Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Posts
    1,851

    Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...



    ...so how the Hell are they doing these signings of Pollard, McBeam, Kemo and Jacoby Jones?





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    12,943
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    They must've signed him to a deal that would fit under the cap. According to this article, when he visited there was less than $2M left : http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...rey-smith-week

    Jones has already visited with the Carolina Panthers after his release from the Texans. The Ravens currently have less than $2 million of salary cap space.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jumped off Couch
    Posts
    1,013
    The DT's are close to minimum deals so they shouldn't have any cap impact.

    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk




  4. #4

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    i may be mistaken, but i believe only the top 53 salaries actually are in effect until the finalization of the roster. So these league minimum guys have hardly any effect on the salary cap. IF we had 2 million and signed 5 guys, but only one was signed at above league minimum, those other 4 dont really take away from that pool of money leaving it for the 1 guy entirely. Im assuming Jones contract was heavily back loaded if it is indeed 2 year 7 million.
    -JAB




  5. #5

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    I would also assume that they worked some cap magic with Pollard's deal. I believe his pre-extension salary this year was about 3m, so what they could have done with his extension is drop his "base" 2012 salary down to the vet minimum, which for a 7 year vet should be just under 900k, and award him a significant signing bonus to make up for the drop in base salary. That would free up another 2m. That money could have been used to sign the two DTs and have a tiny bit of breathing space. I'm sure both are on non-guaranteed deals and I don't expect both of them to make it through camp.

    As for the Jacoby Jones signing, that one I'm not sure about. If his deal is like Pollard and McKinnie's both were last year, it would really be a 1 year deal with a 2nd year "option." But that means his 2012 salary would have to be fairly high since there wouldn't be a signing bonus to use for proration purposes. We haven't seen the contract details yet but that's the one that's a little perplexing to me.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,357
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I would also assume that they worked some cap magic with Pollard's deal. I believe his pre-extension salary this year was about 3m, so what they could have done with his extension is drop his "base" 2012 salary down to the vet minimum, which for a 7 year vet should be just under 900k, and award him a significant signing bonus to make up for the drop in base salary. That would free up another 2m. That money could have been used to sign the two DTs and have a tiny bit of breathing space. I'm sure both are on non-guaranteed deals and I don't expect both of them to make it through camp.

    As for the Jacoby Jones signing, that one I'm not sure about. If his deal is like Pollard and McKinnie's both were last year, it would really be a 1 year deal with a 2nd year "option." But that means his 2012 salary would have to be fairly high since there wouldn't be a signing bonus to use for proration purposes. We haven't seen the contract details yet but that's the one that's a little perplexing to me.
    According to Ravor's spreadsheet Pollard's cap value before this signing was $2.05 million. We need to see the structure in this new deal to see if they saved anything. Even if they dropped his based way down he would have to receive very little in bonus to save significant space which I doubt any player would agree to.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  7. #7

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    According to Ravor's spreadsheet Pollard's cap value before this signing was $2.05 million. We need to see the structure in this new deal to see if they saved anything. Even if they dropped his based way down he would have to receive very little in bonus to save significant space which I doubt any player would agree to.
    Yeah if we did save anything it could not have been very much. His cap number was 1.75 (don't see 2.05 on the sheet)




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,357
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Yeah if we did save anything it could not have been very much. His cap number was 1.75 (don't see 2.05 on the sheet)
    Here's the link. Pollard is row 35

    http://www.ravens24x7.com/content/do...ap-3-12-12.xls
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  9. #9

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    ...so how the Hell are they doing these signings of Pollard, McBeam, Kemo and Jacoby Jones?
    1. McBean and Kemo signed veteran minimum deal (at least, I'm assuming that for McBean), so they only had modest impact on the Cap - a $100-150K each.

    2. We'll have to see how Jones' and Pollard's deals are structured, but I would assuming that they made enough room with Pollard's deal to accommodate Jones' deal.

    3. It's possible that they restructured a deal, but they seemed pretty adamant that they did not want to go there.

    4. At this time of year, only the top 51 cap numbers count, so once a new player is signed a player making $390K or $465K is removed from the top 51. As such, for each signing, there is also an offset against the Cap.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-09-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  10. #10

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Heard a month or so ago that the Ravens on the radio when
    Bisciotti was asked about it said Moriarty had 10-12 different scenarios to clear enough cap space if needed based on what
    The club wanted to do/ not worried about it.




  11. Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Heard a month or so ago that the Ravens on the radio when
    Bisciotti was asked about it said Moriarty had 10-12 different scenarios to clear enough cap space if needed based on what
    The club wanted to do/ not worried about it.
    Would not be surprised if someone got cut or they could do deals for flacco or rice which would save on the cap for this year.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: Ravens supposedly have little to no cap space...

    Quote Originally Posted by mommathurgoesthatman View Post
    Would not be surprised if someone got cut or they could do deals for flacco or rice which would save on the cap for this year.
    That is what I was thinking. I think the Ravens don't have to be under the cap until the the start of the season, so they have time for some things to work out. Maybe they are getting good signs about getting Rice and/or Flacco signed soon.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland