe's gonna get killed again.

    The original reporter was right.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  3. #39

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Maniac View Post
    Yeah, but we took a lot of under the radar guys Sean and some actually scored pretty high marks according to some of the "experts".
    That's why i said it's too early to grade us, or anyone for that matter. However, our main compitition in the AFC, had scary drafts on paper. Obviously Eric and Ozzie even sounded bewildered, about losing the players they wanted. Not to mention there are usually 25 leftover players from their boards, for UFA, and only 3 in this draft. Eric already referenced less successful drats being close to this.
    Hey it happens sometimes, other teams get it right once in a while. I'll take our guys anyday, and i love the Pierce move. We'll need to replace Rice next year.




  4. #40

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I like the potential we gained today. I love Streeter, he brings physical gifts and lacks the things he can be coached, I love seeing that in prospects, whether or not he responds is the question, but I'm incredibly pleased with that pick

    Other than taking Gradakowski so early I was very pleased. I give it a B+
    It's not like Ozzy to jump the gun early on a guy that he knows will be there in later rounds, he tries to stretch as much value from a pick as possible. Gradkowski is known as a gritty, tough player that stresses the fundamentals of the game. He has strong leadership abilities and very good blocking technique. He's a Pittsburgh native and the feeling was that the Steelers were going to grab him in the 4th before we picked. It's true that he was slated to go more toward the 6th, but in the end I think that GG is going to be considered one of the steals of the 2012 draft.




  5. #41

    Re: How did we do?

    B+.

    Upshaw was the steal of the draft at 35. He was top 15 rated till he sat out the combine drills.

    Not sure about Pierce, I thought we had bigger needs than RB.

    Streeter might be a steal. Gradkowski was a solid pick, but they might have reached a bit there, but at least they did get a quality replacement for Birk.

    Not sure about Osemele, didn't know much about him really. Physcially though, he's got the tools to be effective, moreso than Grubbs for sure.




  6. #42

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Exactly my point. You think that, but maybe the Ravens didn't think that way. If you grade the draft based on your criteria, it may be that the Ravens aren't operating under that premise in the first place.
    Well, that's true.




  7. #43

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    That's why i said it's too early to grade us, or anyone for that matter. However, our main compitition in the AFC, had scary drafts on paper. Obviously Eric and Ozzie even sounded bewildered, about losing the players they wanted. Not to mention there are usually 25 leftover players from their boards, for UFA, and only 3 in this draft. Eric already referenced less successful drats being close to this.
    Hey it happens sometimes, other teams get it right once in a while. I'll take our guys anyday, and i love the Pierce move. We'll need to replace Rice next year.
    I think the biggest problem was that we picked so damn far back this year, all of the teams that we normally pick in back of us like Pitt and NE were ahead this year. (Sucks to be so good sometimes




  8. #44

    Re: How did we do?

    We filled important holes, but without any basis for saying so, I believe our AFC counterparts improved their teams, while we essentially maintained the status quo from last season. I would have felt a bit better by adding one of the higher rated WR's, because we desperately need another playmaker for Joe. I like Streeter (only 1 year of productive play in college), but think he's a season or two away from contributing. There will definitely be a ton to follow during training camp...




  9. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Black Hole
    Posts
    336

    Re: How did we do?

    I love listening to people complain about teams that picked before them every round getting better players. A+ to you guys.




  10. #46

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtlesNBirds View Post
    We filled important holes, but without any basis for saying so, I believe our AFC counterparts improved their teams, while we essentially maintained the status quo from last season. I would have felt a bit better by adding one of the higher rated WR's, because we desperately need another playmaker for Joe. I like Streeter (only 1 year of productive play in college), but think he's a season or two away from contributing. There will definitely be a ton to follow during training camp...
    Unfortunately, time will show this to have been the worst Ravens draft class in franchise history. Hate to say it, but my gut says this was a terrible draft as I look across the picks as a whole. Sorry.




  11. #47

    Re: How did we do?

    How many other team are claiming the "steal of the draft?"




  12. #48

    Re: How did we do?

    Quote Originally Posted by SimiValleyFan View Post
    Unfortunately, time will show this to have been the worst Ravens draft class in franchise history. Hate to say it, but my gut says this was a terrible draft as I look across the picks as a whole. Sorry.
    I can't see this draft class being worse than the draft classes of 2004 and 2005.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland