Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jamal Lewis files for bankruptcy

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Maniac View Post
    After hearing about JLews financial crisis, I'm questioning his motives for jumping on board with the concussion lawsuits.
    Lewis has a net worth of $4 million and brings in 400k a year in income, he is doing just fine.

But that by no means says that he still isn't trying to grab some free money from the NFL, which he is as most of the other "plaintiffs" are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Except he'll negotiate with the companies he owes and try to get his payments down, extended, reduced, etc. It's very unusual for a person to file chapter 11; it's usually large business that use this bankruptcy option.
    I think chapter 11 allows him to work out a deal with who ever he owes. Small companies do it all the time when something happens that doesn't allow them to make payments on time or creditors are breathing down their necks. It gives him breathing room to satisfy creditors.

Im actually surprised to hear this. Everything I had ever heard about Jamal off the field was he was very smart with his money and had several buisnesses that were doing well. But I guess things change

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    5 houses, multiple cars, cash cow businesses... oh the horror for Jamal!

And here I sit debating as to whether or not I can afford to kick out $220.00 for a new string strimmer to replace the 22 year old $65.00 model that finally fell apart yesterday because now the cheaper units are just that... cheap and built like crap.

Maybe I should claim bankruptcy so I can replace the trimmer and continue on with the painting and new storm door project I already began committing the few spare dollars to that I can muster up right now.
    Huh. That explains why the one that cost me $85 a couple years ago appears to be a piece of crap.

After hearing about JLews financial crisis, I'm questioning his motives for jumping on board with the concussion lawsuits.
    You can look at it that way if you want, or you could observe that his career in the NFL led to (a) him being unprepared to dispose of his money responsibly and (b) him getting hit in the head a bunch of times. In which case both things have the same cause but one is not the reason for the other.

I think it is brutally unsympathetic of some of you, on the one hand, (a) to enjoy this sport played by young men who have been playing it since they were boys and are, by and large, unsophisticated, and (b) to dismiss their struggles as they grapple with real life financial and health decisions they made because of this pedestal we've put them on.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    Im actually surprised to hear this. Everything I had ever heard about Jamal off the field was he was very smart with his money and had several buisnesses that were doing well. But I guess things change

Found this on Ripoff Report.. One of his employees of the trucking company spills the beans on how poorly things were run..

http://www.ripoffreport.com/trucking...ankr-ee9e0.htm

word.....seems typical
    "Old Man my Ass!" - John Malkovich

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I think it is brutally unsympathetic of some of you, on the one hand, (a) to enjoy this sport played by young men who have been playing it since they were boys and are, by and large, unsophisticated, and (b) to dismiss their struggles as they grapple with real life financial and health decisions they made because of this pedestal we've put them on.
    Or (c) we fans acknowledge the dangers of football, particularly head traumas, and feel that players like Jamal, who appear to be out for a quick buck, are taking attention and money away from a very important issue.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Or (c) we fans acknowledge the dangers of football, particularly head traumas, and feel that players like Jamal, who appear to be out for a quick buck, are taking attention and money away from a very important issue.
    Eh. The lawsuit is calling attention to an important issue. The character assassination is detracting.

I'm not saying he's right or he's wrong to sue, but I'm willing to see how the lawsuit goes.

You say tomato, I say tomato.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Ah, the reorganization of finances. No worries, anything he defaults on will be paid by the rest of us. Good stuff.

Blog Entries

Hartwell filed for bankruptcy too after defaulting on his $22M beach front estate.

So many are sqaundering what very few of us get. Damn shame.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cealex1223 View Post
    Ah, the reorganization of finances. No worries, anything he defaults on will be paid by the rest of us. Good stuff.
    Huh? Ive seen plenty of Ch. 11 plans where all the creditors -- even the unsecured -- get paid in full. Just over a longer timeline than they originally planned. Often the only time people get screwed is when some of the secured creditors (read: banks, who already get their bailout money nobody else gets) get a bug up their ass and object to the plan, and force liquidation and screw the unsecured creditors (vendors, suppliers, etc.) out of everything. It ain't the guy filing the BK that's the dick; take it up with the assholes at the bank, who already get their money no matter what. They can afford to wait on their money, but often they don't. They force people to liquidate perfectly good businesses and prevent them from paying the ones who really need and deserve the money.

This filing is pretty typical of the current economy and says nothing whatsoever about (a) head trauma in the NFL, or (b) what kind of person or businessman Jamal is.

A sizeable percentage of those who have any decent amount of business and assets is in Chapter 11 right now, or just got finished with it recently.
    Last edited by Mista T; 05-28-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: political reference removed

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Found this on Ripoff Report.. One of his employees of the trucking company spills the beans on how poorly things were run..

http://www.ripoffreport.com/trucking...ankr-ee9e0.htm
    Wow... that sheds a lot of light on things... seems he got screwed over by the people he trusted to run the company then he screwed everyone else over