Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: NFL stadium-mania - when, not "if", it comes to Baltimore

I don't see the Ravens doing any real chirping for another 10 years at the least. Even then it would be for reasonable renovations. Baltimore isn't going to build a new baseball or football stadium for at least another 20 years. The Rams want upgrades that total about $700 million. To me, that situation isn't as much about the stadium as it is them trying to find an excuse to leave St. Louis and move back to LA.

I could actually see them adding those moving walk things you see at airports on the ramps leading to the upper decks. Would actually be a neat upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I also didn't think much of the Superdome, but some folks think having a roof somehow makes the stadium better. I disagree. Football was meant to be played out of doors, in the cold.
    See below re Superdome.

I disagree with your interpretation re about "how football was meant to be played". Historically, football had been equated with nippy Fall "sweater weather", not the brutal cold of late December & January.

Before the NFL became the major TV sport and expanded its teams from 12 to 32 and its season from 12 to 14 to 16 headed to 18, and playoffs from a single game to the multi-tiered event of today, its season ended shortly after the college season ended with the Army-Navy game around Thanksgiving, after which the colleges went South for bowl games. The bitter cold, blizzard conditions, along with the shirtless morons hamming it up for the TV cameras, are late 20th Century byproducts of NFL playing games in open air stadiums in the Winter for TV audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by flraven View Post
    Agree with you about the Superdome, its like watching football in a movie theater.
    My opinion is the opposite .... I lived several years in New Orleans, attending most Saints games, and I still occasionally attend games there while on travel. In my opinion, the Superdome is still one of the best stadiums in the US. Outstanding sightlines in the vertically oriented downtown stadium. AC comfort in the midst of the oppressive Louisiana heat & humidity. Fantastic, very comfortable place to watch a game, with noise levels achievable only in a domed stadium. The post-game festivities outside the stadium and down nearby Bourbon Street can't be matched at any other NFL city. I rank the Superdome as one of the top three NFL stadiums (from a fans perspective, not caring about suites), and New Orleans is up there with Nashville as my favorite road trip destination.

NFL powers are obviously in some agreement: New Orleans is tied with Miami for the most Super Bowls (10) after this season.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    I love camden yards.
    So do the Yankees

Blog Entries

Agree about the outside of the Superdome but the inside is nothing to get excited for, just another stadium. I went there when the Ravens played back in 06 I believe and as far as just the stadium by itself I can't see how it can be a top three. I admit I did have a BLAST and no other city's festivities when going to a game can match it.
    Last edited by Jayc00; 05-15-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    It is just a matter of time before most 'fans' (short for fanatics) will face a hard choice between lifestyle basics and watching their favorite team perform. How are they going afford to get their weekly/daily 'fix'?

CC
    I don't think it's an absurd notion. Sans PPV, it's pretty much that way now. One used to be able to get into an NFL game for a few bucks. You can barely get by the cover charge or buy a McDonald's meal and watch at home for that price. PPV is the next logical step. Besides, with so many people in areas following different teams, the NFL will soon catch on that they should offer team-specific packages and such on a PPV-subscription basis.

However, I think before ticket prices get too out of hand, you'll see a sort of restructuring of finances. The reason being that if it's too expensive for regular people to go to games, governments will withdraw public support for stadium financing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The Rams want upgrades that total about $700 million. To me, that situation isn't as much about the stadium as it is them trying to find an excuse to leave St. Louis and move back to LA.
    I agree. I can't think of any logical reason to spend that much to upgrade that stadium when you can get a whole new one at that price. Besides, the NY and Dallas stadiums were around 25% more expensive, however, they were built in NY and Dallas by their owners.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    So do the Yankees
    Not tonight.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    But aren't our Thursday and Monday night games also picked up by a local affiliate? I only recently got cable back, and I still don't have the NFL network, but I remember watching the Falcons game in 2010...
    Based on my personal experience, it appears that only the two cities/metro areas who have teams in the game, are granted free access by the NFL on a local channel. Now WHICH channel seems a bit confusing to me. I don't know if there is an established rule(s). You would think an ESPN game would be shown on the local ABC affiliate since the two networks are now part of the same conglomerate. But NFL Network games - what is the rule for them?

This appears (to me at least) to be the only concession in pro sports today to accommodate fans without cable-satellite access.